Poor clearance derailleur

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Carrera Crosscity Electric Bike

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-crosscity-electric-bike

Happened to pop into Halfords this evening and saw the above ebike. Hardly going to set the world alight. But the thing that got me was the incredibly small distance between the very bottom of the derailleur and the ground. On the stand, it must have just about been in contact with the bits that the tyre rolls into.

(What I saw looked worse than in the picture. Perhaps frame size has some impact? No idea what size the one I saw. At the time I assumed there was only one size.)

Maybe in the real world, it works adequately, don't think I'll be trying one to find out. But it offends everything in me. It looks wrong. It surely must foul some bike stands? And isn't it going to get more muddy water, stones and anything else thrown up onto it?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I much prefer the Nexus 3-speed hub gears for 20" folding bike but it adds $30 to manufacturing cost - a lot for this segment of the market where cost is king.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0111.JPG
eat wet grass that will ;) tho it is better that the 11spd one it replaced

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
My folder is very similar.
The only problem I have ever had was riding in long grass, so the motto is, off road, throttle only.
Tough if you have a newer EU standard no throttle bike, fine if not.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Carrera Crosscity Electric Bike

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-crosscity-electric-bike

Happened to pop into Halfords this evening and saw the above eHardly going to set the world alight. But the thing that got me was the incredibly small distance between the very bottom of the derailleur and the ground. On the stand, it must have just about been in contact with the bits that the tyre rolls into.

(What I saw looked worse than in the picture. Perhaps frame size has some impact? No idea what size the one I saw. At the time I assumed there was only one size.)

Maybe in the real world, it works adequately, don't think I'll be trying one to find out. But it offends everything in me. It looks wrong. It surely must foul some bike stands? And isn't it going to get more muddy water, stones and anything else thrown up onto it?
I have a similar shimano on my Dahon folder which had a 6 speed screw on gear. Since I wanted a better spread I ordered a new wheel fitted with a 7 speed cassette so a faster 11 tooth at one end and a 32 at the other. I had previously tried to get the neat little gears that some Dahons came with but they were very hard to get and very expensive. So I settled for a Shimano RD-FT30. But when I wanted to fit it to my new 7 speed set up!
Shimano RD-FT30 Tourney Rear Derailleur
Compatible with 6 and 7-speed
  • Max Sprocket 28T
  • Min Sprocket 14T
  • Weight: 355 Grams
They are quite cheap gears and if you don't mind the narrower range with an electric folder then fine. Having said that I just noticed the Halfords one is 8 speed!! I must say my low hanging cheapo Shimano has never caught on anything. The real killer of 20" (front) wheels is if you hit a hidden rut, in leaves or in a puddle, the short handle bar, small wheels and general geometry mean the bike goes over so fast there is no time to correct it.I know to my painful cost!

The Strong Goat

Pedelecer
May 10, 2018
China
Though I'm not a knowledge fountain of ebikes, this design evokes me of the classic folding design from Brompton which doesn't have this derailleur-position problem. Just like you, it offends me somewhat with this doubting derailleur design. I have to say, there is nothing wrong to borrow some nice frame design from somewhere else. But to me, I would accept some inexpensive ebikes make some compromises on somewhere like a less powerful motor even shorter capacity battery and etc. But a doubting design like this(which may cause some damage to the bike by throwing the derailleur into something during riding on the certain terrains) can not find an excuse from me. Maybe I'm being harsh here, but I think the design of this ebike has been done in a heartless way. Or on the contrary, it's a smart design beyond my perception and comprehension.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Though I'm not a knowledge fountain of ebikes, this design evokes me of the classic folding design from Brompton which doesn't have this derailleur-position problem.
the Brompton has a hub gear, no derailleur.

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
the Brompton has a hub gear, no derailleur.

My Brompton has both. It’s a six speed using a three speed Sturmey Archer hub and a two cog derailleur. I have also opted for a reduced main chainring to give easier hill climbing.
The derailleur mech also acts as a chain tensioner when folding and unfolding the bike so..... all Bromptons have a mech look alike but only some have an actual derailleur option.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and Woosh

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My Brompton has both. It’s a six speed using a three speed Sturmey Archer hub and a two cog derailleur. I have also opted for a reduced main chainring to give easier hill climbing.
The derailleur mech also acts as a chain tensioner when folding and unfolding the bike so..... all Bromptons have a mech look alike but only some have an actual derailleur option.
What brand is that derailleur? What size cogs does it take?

On the getting the derailleur in the long grass issue tried that yesterday... The chain came off just where it was most inconvenient (traffic wise) and I couldn't pedal back onto the road, being in bottom gear the wheel just kept spinning out :eek: I put the wheel on the hard and had some difficulty freeing myself from the long grass caught in the derailleur.