Please suggest a compatible Controller for my bike

CrazyBikes

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 19, 2015
I need to replace my controller, please suggest a compatible one and best place to buy it. tried to find on amazon but no luck.

current controller is attached

Attachments

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
What's the bike?

It looks like a generic 36v BLDC motor controller. The only issue is getting it to work with your existing connectors.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Oh dear, was yours stolen too?

I ask as someone else here has and a hundred is too dear really given it's designed poorly to avoid theft. Or was it an electrical fault out of warranty?

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Oh dear, was yours stolen too?

I ask as someone else here has and a hundred is too dear really given it's designed poorly to avoid theft. Or was it an electrical fault out of warranty?
That was the display, wasn't it?

its volt metro. Isn't there any readymade controller like this with these type of connector?
Unless you want to do some diagnostics and/or soldering then you need to speak to Volt.

CrazyBikes

Jun 19, 2015
Mine is not stolen :)
I just want to achieve a bit more speed on this little thing, hoping to get a 20A controller. I spoke to volt, they weren't much helpful on that. Rather they warned me of the warranty!!! lol

I don't mind wiring, I have a soldering iron at home, plus i was looking at some videos on youtube of modification of controller.

I was thinking, if i buy a similar size controller and replace the entire PCB and put in the existing box, how that sounds? Also do you guys think this motor would handle 20A controller?

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Mine is not stolen :)
I just want to achieve a bit more speed on this little thing, hoping to get a 20A controller. I spoke to volt, they weren't much helpful on that. Rather they warned me of the warranty!!! lol

I don't mind wiring, I have a soldering iron at home, plus i was looking at some videos on youtube of modification of controller.

I was thinking, if i buy a similar size controller and replace the entire PCB and put in the existing box, how that sounds? Also do you guys think this motor would handle 20A controller?
I had the same desire to increase speed on my metro. But experts on this forum suggested that 20a would be too much to handle for a 250w motor. You can read it here http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/Volt-metro-or-A2B-kuo+-?.21035/

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
20a might be a bit much, but 18a probably be ok.

Get yourself watt meter(ebay) and a KU65 from from www.bmsbattery.com solder the shunt a bit at a time and monitor each time.

You aren't going to get a load more speed though. Perhaps 18 -19 mph.

CrazyBikes

Jun 19, 2015
20a might be a bit much, but 18a probably be ok.

Get yourself watt meter(ebay) and a KU65 from from www.bmsbattery.com solder the shunt a bit at a time and monitor each time.

You aren't going to get a load more speed though. Perhaps 18 -19 mph.
Sorry for my ignorance. What am i trying to achieve with KU65? website says its a 14/15A controller!!! thats same as what i have anyway...

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Sorry for my ignorance. What am i trying to achieve with KU65? website says its a 14/15A controller!!! thats same as what i have anyway...
'soldering the shunt' enables you to increase the current that the controller delivers to the motor. You may be able to achieve this with your existing controller, but I had in my head that you needed a new one.

Reactions: One_Box

CrazyBikes

Jun 19, 2015
'soldering the shunt' enables you to increase the current that the controller delivers to the motor. You may be able to achieve this with your existing controller, but I had in my head that you needed a new one.
Existing one is not broken, I just wanted/expecting to replace with a off market 17/18A controller. is there such things available?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Existing one is not broken, I just wanted/expecting to replace with a off market 17/18A controller. is there such things available?
Not as far as I'm aware.

Slip your current circuit board out of the housing, take a few good quality pictures and post them here. It may be an easy mod to add a few amps to the one you have.

CrazyBikes

Jun 19, 2015
Not as far as I'm aware.

Slip your current circuit board out of the housing, take a few good quality pictures and post them here. It may be an easy mod to add a few amps to the one you have.
ok, thanks, will post tomorrow. btw do you know which watt meter to buy? many varieties on ebay...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you want speed then more volts is what you are after, 48v in lion form its possible you may get up to about 23mph with 250w. A higher amp controller will give you more torgue/pulling power and climbing ability but will reduce battery range.
I have 3 250/350w drives and controllers 15, 18 and 20a. All cruise nicely on the flat up to 19mph and can get me to 22-23mph with some harder peddling, a really fit cyclist will be able to go beyond that but if they are that fit a normal very light bike is best. Higher gearing ranges will also add speed but again you need to be quite fit and have the stamina to maintain speed above the pas cut off.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Page 3, post #51
I don't get your interpretation to that post. Trex only confirmed that you would be able to get past 20 mph. You mentioned "experts" too. Is Trex "experts"?

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
I don't get your interpretation to that post. Trex only confirmed that you would be able to get past 20 mph. You mentioned "experts" too. Is Trex "experts"?
Perhaps you would know better than I do, just because you have been around here long enough :)