Poorly Bafang CST 180mm: trouble disassembling (some screws not budging)

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
1) Would anyone have any tips on how to get these screws out please? So far thoughts include that of buying a moderately large new screwdriver, asking LBS if he can have a go.

2) My motor/controller-tester box said the motor had at least two faults. Would anyone know what might be steps (or of say an online post showing steps) post-disassembly for more precise diagnosing and fixing?

Thanks and hope your respective Mondays/bank holiday Mondays going well.

Jonathan

P.S. this is the history of the problem

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You need exactly the right screwdriver bit. If they're really stuck, an impact-driver will probably shift then. Mine have always come out using the right bit and a 1/4 drive ratchet handle.

Reactions: jonathan75

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
If you have a soldering iron heat it up and having made sure there's no solder on the tip hold it on one of the screw heads. First it will expand the metal which will then cool and contract, that movement can sort of 'crack ' a tight screw loose. It's worked for me in the past and worth a go.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I use a press or a clamp to hold this screwdriver in place.
vfr400 has already made this point, you have to use the right tip, otherwise you will damage the bolt head. I use vanadium chrome posidriv tips for motor repairs.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonathan75