Powabyke euro 6 speed

Richy6976

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 4, 2019
Good afternoon all, my first post so please be gentle, and apologies in advance if anythings wrong.
I recently purchased my first ebike after much deliberation it's an old 2nd hand one and I loved it up until I came off it in the ice 2 weeks ago since then I've had nothing but problems with it culminating in this morning's journey to work I was cycling downhill braking to slow down and the motor decided to kick in and shot me straight past my turn off I managed to stop and turn around but the power had gone.
I later discovered when I got home it had blown the 20amp glass fuse in the battery, I replaced the fuse with an identical one from a child's electric scooter now when I turned the ignition on it went flying off on its own at full speed I managed to keep hold of it and stop it, but now I still have power on the battery lights but there is no drive from the front wheel.
I've done the diagnostic test by turning it on with full throttle and the 5th light stays lit up but I cannot find out what this means the powabyke website doesn't seem to have any manuals to download anymore.
Any help would be very much appreciated, but please bear with me as I am not great at technological stuff, thank you in advance.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most likely scenario as you have come off it, is that the throttle is the issue or should I say a damaged /intermittent throttle wire fault. Disconnect the throttle and ride without it for while to see if the bike then behaves properly.
If all pans out a new throttle or fault find the throttle wiring to find the break.

Reactions: Richy6976

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Nealh knows his stuff

Are you able to confirm if there are three or two wires going into the motor (underneath the outer plastic)

I think those bikes were the last of the brushed motors or, depending on age, the first of the brushless

A lot depends on the answer to this question

Reactions: Richy6976

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A couple of years ago my 8fun hub bike on the odd occasion would take off without warning when switched on, esp if pushing it along. I fault finded the wiring with a continuation check and found the problem within 5 -10 mins.

Richy6976

Feb 4, 2019
And 2 wires coming from the throttle that go into the power box that houses the 6 lights and whatever other magic it contains
I've just double checked now my torch is charged and looking at the front of the bike there is 2 wires on the left side of the box 1 comes from the throttle the other goes along the frame towards the back of the bike, and there's 1 wire going into the magic box on the right hand side

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You need to continuity test the throttle wire with a meter.

Richy6976

Feb 4, 2019
You need to continuity test the throttle wire with a meter.
My neighbour has just had a play with the bike and it now has power again but it's still full power as soon as you turn the key on it turns out when it crashed to a stop it wrapped a wire around the wheel nut and pulled 1 of the connecting spades apart

Richy6976

Feb 4, 2019
In further news we now have the bike working again we've bypassed the throttle and put a switch on the handlebars to supply power again but now the front wheel decided to fall out of the forks when I rode it, when I fully tighten it as I would a regular set of bike forks the front wheel is so stiff it won't turn Im assured the front wheel was tightened before I was given it back last night he told me when he dropped it off and it's only just fallen out on me about an hour ago I feel this bike may be a lemon and it's heading to the scrapyard

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Loads of things to get your teeth into. Powabyke throttles work electronically in reverse to a normal one, so if someone replaced the original one for whatever reason, it'll work in reverse and give full throttle when shut and no power when fully open.

Brushless motor controllers give full power when they blow. They work by throttling the power, but when blown, they just let full power through as soon as you switch the battery on regardless of what you do with the throttle or anything else.

A short circuit on the motor wires will make the motor stiff to turn. The short can be on the wires where you twisted them or inside the motor due to burning. It can also be a short in the controller sometimes when it's blown. You can eliminate that by seeing if the motor is still stiff to turn with it's disconnected from the control box.

If you bypass the controller and use a switch on the battery to regulate the power on a brushed motor, the unregulated power will burn the motor.

Richy6976

Feb 4, 2019
Well I don't know what to try next we put it back together a few times last night and it just kept throwing the front wheel out of the forks