Peugeot City Electric Bike

westcoastsurfer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 3, 2020
Hi, Iam looking for advice on whether to buy a second hand ebike that I have been offererd
Its a 4 year old Black Peugeot City Electric Bike with a panasonic drive crank but I can't find any information on the bike or pictures anywhere on the Internet, I wanted to try review before I decide to buy. Can anyone help with any info or advice or to stay clear. The guy says he bought it from France 4 years ago
Any info will be appreciated

Reactions: Audio2

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Something like this.

A lot depends on how the bike's been used / battery stored. A large fraction of the cost of an electric bike is from the battery. Contact a UK Peugeot bike shop and check on availability spares.

Get a test ride, and depending on that offer about a couple or 300 quid.

westcoastsurfer

Aug 3, 2020
Something like this.

A lot depends on how the bike's been used / battery stored. A large fraction of the cost of an electric bike is from the battery. Contact a UK Peugeot bike shop and check on availability spares.

Get a test ride, and depending on that offer about a couple or 300 quid.

Hi thanks for the reply. Its very like that one but the Handlebars are more like Dutch style and the tyres are black but other than that it's the same! The offer price was for 400 but can have for 300

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are pluses and minuses with bikes like that. Firstly, the motor is pretty weak by modern standards and it surges with each pedal stroke as you go up a hill, which is something that modern bikes don't do. I wouldn't buy it if you're heavy and/or you have steep hills.

Batteries are still plentiful from German Ebay and they're easy to re-cell, so no problems there. The motors are very reliable, but when they eventually go wrong, you're out. Replacements are getting harder to find and there are no spare parts.

If the bike is in good condition and has done low miles and you don't weigh to much, at £300, it could be a good buy.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
If it’s only 4 years old I assume it will be the 36v Panasonic system rather than the earlier 25v system. Do you know the battery spec? I found the original 25v system very smooth (I don’t recall any surging) but was a bit weak on hills. I concur with vfr400, if you and your riding area fit the criteria, it could be a decent buy.

Reactions: westcoastsurfer

westcoastsurfer

Aug 3, 2020
There are pluses and minuses with bikes like that. Firstly, the motor is pretty weak by modern standards and it surges with each pedal stroke as you go up a hill, which is something that modern bikes don't do. I wouldn't buy it if you're heavy and/or you have steep hills.

Batteries are still plentiful from German Ebay and they're easy to re-cell, so no problems there. The motors are very reliable, but when they eventually go wrong, you're out. Replacements are getting harder to find and there are no spare parts.

If the bike is in good condition and has done low miles and you don't weigh to much, at £300, it could be a good buy.
Hi, thank you for your reply it as helped a lot, can you tell me how to know how many miles it will have done, is there something I should look for on the bike or just ask the guy? Thanks again

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi, thank you for your reply it as helped a lot, can you tell me how to know how many miles it will have done, is there something I should look for on the bike or just ask the guy? Thanks again
Wear on the pedals and pedal arms is a clue to high mileage. Original tyres is a clue to not high mileage, and the amount of wear would give some indication to how much. Pips still on original tyres says very low mileage.

westcoastsurfer

Aug 3, 2020
Wear on the pedals and pedal arms is a clue to high mileage. Original tyres is a clue to not high mileage, and the amount of wear would give some indication to how much. Pips still on original tyres says very low mileage.
Thank you very much I will now look for things like that on this or any other bike, again, many thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
One extra warning. Wicky above already pointed out that battery is a significant cost and can be an issue in a 2nd hand bike. One specific issue he didn't mention is that batteries can suffer from lack of use, e.g. if they have either been stored a long time on very low charge or on very high charge. This can often be an issue with a very low mileage bike.

westcoastsurfer

Aug 3, 2020
One extra warning. Wicky above already pointed out that battery is a significant cost and can be an issue in a 2nd hand bike. One specific issue he didn't mention is that batteries can suffer from lack of use, e.g. if they have either been stored a long time on very low charge or on very high charge. This can often be an issue with a very low mileage bike.
Thank you very much for your information it is really appreciated, thank you

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
4 years old brings up anotehr major point

In 2016 the ebike regulation changed to match the EU regs
Prior to that the max motor power was 200W but full throttles were allowed
On 1st Jan 2016 this changed to max power 250W and full throttles were banned - the extra power makes a huge difference - I used to have a pre 2016 Powacycle and swapping to a modern ebike was big surprise!

