Police say electric bikes illegal in Northern Ireland

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How very petty.
I don't think so. The point Shemozzle made was about throttles now being allowed, but that complaint which is widespread in Britain doesn't exist in the rest of the EU.

Don't you find it strange that 27 countries are happy without throttles on pedelecs, but British e-bikers regard that as a major problem?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I don't think so. The point Shemozzle made was about throttles now being allowed, but that complaint which is widespread in Britain doesn't exist in the rest of the EU.

Don't you find it strange that 27 countries are happy without throttles on pedelecs, but British e-bikers regard that as a major problem?
Not as strange as pedelecs being outlawed in the "united" UK... Disabled people in the EU do have throttles, because when they are so disabled as to need a throttle they ride mopeds not bicycles.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You didn't read my post. My point was that disabled people in the EU don't ride bicycles so you aren't qualifying anything at all.

In the EU disabled people have free public transport cards, free parking and reserved parking spaces in many countries if they have a car and those who do ride on two wheels ride mopeds. It is a common sight on French roads for example to see people on mopeds with crutches attached or between their legs if riding a scooter. Some may even ride electric mopeds because there are quite a few around now. If you can't pedal because of a handicap then buying a bicycle, electric assisted or not, probably isn't the brightest of ideas...

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
You didn't read my post. My point was that disabled people in the EU don't ride bicycles so you aren't qualifying anything at all.

If you can't pedal because of a handicap then buying a bicycle, electric assisted or not, probably isn't the brightest of ideas...
Agreed - because it doesn't have a throttle.

Last edited:

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
In addition to a reply and reassurances from a leading political party I have now received a reply from the Green Party in Northern Ireland and I am assured that they have written to the Chief Constable, the Secretary of State and the DVLA on the issue of e-bike legality here so I am grateful for that as every action will help.
I will apparently be informed about responses as and when they are received.

As for the "disability" angle on this I personally cannot walk properly after an industrial accident.
I have several other health issues resulting from this accident including heart problems and a pacemaker. I tried to ride the new push bike which my GP recommended but I was unable so I invested £2500 in a decent e-bike which is superb.
It obviously doesn't enable me to walk again but it does allow me to be out and pedalling with the power assistance, and breathlessness is no longer an issue so as we all know there are many levels and variations of disability and I am happy to leave my blue badge behind on the days when I am on two wheels again.

Sadly not at the present time of course but hopefully I will be reinstated in the saddle very soon as I miss the freedom my bicycle gave me.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

In the EU disabled people have free public transport cards, free parking and reserved parking spaces in many countries if they have a car and those who do ride on two wheels ride mopeds. It is a common sight on French roads for example to see people on mopeds with crutches attached or between their legs if riding a scooter. Some may even ride electric mopeds because there are quite a few around now. If you can't pedal because of a handicap then buying a bicycle, electric assisted or not, probably isn't the brightest of ideas...
I must say with some chagrin, that other countries , including the UK seem to be better in this regard than Ireland.
I notice that even shopping centres in NI have mobility scooters available and it appears a well structured mobility scheme for car purchase also.
In France, they have a very nice sign at the disabled car spots outside supermarkets with the text, .. if you want this place would you want my disability.. and happy to report, they seem to be honoured.

Reactions: TedG and LeighPing

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
In addition to a reply and reassurances from a leading political party I have now received a reply from the Green Party in Northern Ireland and I am assured that they have written to the Chief Constable, the Secretary of State and the DVLA on the issue of e-bike legality here so I am grateful for that as every action will help.
I will apparently be informed about responses as and when they are received.

As for the "disability" angle on this I personally cannot walk properly after an industrial accident.
I have several other health issues resulting from this accident including heart problems and a pacemaker. I tried to ride the new push bike which my GP recommended but I was unable so I invested £2500 in a decent e-bike which is superb.
It obviously doesn't enable me to walk again but it does allow me to be out and pedalling with the power assistance, and breathlessness is no longer an issue so as we all know there are many levels and variations of disability and I am happy to leave my blue badge behind on the days when I am on two wheels again.

Sadly not at the present time of course but hopefully I will be reinstated in the saddle very soon as I miss the freedom my bicycle gave me.

