PHET lithium batteries

Skysurfer

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2011
I've just obtained a pack off a wheelchair, and am going to use it on my Currrie powered machine (better than SLA's!)
On opening the pack, I found 64 cells! Wow!
They're wired 8s8p, for 24v, and with no current charger, I'm on the lookout. 'course, I now have to find out what the chemistry is. I know they're Lithium based, but what? I've mailed the makers, (PHET), but I'm posting here in case anybody has run into these cells themselves. An exhaustive search hasn't been fruitful
I'm looking to attach balancing leads to the pack, so I need to know.
Makers ID: PHET 15003. Other ID is: 5803, and N5-3, wrapped in red translucent plastic sheath
Hoping someone's met these before,
Cheers in anticipation..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
With 8 in series to give a nominal 24 volts, the chemistry is almost certainly LiFePO4 (lithium iron phosphate), and the true nominal voltage will be 26.4 volts, though it will be higher when fully charged.

If it had been a li-ion battery with any of the other main chemistries, i.e. using cobalt, manganese or compound cathodes, the nominal voltage with 8 cells would have been 29.6 volts, with the full charge voltage much higher, far too high to be called a nominal 24 volt system.

Last edited: