Pedal assist

Flathandsem

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 2, 2020
Hello , say iam eCo mode and on the hardest gear, because iam on the flat and still want the exercise, do I use much electric. Sorry for dumb question

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Probably not using much electric at all. If you can get to over 16mph or so the motor should stop assisting and not use any power.

Consider pedalling faster in a lower gear; you won't push so hard for the same speed; you will get a tad more exercise with less risk of damage to your knees.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hello , say iam eCo mode and on the hardest gear, because iam on the flat and still want the exercise, do I use much electric. Sorry for dumb question
If a question needs to be asked, it's never dumb.

However there are variables in the question that make a definitive answer impossible. Broadly speaking that uses the least current, but your own preference for cadence (pedal rotation speed), the gear you are using and the way in which the motor is controlled by your pedalling can vary the degree of current usage.

Best would be Eco mode, the gear you are able to put in the most thrust effort and the e-bike having a cadence sensor, not torque sensor, so unable to know how much effort you are putting in so unable to match it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Intestresting about your last point as well
I take it you mean sjpt's mention of knee damage and I totally agree. Far too many cyclists end up with seriously damaged knee joints and crippling arthritis due to using cadences that are too slow. Doubling the pedalling speed with a lower gear halves the thrust necessary on each stroke so greatly lessens any damage. Standing on the pedals and slogging does huge damage.