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
The Green Party's excellent young election candidate in West Belfast posted photos of her electric cargo bike and told of how much she enjoyed using it. I hope this situation can get sorted out soon and that she can get back on the road again.

Leonboy1987

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 8, 2016
Belfast
Morning all, well I rang the DVLA yesterday to try and register my Ebike. What a waste of time, the words said to me by the DVLA which I recorded were we are not registering Ebikes in Northern Ireland at this time. So the police say register them and the DVLA won't lol can't win!

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011

Not really, what you haven't had, you don't miss.
I guess most EU e-pedallers probably think that throttles cannot be fitted.
In any case, they do not have a choice unless they buy a Chinese bike.
I saw one of those BBO2 conversions in Poperinghe in April and that had a throttle. Probably home converted.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Yes, Nolan tried that with no success either, see his Twitter page.

Wouldn`t advise anyone to try and register, better to wait it out.

Danger there is if the powers that be see a rush to register and the resulting new income from it then it could become just another cash generator for the Gov.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and TedG

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Yes, Nolan tried that with no success either, see his Twitter page.

Wouldn`t advise anyone to try and register, better to wait it out.

Danger there is if the powers that be see a rush to register and the resulting new income from it then it could become just another cash generator for the Gov.
If this does become the case here then it could be said that it would apply in the rest of the UK as well. England, Scotland and Wales e-bike riders would be subject to the same ludicrous tax, insurance and licencing regulations as us via registrations with the DVLA.

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not really, what you haven't had, you don't miss.
Surely more to the point is that in those countries buying and using vastly greater numbers of pedelecs, they find them satisfactory as they are. Buying at up to 30 times the rate we buy at, they are clearly not finding pedelecs inadequate.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and TedG

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Surely more to the point is that in those countries buying and using vastly greater numbers of pedelecs, they find them satisfactory as they are. Buying at up to 30 times the rate we buy at, they are clearly not finding pedelecs inadequate.
Have you never made a minor modification to a vehicle or a computer, or a battery, or whatever, to make it run better, smoother, quicker and more efficient, because the original build wasn't satisfactory Flecc?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Have you never made a minor modification to a vehicle or a computer, or a battery, or whatever, to make it run better, smoother, quicker and more efficient, because the original build wasn't satisfactory Flecc?
Yes I have, even drastic changes to e-bikes that I owned, but I hesitate to say it was because the original build wasn't satisfactory. In the cases where I did it, it was to suit my requirements which differed from the makers intentions for it. That doesn't alter the fact that there's pedelecs to suit all normal needs on the market.

I think the argument for the partially disabled to have throttles by changing pedelec law is a red herring. Firstly a high proportion of those advancing the argument are not disabled and are using disability as a trojan horse.

Secondly the argument that pedelec law should permit throttles as a disabled rights issue is false. The argument should be that the disabled should have a right to a throttle, a tweak in the law for the disabled only akin to motability, which for the disabled only permits car controls that don't meet construction and use regulations.

D

Deleted member 4366

Just a reminder that full-range throttles are not outlawed by any regulations. The only rule is that power has to stop when you stop pedalling. So as long as you don't stop pedalling, you can use a throttle how you want.

If you jam your freewheel, you'll always be pedalling when the bike is in motion, so you can use the throttle when and how you want. Alternatively, you can use the motor to turn the crank, which will allow the rear wheel to freewheel, but whenever the motor runs, your feet will go round with the pedals. I made a bike like that, and the Stoke Monkey kit works like that too.

Here's the bike I built that pedals itself:

• Informative

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
The only rule is that power has to stop when you stop pedalling. So as long as you don't stop pedalling, you can use a throttle how you want.
When we lived in England I had a Powabyke which had pedals and throttle.
It could be ridden all day on throttle power to a maximum of 15mph. There was no need to pedal.
It could be pedalled if required as a normal bicycle but it was not necessary.
If it was illegal I was never told nor was I ever stopped and questioned in the three years I had it.
As I had the same disability there which I currently have I used it to get around but obviously not able to leave it and walk which was fine. I was out and about but without the GP's recommendations for exercise which was not so good.
Now back in N. Ireland I bought a new e-bike which is a pedelec and with my wife also due to her age rather than disabilities find them excellent until the government stepped in and ruined everything for who knows how long.

Last edited:
  • Informative