Pedelec Speedometer / Cyclocomputer ?

Intex

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2008
Which basic speedometer is recommended for a pedelec such as the ProConnect?
I only need speed and trip distance log, but prefer something easy to read (digital) and preferably wireless.

Is CatEye a good choice?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wireless can be troublesome due to RF interference, and this is particularly true on e-bikes.

I regard Cateye's Velo range as being the most reliable cycle computers on the market, probably the reason why so many dealers stock them. My favourite is the Velo 8 which includes all the important features, but if you just want the basics, the Velo 5 does the job.

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
If the Mach 1 computer is not wireless can you tell me how it connects to the wheel sensor? Is there some sort of cable drive?

Thanks Rod

PS Can you give some idea of its other functions?

Hooligooner

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2008
HP13
hooligooner.blogspot.com
For those of you with a Symbian smartphone with GPS it is possible to track you cycle rides on the phone and post them up to the internet.

This was my route to work, I have been experimenting with the functionality for blogging future long distance rides so had it switch on this morning.

Obviously the only way to be able to use it as a speedometer whilst actually on the move is to have your phone in plain site, but I'm not too interested to know my speed whilst going anyway.

Does it work OK.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
For those of you with a Symbian smartphone with GPS it is possible to track you cycle rides on the phone and post them up to the internet.

This was my route to work, I have been experimenting with the functionality for blogging future long distance rides so had it switch on this morning.

Obviously the only way to be able to use it as a speedometer whilst actually on the move is to have your phone in plain site, but I'm not too interested to know my speed whilst going anyway.

Does it work OK.
You need to log in to see it, and I hope you haven't put too much detail about where you live and work.

Hooligooner

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2008
HP13
hooligooner.blogspot.com
You need to log in to see it,
Thought that might be the case, thank you, they've changed it since the last time I tried it.

and I hope you haven't put too much detail about where you live and work.
I missed a reasonable bit from the beginning of the route so my actual house isn't next shown on the map.

You can get passed the login screen to get to the community screen to have a look at many route people have added, should give an idea of what it's capable of. Click on the title of the page.

Last edited:

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
I agree about wireless being troublesome.

I have a Cateye EL600 front light with a flashing mode which causes my wireless speedo to go nuts, reporting averages speeds of 80mph or so.

It does the same thing when I get my mobile phone too close.

WIRES ARE GOOD ;)

Regards,

Elephants