It the bike of 4 years old it could potentially have been made before the change and hence be the old regs

naturally it will also be quite old technology compared to modern ebikes possibly motor either on or off rather than several different power levels

But then is should be cheap - but either allow for recelling/replacing the battery or find out (no idea how) what the range is on full charge - if it is over 40 miles it is fine - lower than 20 it is on its last legs

good luck

westcoastsurfer

Aug 3, 2020
If it’s only 4 years old I assume it will be the 36v Panasonic system rather than the earlier 25v system. Do you know the battery spec? I found the original 25v system very smooth (I don’t recall any surging) but was a bit weak on hills. I concur with vfr400, if you and your riding area fit the criteria, it could be a decent buy.
Hi, thanks for the reply
It is the 36v panasonic, so is this OK, or is not as good as the 25v system that you mentioned?

westcoastsurfer

Aug 3, 2020

On 1st Jan 2016 this changed to max power 250W and full throttles were banned - the extra power makes a huge difference - I used to have a pre 2016 Powacycle and swapping to a modern ebike was big surprise!

It the bike of 4 years old it could potentially have been made before the change and hence be the old regs

naturally it will also be quite old technology compared to modern ebikes possibly motor either on or off rather than several different power levels

But then is should be cheap - but either allow for recelling/replacing the battery or find out (no idea how) what the range is on full charge - if it is over 40 miles it is fine - lower than 20 it is on its last legs

good luck

good luck
Hi, thanks for the reply
Its the 36v panasonic with 7 gears and 3 assist modes, no throttle, its a panasonic crank drive - I'm not 100% sure whether the guy said it does 10 - 25 miles per charge and working perfectly. So is this worth a gamble do you think at 300? Iam viewing the bike and test riding at the weekend and really appreciate everyone's advice.

westcoastsurfer

Aug 3, 2020
The 36v one is a lot better than the 24v one. It has a lot more power and torque. At £300, it's probably a good buy as long as it's in good general condition.
Thank you - The bike looks in pretty good condition In a couple of the photos that I saw, battery, Charger, keys and a bit of paperwork too - I see how the test ride goes now. Thanks again

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Digging around on the web it seems likely the battery will be 8ah (288wh). Although the Panasonic motor is one of the most economical with battery use, the range will probably be limited to distances under 30 miles. How you use the 3 levels of assist will have a big impact on the achievable range. The Panasonic batteries tend to last pretty well.

westcoastsurfer

Aug 3, 2020
Digging around on the web it seems likely the battery will be 8ah (288wh). Although the Panasonic motor is one of the most economical with battery use, the range will probably be limited to distances under 30 miles. How you use the 3 levels of assist will have a big impact on the achievable range. The Panasonic batteries tend to last pretty well.
Thank you very much for the information, I've been trying to find information about these peugeot City Electric Bikes, specs but can't even find an old manufacturer photo from 2016 - thanks again

westcoastsurfer

Aug 3, 2020
Hi, Iam looking for advice on whether to buy a second hand ebike that I have been offererd
Its a 4 year old Black Peugeot City Electric Bike with a panasonic drive crank but I can't find any information on the bike or pictures anywhere on the Internet, I wanted to try review before I decide to buy. Can anyone help with any info or advice or to stay clear. The guy says he bought it from France 4 years ago
Any info will be appreciated
**Update on the bike, I did buy it! Its in really good condition and rides really good, took everyone's advice on what to out look for so thanks to everyone. After looking underneath the bike for labels etc when I got home I found a label that says mai 2011 peugeot e-bike City Spt - will this mean the manufacturers date when it was made?
Thanks

westcoastsurfer

Aug 3, 2020
Hi, thank you for all your advice it really helped, I bought the bike! Really good condition and excellent working order, very nippy too - when I got home I noticed a label underneath the bike under the motor that says peugeot e-bike City sport, mai 2011, would this be a manufacturer date when it was made do you think because the guy bought it from France 4 years ago?
It as bits of paperwork with it ie user manual and guarantee leaflet but no receipts with dates etc
Thanks again

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi, thank you for all your advice it really helped, I bought the bike! Really good condition and excellent working order, very nippy too - when I got home I noticed a label underneath the bike under the motor that says peugeot e-bike City sport, mai 2011, would this be a manufacturer date when it was made do you think because the guy bought it from France 4 years ago?
It as bits of paperwork with it ie user manual and guarantee leaflet but no receipts with dates etc
Thanks again
Yes, but I'm pretty sure that that would make it a 24v one. I can't remember when Panasonic started with 36v, but I never saw one before Bosch bikes started to appear in 2011. I think the first one I saw and tried was in 2013.