Police ebike checks.

Would you let police ride your ebike to check for irregularities and illegalities?

• Yes. I have nothing to hide and I believe that my bike is perfectly legal.

• No. It could be a scam to steal my expensive ebike.

• I don't know what I'd do.

Results are only viewable after voting.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Give up, you're full of it.
I simply told you of what happened and how I evaded what may have turned into an improper stop check. I'd do the same again. I don't particularly have an issue with what anyone thinks about that. Although, if you have any other ideas, given the same scenario, I'd be happy to hear about them.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
"E-bike conformity is not a criminal matter and a warrant cannot be obtained for this civil matter."

There could be relevant criminal offences - driving on a public highway whilst uninsured is definitely a criminal matter for example - but it's not an indictable (Crown Court) offence, so the police wouldn't be able to get a warrant for that.
https://www.inbrief.co.uk/police/police-entry-and-search-powers/

On the road then police have power to stop a cyclist on request (it's an offence to fail to stop) and a separate power to seize uninsured motor vehicles (which an illegal ebike would be of course). If they have reasonable suspicion that an item (here a bike) is relevant to their investigation of any offence (i.e. whether it is being ridden without insurance when it requires it) they may seize it for the purposes of their investigation.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
On the road then police have power to stop a cyclist on request (it's an offence to fail to stop) and a separate power to seize uninsured motor vehicles (which an illegal ebike would be of course).
Thanks for an informative post @Andy McNish.

They stopped their car and the blue light and siren priorities sounded briefly as I rode my bike over a road bridge above them. Neither exited the vehicle as I stopped overhead. So I then slowly disappeared into the adjacent residential area.
When I 'd moved from the bike path to the footbridge and stopped overhead, I wondered why they'd turned their priorities off and didn't alight from the vehicle? Perhaps, they were unsure of the legal intricacies that could unfold. All police officers have experienced K9 units at some point. Perhaps my dog deterred them. Perhaps my ebike is perfectly legal. Who knows what they were thinking? There being no instructions to the contrary, I calmly left the area.

He's a troll who's trolling in the hope that it will attract people to vote in his stupid poll.
I couldn't say if the police on that day were the real deal. Things never got that far. And as for the poll. Statistically it's been a resounding success. That was followed by a somewhat informative discussion. :)

Maleyale

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 15, 2020
If in doubt tell them you'll ride to the nearest police station, then let them look at it there. If it happened at home ask for their warrant card ring up the police to check if they have the said officer. But as your bikes on private property they wouldn't have a power to look at the bike.

The above is good advice for anyone but especially lone females if they feel the officers aren't the real police.
Always check an officers details, no officer would refuse that request under those circumstances. This is not an option if you just want to wind an officer up though!!!

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They see me on my ebike at the railway station and sometimes, they must think WTF as I trundle by with a trailer in tow with my component bee hive stuff on the back and other kit.
Later on in summer I can be towing about 100lbs of sealed honey for extraction and I daren't go to fast as you can really feel the weight behind you.
Tbh on a bike they won't do little at all unless you are obviously flouting the speeding or being really stupid.

• Agree
Reactions: Tarka and LeighPing