Pedelec Accident Data - slowly coming online

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
  • Every tenth cyclist killed in a traffic accident rides a pedelec
  • Eight out of every ten traffic fatalities are over the age of 65
  • Risk of death is twice as high as riding a normal bicycle
Interpreting these stats is for once very easy. More old people than young people ride pedelecs. You have more risk of dying when you are old. You have more risk of dying on your pedelec if you are out riding it.

5.55% of people who died on a bike in Germany in 2014 were on a pedelec and over 74. Life expectancy for a man in Germany 78, woman 83...

Moral:

Insuring older people who are out riding their pedelec is a risky business. Quick, we need laws to stop them doing it, they are hurting our profits! If you are old please stay at home and die in bed.

"Though these fast cycles can reach a speed of up to 25 km/h, helmets are not required in Germany." Oh my god look! I'm doing 25 kph!!! Freaking awesome!

Shall I stop now? What a load of b***cks...:eek:

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Loads of people die in hospitals which is one reason why I quit working for the NHS:rolleyes:

More accidents happen at home than anywhere else.

The cost to society of UK home accident injuries has been estimated at over £45 billion per annum.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeithH

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2013
essex
This is a press release therefor the data contained in it are
likely to be incomplete.

The incidence should be reported in terms of distance traveled not number of "vehicles". Perhaps pedelec journeys are longer and/or more likely to occur all the year round.

The probability of a fatal outcome injury from a given injury increases with age.

Much more useful information would be a comparison of the injury severity (ISS) of EAPAC vs peddle bike incidents.

Given that the figures in the press release are from a reputable source I suspect they have been spun to death.

EddieH

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2015
Every tenth cyclist killed in a traffic accident rides a pedelec

This means that 90% of the cyclists killed in traffic accident were on ordinary cycles.
Ergo pedelecs are 90% safer than non-powered cycles.

PhilX

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2012
Seaford East Sussex
Sozs...

Non- Electric.
69,400,000 riders 357 deaths = 194,397 : 1 chances of croaking

Electric.
1,600,000 riders 39 deaths = 41,025 : 1 chances of croaking

Can't take the age bit in to account as the figures aren't given for non electric though I would guess that more oldies fall victim than young people.

EPAC's are 5 times as lethal then.... and they say crack cocaine isn't good for you... or sausage & bacon. Another bloody thing I've got to give up.
Phil

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although they speak of pedelecs, I wonder if their popular S class e-bikes have got mixed up in the figures. Could easily happen and at speeds up to 45 kph could be a distorting factor.

Just noticed I'd slipped past 30,000 posts without realising it. This latest Cherry brand keyboard is lasting much better than the three previous cheapo ones.

Last edited:

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
The trouble with statistics, is that someone can make them say whatever they want according to their agenda.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The trouble with statistics, is that someone can make them say whatever they want according to their agenda.
Quite....to my knowledge nobody has died on a Kudos bike so they must be 100 % safe,hehe!!!
KudosDave
ps.....if you want to distort those figures include pedelecs ridden in China,I bet the percentage is very high.....actually the chinese are reckless on e-bikes,they ride minimum 800 watt mini mopeds (similar to the ones that have 250 watt stickers in the UK!),sometimes ridden 3 up by young chinese. Whilst many on this forum complain about the 250 watt x 15 mph limitations,the chinese situation would be repeated here without the limitations,I think that would be a very dangerous situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: OxygenJames

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Cherry Brandy keyboard?
Would be more likely to be coffee-spill keyboard with me Mike!

I'd got fed up with the usual computer keyboards so went looking for something better and tripped over the Cherry top quality brand. I bought the G80-3000, quite expensive but excellent in use. Link to website.

C

Cyclezee

Just noticed I'd slipped past 30,000 posts without realising it. This latest Cherry brand keyboard is lasting much better than the three previous cheapo ones.
Congratulations Tony, another milestone reached;)

That's more posts than those losers in 2nd, 3rd and 4th position combinedo_O

As for keyboard longevity, maybe you have developed a lighter touch:)

C

Cyclezee

Not likely with the way I attack keyboards.

Not so much touch-typing, more touched-typing. :eek:
That reminds me of a secretary that I used to know, she learned her craft with manual typewriters and hammered the hell out of computer keyboards.

Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
New Allianz TV ad out soon:

"Every time you hit the road on your pedelec an Allianz insurance agent lights a candle and says a prayer"

Govt road safety ad:

Group of senior citizens in leathers and cut off denim come screaming towards the camera on pedelecs pedalling like madmen and women. One screams "24.9 kph, I done it!" immediately falls off and croaks. Text scrolls over image "Speed kills - stay home in front of the telly"

:rolleyes:

Reactions: PhilX

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That reminds me of a secretary that I used to know, she learned her craft with manual typewriters and hammered the hell out of computer keyboards.
You've probably hit the nail on the head. I used to use the old mechanical office typewriters, even had an Olivetti portable as well back in the 1950s, so I probably still tend to use the same force. This new keyboard has progessive resistance so doesn't instantly bottom out under the stress of key strokes.