cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Interesting. There are still lots of drivers who pass too close, but I think that things have improved a bit with the recent awareness campaigns.

• Agree
Reactions: TedG

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Day or night?
I'm doing most of my riding at night now its darker earlier & I suddenly realised that I had not had a close pass.
Is this because of fewer cars around at night or just more difficult for drivers to judge distances so they err on the side of caution?

Reactions: flecc

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Day or night?
I'm doing most of my riding at night now its darker earlier & I suddenly realised that I had not had a close pass.
Is this because of fewer cars around at night or just more difficult for drivers to judge distances so they err on the side of caution?
I bet you have lights and reflective clothing. Go without if you miss the excitement.;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Trevor there are definitely less vehicles on the road after 6/7pm, I drive part time for some beer /hobby money. The roads are certainly quieter later on but that may change once the nights draw out again in the new year.
So far esp during the day I have noticed a lot of traffic is a bit more patient, I ride a defensive line of about 1m from the kerb/gutter and in the whole most wait and pass when able to, at junctions I make it clear my intentions of travel and again take prime middle of lane stance to prevent being closed in.

Btw there are still areshole's out there driving.

• Agree
Reactions: trevor brooker

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As fuel prises rise I think more people are thinking abut their car use esp when £40 only buys about 6 gallons now and it will only go up plus the younger generation are more with it and are trying to lead the new revolution in the way we live and travel.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As fuel prises rise I think more people are thinking abut their car use esp when £40 only buys about 6 gallons now and it will only go up plus the younger generation are more with it and are trying to lead the new revolution in the way we live and travel.
I'd like to think this is true, but experience makes me more cynical. The same has been said about fuel prices cutting car travel many times in the past, yet it seems people would rather cut anything else before the use of their beloved car.

The somewhat depressing news from COP26 is probably nearer the reality, more words rather than action, no-one wanting to give up anything.

We seem to organise things so badly. For example we all know rail travel is far greener than flying, but here's an example I've just heard of how we fail to live up to that. Someone living in Bristol needs to go to Berlin but finds the rail fare is £188 each way, and that's from London so more fares to add to get there from Bristol.

Or they can fly direct from Bristol to Berlin for £44, and having checked that I find it can be as little as £36. So obviously once again it will be a case of stuff the environment and COP.

I think the only way the great majority will change is when they are forced to by laws and removal of options.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I just had some idiot pull out in front of me 5 minutes ago. I gave him the standardized Glaswegian I'll drag you out your f&^%$£ car and beat you to death look.

Last edited:

Gliggsy

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
I'm in Italy atm and have been for the past month, one of our air bnb hosts had leccy bikes that we were allowed the use of but after seeing how Italian drivers totally disrespect and disregard cyclists we thought better of it and gave them a miss, the Italian drivers are extremely impatient and will squeeze wherever they see an opportunity