Posties to loose their bikes

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've noticed the change to diesel vans in SE England and London but the milko with the traditional electric van is still thriving here. I was surprised to still see them but they remain popular.. There's a lot of people who have an "early to bed, early to rise" lifestyle round here and a cold wind from the North Sea even in high summer so I expect the milk doesn't get much time to go off..

Ironically many of those people are getting up early to commute to London!
My problem with the milk going off was when it got delivered after I had gone to work, not because I had a lay in. :eek: :)

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
thats probably traffic delays, congestion and a lack of customer service ethos amongst the staff destroying the businesses viability. Not unlike what affects Royal Mail (and to be fair, the courier/logistics industry as a whole!)

it seems that irrespective of political views/issues whether its public or private sector, in this country we seem to need to constantly bang peoples heads on the table to make them deliver the goods on time and to customer requirements..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've noticed the change to diesel vans in SE England and London
Not just London and the South East, all over the country the e-floats have dramatically reduced in number as those few who want milk delivery are ever more widely spaced, making the e-floats impossible to use over the length of a viable round.

I did see an article on the scale of the scrapping of the electric floats a couple of years back, can't remember the details but it was well over half of the one time population of them.

Mind you, when I was young I used to give the milkman's horse a carrot or sugar lump, so electric milk floats weren't always around! :D