Permasmiles

Spinalot

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Sheffield, United Kingdom
I just got back from 50 cycles in Loughborough with a brand spanking new Kalkhoff Agattu C8 Impulse HS tied to the bike rack. This is my first eBike and I have to say the bike is amazing. It sails up hills and has me with a permanent grin on my face. I actually burst out laughing on the first climb up the steep hill outside my house. My neighbours thought I had gone nuts till they had a go and agreed how good it was! My wife had a blast on it too. This is truly the best thing I have ever bought for myself. I feel like a child again.
o/ <--- That is me waving goodbye to the 3 stone I will be losing!

I did have a couple of niggles though.

I got the bike home and noticed immediately that the nut and bolt connecting the front right hand mudguard stay was missing and the mudguard flaps and rattles in the wind. I am not sure if it was missing before I set off home, it could have come loose on the way home and fallen out. I found a temp fix, I found a random old nut and bolt that just fit, but I would like to get the proper ones so they match and look neat.
Also whilst riding and not changing into any gear the pedals will "slip" and seem to come out of gear for a second or two and then back in. It sounds very nasty and is very disconcerting. It is almost like the gears are skipping or something. Is this something I can adjust? It happens in all gears but seems worst when in 5th gear.

I am sure 50cycles will sort me out. I have seen how they are on this board and they always seem helpful.
Fingers crossed.

Will post pics tomorrow when it is light again.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
lol

I almost bought a Kalkhoff but the sale ended at midnight ;)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Spinalot, pleased to hear you are happy with your Kalkhoff ....they are good bikes and I am sure you will have loads of fun as well as getting fitter.

I know that feeling of the big smiles when riding assisted for the first time....actually, you never lose it in my experience :D

I think maybe muckymits is being just a little bit dubious about " 50cycles praising posts " at the moment considering the ongoing dispute over the authenticity of 'whoare' another forum member who is suspected of actually being connected to 50cycles and posting under an assumed name to praise the business and being extremely disparaging about others.

I guess its left most of us feeling just a little bit wary until it is all sorted.

I would say look at the Kudos ambassador thread except all the relevant posts have been removed pending possible legal action.

Probably best that I say no more on that subject for now ;)

Lynda :)

Spinalot

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
hmmmm. I hate forum DRAMA.
Well anyway despite the rolleyes thingy, The bike is amazing and the service I got from them so far has been positive. The bike is certainly the best quality bike I have ever had. I hope I get the problem with the shimano gears sorted though, very disconcerting esp when I just spent the most I have ever spent on a bike.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
I bet their after sales service will prove to be fantastic and almost instant...looking forward to hearing about it.

Pity about the lack of a PDI, but lucky you had a spare old nut.

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
I bet their after sales service will prove to be fantastic and almost instant...looking forward to hearing about it.

Pity about the lack of a PDI, but lucky you had a spare old nut.
:D真正有趣的愤世嫉俗的评论

Sorry I cannot edit this out !!!!!

Alan

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
I've always found the after sales service from 50cycles to be very good.

My friend bought a secondhand Kalkoff pro Connect about 6 months ago and on contacting 50cycles was told that the warranty was transferable.
A few weeks later his battery started playing up and when he returned it for checking they replaced it FOC with a brand new battery. These batteries cost £500.
As with any long established company there will be incidents of costomer dissatisfaction but I would certainly be confident of receiving good after sales service from them.

Last edited:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Also whilst riding and not changing into any gear the pedals will "slip" and seem to come out of gear for a second or two and then back in. It sounds very nasty and is very disconcerting. It is almost like the gears are skipping or something. Is this something I can adjust? It happens in all gears but seems worst when in 5th gear.
The gears need adjusting by the sound of it.

Put the Revoshift shifter on the handlebars into gear 4. Check the two yellow lines on the hub shifter mechanism are lined up, these are visible in a small window on top of the mechanism. If the marks are not aligned, use the cable adjuster on the revoshifter to bring them into alignment. After each adjustment, rotate the revoshifter up to gear 8 and then back down to gear 4...then check the two lines again. You will need to keep an eye on these two lines during the first few hundred miles as everything beds in.

This is explained in the Shimano Tech doc on the link below. It's a PDF document, use the "plus" sign to enlarge the page. The instructions for adjusting the gears is in the top right-hand corner.

CLICK HERE

Spinalot

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Thanks alot Blew it. I will check in the morning.
I could not help myself! We needed some milk so I went out on a night ride! I came all the way up Carr road without stopping! (this is a very steep and long climb.) It was awesome. Difficult to find the words for how happy I am with my new bike. I feel like a kid again.
A week ago I was feeling very down with myself and thinking about how unfit and overweight I am (16 stone) and now because of a simple thing like a bicycle I fell like the challenges I face are not so steep and I can start living my life again.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
No problem Spinalot, the Nexus geared hub can be a bit "sticky" when new, especially in cold weather. They soon settle down and require no further attention for many thousands of miles.

I can still remember the first time I rode a "leccy" five years ago, and still enjoy every ride now....best thing since sliced bread. :D

Have fun with your Kalkhoff C8
Regards
Bob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You may well find a local independent bike shop will have a suitable replacement nut and bolt for your mudguard stay if 50cycles don't have one immediately available.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
you might find the cable needs adjustment a few times until it has stretched a little then it will be fine. I had similar problem on 7 speed hub but now it is pretty slick .

Spinalot

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Thanks for the help everyone. I did as you suggested and it seems that the alignment thing was indeed the issue. I have been out on a 5 mile trip and it has not played up once. I also spoke to the 50Cycles guys and they agreed, but said see how it performs over the weekend. They were surprised that it had gone out of alignment so quickly though.
They are sending a new bolt and nut and a few spares in the post.
I have attached some pics of my new steed in its natural environment of hilly Sheffield outskirts.
*edit* typo
2013-03-01 14.00.47.jpg2013-03-01 14.00.16.jpg

Last edited: