Powabyke Commuter Forks

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
in my review i say i would have liked front suspension the only other ebike i have ridden is my sakura cruiser with suspension and i liked it.the reason i have never criticized the lack of suspension is because i find the rest of the bike great,didn't think suspension forks would be an option, but i do find it a rough ride in certain circumstances.

lets hope the forks are not to much of a budget item so they can make a good bike even better

mike

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

I wonder how much better will be the performance of the powabyke with the new lithium battery top speed will be the same:D but i would expect it to be a bit quicker of the mark also would it be a bit better on steep hills as it will be less weight good news all round really:)

BBB

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2007
Unfortunatly cheap forks and heavy bikes do not go together so powabyke did the right thing by not having them on their bikes in the first place as i have seen to many electric bikes with bendy suspension forks, i have not seen the powabyke forks but ive a feeling they will not be up to the job.
As a powabyke dealer i would rather they invested in a new throttle that has been promised for years and is the bane of my life with customers.
The product is robust does what it says on the can , but no investment has been but back into the product apart from an alloy frame. The competition is catching fast so i think they really need to move up a gear or the bubble could burst.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unfortunatly cheap forks and heavy bikes do not go together
Couldn't agree more BBB, but unfortunately cheap forks are what most electrics get. I suppose it's difficult for manufacturers to resist using suspension forks when the customer demand exists and there's so many complaints about the hard ride that front motors and rigid forks give.

Of course, Powabyke aren't alone with lousy throttles either, there's quite a few manufacturers could take your advice with advantage.

Last edited:

gkilner

Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2007
West Yorkshire
Commuter Suspension Forks

I would certainly like to try a commuter with front suspension. I have noticed at high speed that the bars can be almost be ripped out of your hands. The first few times I was suprised nothing broke on the bike!

There is a hill on the way back from work, and freewheeling the bike will reach 32mph! I think front suspension would give me much more confidence at that speed.

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
FYI, suspension forks are now available for most Powabyke models!

Regards

Frank
Powabyke

drew -d

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 11, 2007
glasgow,scotland
powabyke

i do not notice any discomfort on my powabyke and i travel on some very bad roads maybe if i did not have lead acid battery it might be different
might find out soon as i am at the point i need a new battery in the next couple of months
drew-d

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
i live in blackburn of beatles fame,4000 holes etc...there are that many holes now they even build them into new roads to match the others...no i am not joking ! I must admit i did nearly loose my grip on a particularly large whole on my powabyke euro,but i was going fast 30mph+ so you would probably get the same effect on any bike whether suspension or not...If i find a smooth road in the area you will be the first to know
ps.i regularly check powabykes website for anything new.Surely the best place for any ebike owner is the manufacturers website ..

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Except when the new model of the one you've just bought is announced. :mad:

I think that happens with every piece of new technology on the market nowadays..the day after you buy, a better cheaper version is announced.Im afraid it is part of the modern way of life.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think that happens with every piece of new technology on the market nowadays..the day after you buy, a better cheaper version is announced.Im afraid it is part of the modern way of life.
Not always a bad thing in many areas though, often an opportunity to get the equally good previous model at a sell-off bargain price. Sadly our e-bike world seems to be lacking in that particular aspect of modern trading, doing it in reverse, holding the old model's price and greatly increasing the new one's. :eek:

Andy Day

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2008
Powabyke suspension forks geometry

Hi, I've just got some suspension forks on my ally Powabyke commuter as I couldn't tolerate the pummeling my hands got from the rigid forks. I tend to suffer from arthritis and found my knuckles on both hands swelling.

I suppose these suspension forks are bought in items, the geometry of the forks doesn't seem to match the frame. The bike was very stable on a smooth surface with the rigid forks, I felt reasonably safe at 42mph down a steep local hill. These new forks kick the front of the bike up by a fair bit, feels like a couple of inches at the bars. Normally that would increase the trail and rake of the forks putting the front wheel spindle further ahead of the axis of the steering head. That conventionally would increase stability and reduce turning ability but it doesn't feel like it! The bike does feel more remote and twitchy, I wonder if some other angles of the forks are different, perhaps a compensation with less trail?

I shall try lowering the bars to put more weight on the front and see if things feel better, but that rather nullifies the idea of saving me knuckles!

Rake is the angle of a line drawn through the steering head to the ground.
Trail is the distance in front of this line of the front wheel spindle.
Less rake and less Trail = less stability but quicker turning.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Some these effects on e-bikes with suspension forks are worsened due to the front wheel motor, a substantial unsprung weight, particularly so on the Powabyke motor.

That said, I've usually found cycle suspension forks to be less stable than rigid ones, I think through not made to the standards of motorcycle ones for weight reasons.