Pedelec Accident Data - slowly coming online

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
From these early results it looks as if the same upper age limit question needs to be addressed, like driving a car you need to make the decision when you are no longer safe to use it on the road, but there are no tests to enforce it on an EAPC.

Reactions: anotherkiwi

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
From these early results it looks as if the same upper age limit question needs to be addressed, like driving a car you need to make the decision when you are no longer safe to use it on the road, but there are no tests to enforce it on an EAPC.
Not that straightforward though. They say more old people than young die on pedelecs.

I would expect that, just look at this forum where 80% of the members are in the second half of life at over 40, and the minority below are predominantly not too far from that. The imbalance is mainly that pedelecs are so much more likely to be ridden in later years when assistance becomes more necessary.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Not that straightforward though. They say more old people than young die on pedelecs.

I would expect that, just look at this forum where 80% of the members are in the second half of life at over 40, and the minority below are predominantly not too far from that. The imbalance is mainly that pedelecs are so much more likely to be ridden in later years when assistance becomes more necessary.
Second half of life at over 40!.....WINE in moderation,WOMEN as part of my five-a-day and I cant SING so I hope 2x40 is easily achievable,hehe
KudosDave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Second half of life at over 40!..
KudosDave
Afraid so Dave, current life expectancy for UK males is 78.2 years.

So 40 is already into the second half on average. Your expectancy as an advantaged person is higher of course, and all the figures are expected to increase over time.

EddieH

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2015
Already died 3 times so no need to do it again.

KeithH

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2013
essex
A couple of broken ribs is a trivial (if painful) injury for a 20 yr old. The same injury can be lethal for someone who's 70.
Do older riders have more accidents or do they just die more easily.

Reactions: flecc

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009

But only if they are still safe to ride i.e. they are not impaired by restrictive conditions which might impact on other road users.

There is no testing for competence required it is down to the individual to assess.

I was glad my late father gave up driving, he ignored all the families advice and it was only after an accident that shook him up he came to the decision to stop, luckily no one was injured.

The money he saved by not having a car on the road was invested in hiring taxis.

All I am trying to say is that EAPCs are sometimes not the answer to all the problems of getting old there are safer alternatives out there.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All I am trying to say is that EAPCs are sometimes not the answer to all the problems of getting old there are safer alternatives out there.
I totally agree, and with driving I'm aware of my advancing age and watch for signs of deterioration. Regularly checking my ability to meet the eyesight requirements lead me to have both cataracts dealt with two years ago, resulting in eyesight that can read a number plate at almost three times the statutory distance.

And I will also pack in driving and use public transport and taxis when it becomes evident that I'm not able to match what's needed. Unless of course the self-driving cars arrive first!

Reactions: shemozzle999

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
From a safety point of view I wonder if the introduction of brighter led traffic / vehicle lights help those who are colour blind?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wonder if the introduction of brighter led traffic / vehicle lights help those who are colour blind?
That's a good point. Fortunately those who confuse or can't differentiate colours can and do act based upon which position light is lit. It would be disastrous for them if a single lamp with three colour LEDs was introduced!

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Some countries and states have horizontal lights and you have to remember which is the stop one.

Apparently in Quebec the lights have particular shapes to help you tell what they are, especially for colour blind drivers. Red is a square, Yellow is a diamond, a square rotated 45 degrees and Green is a circle

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Some countries and states have horizontal lights and you have to remember which is the stop one.

Apparently in Quebec the lights have particular shapes to help you tell what they are, especially for colour blind drivers. Red is a square, Yellow is a diamond, a square rotated 90 degrees and Green is a circle
don't you mean 45 degrees?

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
What about a design of a Pelecec reflective logo for cycling jackets to highlight the rider at night?