Pashley Parabike Conversion

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster
Actually the battery had just come off the full mark. I based the 50 % usage on the recharge time of 4.5hrs ( according to Woosh it takes about 10 hours to recharge one of their 15 Ah batteries from flat with the supplied charger ).

D

Deleted member 4366

That's not correct. Even a 2A charger would charge it from flat in 7.5 hrs. How many amps is written on your charger?

A battery should be charged at 0.2C, which is 3A for a 15Ah one. That would take 5 hours from empty, so if yours took 4.5 hrs, it was nearly empty.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
woosh charger is rated 42V 1.9A by SANS electronics - allowing for first time balancing, the recommendation of leaving it on for 10 hours on first charge does not seem exagerated.

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster
Well, they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I'm going to extend the ride I did earlier in the week to 80 miles. If I get home without the battery running out that's good enough for me regardless of how long it takes to recharge. :cool:

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster
I have now completed 384 miles since the conversion, some of it in absolutely atrocious conditions.

The BBSO1 has not missed a beat, I'm so impressed.

I took it on the Malvern Mad Hatter Sportive on Sunday and did not get one cry of "cheat" from anyone, in fact no one seems to notice the conversion at all it was so quiet.

I bought a programming cable from Empowered Cycles in the USA and have programmed the motor for a sensible balance of power VS battery consumption. Most of all to I wanted a motor response which complimented the way I ride my bikes which after some experimentation I have achieved.

My final settings : -

I made no changes to the BASIC settings.
In the PEDAL ASSIST TAB I lowered the START CURRENT from 20% to 10% as I have a 5 speed Sturmey Archer IGH and I wanted to treat it gently.
I reduced the TIME OF STOP(x10ms) from 25 to 20 to help gear changes.
I increased the KEEP CURRENT from 20% to 60% which has transformed the performance of the kit but still gives a very good range.
In the THROTTLE TAB I have changed the MODE from SPEED to CURRENT and lowered the START CURRENT (%) from 10 to 5 to help preserve the drive train.

The battery and rack have performed without problem and complement the rest of the conversion.

In addition to purchasing a 44T Bafang chainwheel (stock is 46T) I have fitted a pair of chain tensioners from Hollandbikeshop.com to help deal with the extra power.

Price of the BBS01 kit including C961 display ( I wanted motor control under my left thumb) was £330 inc P/P.
The 15Ah battery and rack cost £345 inc P/P. Both were supplied by Woosh by next day delivery.

In summary the conversion has transformed a very heavy steel bike into a pleasurable ride in the hilly area in which I live. With the experience I have had It is unlikely I will buy another purpose built E-bike and may well put my Kalkoff up for sale as it is spending most of its time in the garage.

BBS01 Final.jpg