Police say electric bikes illegal in Northern Ireland

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Thanks for all the comments so far, but Jackhandy's is really the only one which addresses my concerns. There is unlikely to be any legal problem with using an illegal vehicle until an incident occurs which invites the attention of the local police and my own (public liability) and the other party's insurance companies. If an electric bike does not comply with the local law the rider will be prosecuted for using a motor vehicle without licence, helmet, etc, etc, and will have his driving licence endorsed etc.

As for complying with the law in other EU countries, is it not the case that UK motorists driving in France have to comply with French law regarding carrying high visibility gear for use in the event of an incident? I suspect there are many other examples of the same thing, eg having to wear a "safety" helmet in Spain.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
OMG.....honestly, you men......"out to get you " indeed .......lets see a bit more cojones here :p

If a dog runs out and someone gets hurt would they really inspect your bike....highly unlikely....more likely to prosecute the dog owner surely...

and ghoul......you are making me laugh.....thats good :D .....I promise I have put the jam pan away.......for now..... hahahahahahaha......thats my evil laugh by the way.....wish they had a witch 'smiley' :cool:

Lynda :)

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
As for complying with the law in other EU countries, is it not the case that UK motorists driving in France have to comply with French law regarding carrying high visibility gear for use in the event of an incident? I suspect there are many other examples of the same thing, eg having to wear a "safety" helmet in Spain.
Yes, you are right, that is the case for sure......that list is endless, including spare glasses if you use them, a breathalyser kit in france, TWO breakdown triangles, spare bulbs/ fuses and on and on...

but what I was referring to isnt to do with that, seriously, when I remember, I will post it, I still think you are worrying way too much though ;)

Lynda :)

What Im thinking about is something along the lines of , say,a modification to your vehicle, like for instance if say car tinted windows are legal in your country of residence but not in the country you are visiting, then that is allowed.
So this I imagine would cover a holiday visit on a bike with a throttle if that throttle is legal in your country of residence.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Dear Gawd, this ONCE PROUD COUNTRY, that ruled half the world, has become populated with old women (no offence to the real old women reading this).

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
"Dear Gawd, this ONCE PROUD COUNTRY, that ruled half the world, has become populated with old women.."

Seems like some motormouth, perhaps with the initials JC, has joined the forum!!

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Yes Sam this issue has been covered in a couple of threads in here.

Did you contact your local MLA or MP??
I did (to several) and had a reply from one SENIOR politician who assured me that the anomaly will be addressed as soon as Stormont resumes in whatever capacity.
Quote - In the light of your concerns and those raised by others I have written to the secretary of state for Northern Ireland requesting that this legislation be given priority in the event of the restoration of direct rule so that Northern Ireland is brought into line with the rest of the UK. - End quote.
At the moment we have to trust that he will now be aware of the strength of feeling.
Breath holding time? - perhaps not but at least we have done something positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
I did (to several) and had a reply from one SENIOR politician who assured me that the anomaly will be addressed as soon as Stormont resumes in whatever capacity.
Quote - In the light of your concerns and those raised by others I have written to the secretary of state for Northern Ireland requesting that this legislation be given priority in the event of the restoration of direct rule so that Northern Ireland is brought into line with the rest of the UK. - End quote.
At the moment we have to trust that he will now be aware of the strength of feeling.
Breath holding time? - perhaps not but at least we have done something positive.
Ted, that part you quoted there was exactly word for word what i got back from him yesterday lol!
Unfortunately i don`t think its a big enough issue to hold the government to ransom over, but i`m sure he will do his best!

• Agree

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Ted, that part you quoted there was exactly word for word what i got back from him yesterday lol!
Unfortunately i don`t think its a big enough issue to hold the government to ransom over, but i`m sure he will do his best!
Yes and it was 100% more than I got back from another MP who appeared to previously assure us that he was on our side in this debacle. No reply or acknowledgment at all. :mad:

• Agree
Reactions: tommie

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Another sunny day Tommie as you will see.
Such a waste now for those of us who can't walk properly.

I wish I was allowed to print what I was told on Friday by a leading E-bike supplier in England.
It would send Nolan into apoplexy.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Why can't you print it?
I have given my word and I must adhere to it.
Trust me that if and when this debacle is resolved I will print what I was told in confidence.
I am not into fantasy, what I was told is true but at present I am not going to furnish Nolan with more potential programme material because at this point it will not help our cause and that is all I am interested in.
Jeopardising our cause is not what I am prepared to do.
Trust me it will be worth the wait.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Don`t know whether Nolan is a help or a hindrance.

He should have been onto politicians both locally and those at Westminster plus contact some rep. from the NI. Office, asking how this could have happened, who was responsible and when are they going to sort this mess out.

Also who was responsible here in N.I. for classing Pedelecs as `motorbikes`in the first place? Didn`t someone think to look over their shoulder and see what England, Scotland, Wales, the ROI and all of the EU were doing?

Reactions: flecc and TedG

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

He should have been onto politicians both locally and those at Westminster plus contact some rep. from the NI. Office, asking how this could have happened, who was responsible and when are they going to sort this mess out.

Also who was responsible here in N.I. for classing Pedelecs as `motorbikes`in the first place? Didn`t someone think to look over their shoulder and see what England, Scotland, Wales, the ROI and all of the EU were doing?
.. Tommie, this would be classified as a sign of omission not a sin of commission. When the executive should have been dealing with standard local government matters such as these, it was convulsed with say the Robinson affair, then the amount of flag waving on public buildings, then parades, minority languages, then ash for cash etc etc.
I wouldn't absolve either faction SF or DUP, they were both more interested in scoring points than governing for the benefit of their constituents.
There is only a finite amount of legislative time, and put bluntly they wasted it.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009

You need to press the NI Office for a change similar to the EAPC law so that post Brexit it can by further modified to remove the EU references thus enabling disadvantaged persons the same rights as able bodied persons to use an ebike rather than allowing the discriminatory ruling which the remaining 27 EU Countries will be shackled with.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Funny thing is that the disabled in those 27 countries, which are a rather large pressure group which has obtained quite a lot of improvements (especially in building code and access to public buildings) aren't constantly moaning about pedelec legislation being discriminatory. Believe me if they thought it was they would be doing so. Must be like food poisoning on package holidays, an English thing that doesn't affect the rest of the EU citizens. Meanwhile in parts of the UK pedelecs are considered illegal, what a forward looking group of countries you are!

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Funny thing is that the disabled in those 27 countries, which are a rather large pressure group which has obtained quite a lot of improvements (especially in building code and access to public buildings) aren't constantly moaning about pedelec legislation being discriminatory. Believe me if they thought it was they would be doing so. Must be like food poisoning on package holidays, an English thing that doesn't affect the rest of the EU citizens. Meanwhile in parts of the UK pedelecs are considered illegal, what a forward looking group of countries you are!
How very petty.

Last edited: