Ping batteries

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Anyone useing a ping lifepo4? How are they performing? any problems? (pm me if you like)
I have been thinking about getting one for sometime now hence the questions.
Thanks

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Hi !

36V 10Ah Li Ping battery here. About 60 miles covered, a few recharge cycles above 70-80% level (I haven't drained the battery yet). Charging works great with the default fan-cooled charger. The BMS seems to do its job fine.

I am about to plug a Cycle Analyst, so I'll be able to track things in a more scientific manner soon :)

You may be interested in this:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/4734-diy-stage-2-received-li-ping-lifepo4-battery-photos.html#post59988

and this:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/4769-diy-stage-5-prepping-fitting-electricals-photos.html#post60345

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Footie isn't in currently, but he's been running his Ping battery for well over a year now in Cornwall with plenty of tough hill climbing involved on a fairly powerful hub motor. He accidentally shorted it after riding on riding on a rough trail and was worried about damage but it withstood that without any problems, his report here.

I don't think he's the only one to have exceeded a year of use on these, and I haven't seen any report of problems with them.

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Mel,

I've had a 36 V 20 Ah one for over a year. It hasn't had very heavy use and its holding up ok. I measured it in the early days as actually giving 18 Ah to cut off.

Nick

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
I have had my Ping 48v 12a batt for 14 months with no problems in a nice secure padded waterproof plastic box then in a waterproof backpack 4000 miles down still going strong with no noticeable sign of deterioration:D .
In the process of purchasing another Ping 24v 15a to run in series for my 72v Ebike.

monster

Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
i use ping batteries and they are still strong after a years use. the only ping failures i herd of were user error like dropping them or exceeding the discharge specifications. they are damn good batteries and the charger and BMS are good too.

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Yessireee

Had my Ping batt for 18 months, done 5,000 miles with it, not one single problem, range is a little down, but less than 5%

would like another for the other bike.

my.motion

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2009
Picture please

Hi All,

Is it possible to see the ping housing/mountings photos for all those who had ping batteries please? I have seen daniels and the ones on sphere web site but would like to see more to help the newbies with the mounting.

Thanks

Michael of Gwynedd

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2008
Caernarfon, Gwynedd
Have had my ping 36 volt 16 AH battery since June this year, have only done approx 700 mile and it’s still going strong, a long way to catch Beeps or Nick or some of the other forum members.

I use it on my Ezee Forza, and the maximum distance covered on one charge was 48 mile, and it still managed to propel me up the steep Hill to my home. I try and keep the current below 10 amps. My meter only goes up to 20 amps, but if I keep this up for longer than 30 secs, the 15 amp fuse I fitted on the ping usually blows.

My average speed is 12.5 mph, and as Flecc suggested, I keep a battery log and record the date, time, distance covered and the average speed. I usually give the battery a charge every 20 to 25 mile, my usual commute is to the local shop, a round trip of 12 mile, but if it’s a nice day then I will have a longer run.

I’m very pleased with the battery and have it mounted in a heavy duty weatherproof plastic box; this in turn fits snugly into the top pannier on the rear rack.

My ping looks like Daniel’s, a nice shade of blue with the BMS sellotaped to the side, the LED’s give a little dance when the charger is switched off.
I bought the 16 AH ping as I live in Gwynedd North Wales, lots of hills!!!
All the best with your decision making.

Michael

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Thanks for your feedback Michael. I have not installed a fuse on the battery yet, but I will as soon as I setup my recently-acquired Cycle Analyst power meter. I'm going to try 15A too, I guess it'll be fine. Cheers, Dan

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Hi All,

Is it possible to see the ping housing/mountings photos for all those who had ping batteries please? I have seen daniels and the ones on sphere web site but would like to see more to help the newbies with the mounting.

Thanks
i'm using the original case which did contain three SLA batts, looks like this:

except mine is matt black to match the frame.

currently contains a 36v 10ah Ping batt & BMS wrapped in fleece & foam packing for thermal insulation & impact protection, there is in fact enough room inside the case to fit a 36v 20ah (double the size) LifePo4 batt, if the cells are re-arranged & slanted inside the case.

the battery has been recharged 370 times & seems as strong as ever thru the throttle, some loss in range, but nothing like the SLA loss, which at 18 months were delivering just 31% of the original range when new.

my pedalled cruising speed is 19mph and i can count on 30+ miles per charge

let us know how you get on,

beeps

Last edited:

Michael of Gwynedd

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2008
Caernarfon, Gwynedd
That’s a nice and neat case Beeps, and Dan, it’s important to have a fuse, there’s a lot of power in batteries, even when flat, a short can cause a serious fire and even serious burns, so fit a fuse.

Michael.