possible some day to program panasonic?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the motor panasonic to have it for my needs?
No individual has managed it so far, and I think there's not much point since there are the inter-relationships with mechanical functions in the standard unit which would limit the alterations that could be achieved.

If you wanted higher speeds there's the S versions from BikeTech and Kalkhoff which allow up to 45 kph without some of the restrictions of the standard unit.

If what you want is full control, then another unit entirely might be better for you, since there are other crank motors available.

qeeeme

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2007
kalkhoff similar to flyer?

thank you for the answer
i am still on the side of "no pedelec". it means i am able to do my 25km way with race bike + i pay train-bus when not. so what will be my first pedelec and how much will it cost me? if i take one with panasonic unit:
- flyer costs more than kalkhoff (?) i understand about 3500 euros flyer and now kalkhoff offers 2800 euros (s version, but 9 gears, flyer has the 24 gears dual drive sram). same panasonic unit? exactly same?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
thank you for the answer
i am still on the side of "no pedelec". it means i am able to do my 25km way with race bike + i pay train-bus when not. so what will be my first pedelec and how much will it cost me? if i take one with panasonic unit:
- flyer costs more than kalkhoff (?) i understand about 3500 euros flyer and now kalkhoff offers 2800 euros (s version, but 9 gears, flyer has the 24 gears dual drive sram). same panasonic unit? exactly same?
It's the same Panasonic S unit on both those, but that is not the same as the standard Panasonic unit of course. BikeTech also make the same Flyer available with the Shimano Alfine 8 gear hub or the 14 gear Rohloff hub. BikeTech prices have always been very high, in common with most items manufactured in Switzerland.

Apart from the different software etc for higher speed, these S units have a long armed chain idler on the motor unit to ensure compatibility with the derailleur rear mechanism.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm trying to think of exceptions but admit to being stumped. And in terms of £ sterling, Swiss products are even more expensive since the UK currency headed southwards
Traditionally Switzerland has been an odd one out in manufacturing, always putting quality before price, most of the rest of the world generally regarding price as either far more important or paramount. Only Germany has really come close.

It's a reflection of Swiss standards in society, only the best being acceptable in such things as public services, but of course such high standards do cost.

Beanie101

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2008
Verbier, Switzerland
Traditionally Switzerland has been an odd one out in manufacturing, always putting quality before price, most of the rest of the world generally regarding price as either far more important or paramount. Only Germany has really come close.

It's a reflection of Swiss standards in society, only the best being acceptable in such things as public services, but of course such high standards do cost.
Not fighting wars and, ahem, sometimes profiting from those that do has helped the Swiss develop an infrastructure (especially railways) of which other countries can only dream........

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not fighting wars and, ahem, sometimes profiting from those that do has helped the Swiss develop an infrastructure (especially railways) of which other countries can only dream........
Well, I wouldn't blame them for cashing in other's foolishness. If we are stupid enough to get involved in wars, we must expect to pay the price.

qeeeme

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2007
No individual has managed it so far, and I think there's not much point since there are the inter-relationships with mechanical functions in the standard unit which would limit the alterations that could be achieved.

If you wanted higher speeds there's the S versions from BikeTech and Kalkhoff which allow up to 45 kph without some of the restrictions of the standard unit.

If what you want is full control, then another unit entirely might be better for you, since there are other crank motors available.
first of all Flecc thank you for your "wisdom" about "if we are so stupid to get involved in wars, we pay the price"
back to technology:
1.ok noone has been able to go into the protected panasonic unit sofar but what do you mean by: not much point due to the interrelations with mechanic? you mean of course if i could prograsmm it differently i have to handle the mechanical part of panasonic unit? (or mechanical pert of the bike?)
2.full control through other cranks motors available? which one is actually in use? what are the pros and cons?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
first of all Flecc thank you for your "wisdom" about "if we are so stupid to get involved in wars, we pay the price"
back to technology:
1.ok noone has been able to go into the protected panasonic unit sofar but what do you mean by: not much point due to the interrelations with mechanic? you mean of course if i could prograsmm it differently i have to handle the mechanical part of panasonic unit? (or mechanical pert of the bike?)
2.full control through other cranks motors available? which one is actually in use? what are the pros and cons?
My "wars" reference to someone else in this thread was about Britain's current activities, but I can understand if you might have been offended by reading it as a German citizen. If so, please accept my apologies, no offence being intended towards you. My sentiment stands though, and it is wisdom to me if not to you.

One interaction I meant was that the speed measurement of the output shaft is by a sensor reading a fixed magnet ring in one gearwheel, so that could impede the extent of any change effect. Another is the pedelec sensor which is electromagnetic with a designed cadence relationship, this also possibly limiting the extent of change that software alteration could bring.

The other crank drive motors are a mixed lot. Cyclone make a range of many powers that are throttle controlled, so if performance is wanted that is an easy route, but the quality isn't very high and they only fit some bikes.

There's the Sunstar crank drive motor sold from France, not very high powered and works rather like the Panasonic motor unit but has switchable power levels.

Yamaha have now brought out a similar unit to the Panasonic one and the only bike to date that's fitting it is the Hungarian Gepida, made by Olimpia Bicycle, but I know nothing of it's capabilities.

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
My "wars" reference to someone else in this thread was about Britain's current activities, .
Peace in our time, just roll over and give up.

I gather you are a follower of Chamberlain and David Miliband.

How's life in Britistan these days?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Peace in our time, just roll over and give up.

I gather you are a follower of Chamberlain and David Miliband.

How's life in Britistan these days?
I don't think either of those gentlemen are Swiss. Our Swiss friends of the subject didn't follow either of that odd couple, and as we discussed, gained much rather than giving anything up.

Which would you rather depend on, British railways or Swiss railways?

Some of us see further into the future than what is in front of our eyes.

Last edited: