Pedal assist

Parsons

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2018
Hi guys can a pedal assist sensor just stop working by if self. A few days ago I swapped my controller and display for a new one but didn't like it as it was lacking power so I went to my old one loads better but now I can't get my pedal assist to work everything else works fine like the throttle and the e-brake cut off

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The wire sequence might be wrong or a setting might not be correct.

Parsons

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2018
B4 I swapped my controller and display over to the KT set it was working fine all colours matched etc. No p setting touched on the sw900 display I had to chop the ends off the pedal assist sensor so I could match it to the KT controller but as I didn't like it I've now join the wires back together to the old controller the funny thing is on p10 on the sw900 display set 0 is pedal assist 1 throttle 2 pedal assist and throttle whichever setting I use it still got throttle all the time

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The old controller likely is a speed controller so the KT would have felt lacking as it uses current control, only PAS 4 or 5 as well as throttle would have a similar feel to the old controller.
I suspect the wiring order may be wrong or maybe the hall has failed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It it uses wire block connectors then one can test by poking meter probes in to the back for a contact, if it used WP connectors then one has to make up a Y wire connector that allows probe access or open the controller and test directly form the pcb.

Parsons

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2018
Thank you mate will take a look yes mine is the 5wire block am I looking for 5v or you mean the pedal assist wires

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The PAS will only have a three wire connector.
Check for 5v between Gnd & 5v , if ok put bike on a stand and whilst rotating the cranks check for voltage switching on/off when probing Gnd & Sig

Reactions: Bonzo Banana

Parsons

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2018
I guess you mean the contractor side OK mate will check and let you know thank you

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One has to test with the PAS connected, trace the wiring to the connector and simply place the probes up the back of the connection (doesn't matter which side of the connector) and carry out the process with the bike power on.

No use testing without the PAS connected as one needs to know the PAS hall is working correctly.

One can't do any damage by probing the back of the connectors unless the two probes touch each other and short out.