Powabyke euro

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Hi folks long time not here :)

Thinking of dusting my dry stored powabyke off and starting to use it,i would need a set of 3 12volt 15 ah battery's and need a good uk supplier,any ideas please.
The bike is standard but at a guess 8 or 9 years old has there been any law changes in that time to effect its legality

Thanks

Mike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No changes in the law that affect you Mike, but I'm not up to date on the best suppliers for suitable SLA batteries, so hopefully someone else will be able to help in that respect. The main thing is to be certain to buy the deep cycle type capable of high discharges, avoiding the similar looking low discharge very long life ones used in burglar alarms and the like. Meanwhile an online search for 12 volt SLA batteries shows many suppliers and you may find the right ones among those for similar high discharge purposes like mobility chairs and golf carts.

Other than the high discharge capability, just aim for the right case dimensions and connector type.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Thanks flecc,there would appear to be plenty of suppliers out there but was hoping some one could recommend a trustworthy one.
I understand ime talking outdated technology but the bike is in mint condition and ime now retired and looking at a 8 mile round trip for pleasure so thought i may as well get it going again.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They are still very capable e-bikes Mike, and can still outclass some current bikes for hill climb ability. And lets face it, the battery prices are very attractive compared to lithium, which in the UK range from about £350 to over £1000 for the same voltage and equal usable capacity.

Regarding the OP, does anyone know of a good reliable current supplier of these 12 volt 15 Ah SLA batteries which you'd recommend to Mike?

Reactions: electric.mike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Banbury Frank always used to recommend one make but I can't find it. Perhaps someone else can remember? He certainly knew about high discharge rates! Anyone know why he was banned from this forum?
That supplier was Ritar in ebay, but unfortunately they don't appear to be supplying SLA batteries any more.

I'm not sure if Frank was subsequently banned, he did leave voluntarily due to workload at one point.

hoppy

May 25, 2010
That supplier was Ritar in ebay, but unfortunately they don't appear to be supplying SLA batteries any more.

I'm not sure if Frank was subsequently banned, he did leave voluntarily due to workload at one point.
Looking up his member details he is described as 'banned'.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's sad then. I'd guess it was because of his regular postings about his high powered bikes in the general forum, rather than the off-road etc forum.

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Thanks flecc,there would appear to be plenty of suppliers out there but was hoping some one could recommend a trustworthy one.
I understand ime talking outdated technology but the bike is in mint condition and ime now retired and looking at a 8 mile round trip for pleasure so thought i may as well get it going again.
I have bought batteries for work and personal use, from www.componentshop.co.uk over the years. Very helpful and decent quality.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Mike,be careful to buy deep cycle type,we sell starting batteries quite cheaply through our 'rally design' business,part no. RMD25 and some rogue dealers try to sell these as deep cycle,used that way they will only recharge 50 times.
KudosDave

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Thanks guys i have emailed a couple of reputable shops who hint :) they still do these just waiting for a reply,on the ebay front i have found a couple that sound likley its just that unknown factor

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181442873495?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This is for four but i guess they do three

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-LEOCH-12V-15AH-HEAVIER-DUTY-Electric-Bike-Batteries-Powabyke-Sakura-etc-/161018606443?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item257d74f36b

Its just the way some of them word it as if to hide the fact they are not 15ah

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can see what you mean, much vagueness in that second one and the provision of four while recommending them from Powabyke etc is suspicious.

A couple of years ago a number of suppliers still sold a genuinely suitable set of three for under £100, but with most of the bikes using them discontinued, they've stopped selling them.

So they are bound to get dearer as fewer sources handle them with smaller sales. The same happened with NiMh which became dearer than some lithium.

So you may have to end up paying over £100 now.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's sad then. I'd guess it was because of his regular postings about his high powered bikes in the general forum, rather than the off-road etc forum.
Maybe it was because he didn't pay the bill for his commercial use of the forum.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Certainly could be, I've no idea of the reason and could only guess.

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
If I remember correctly the sla batteries that Frank used to recommend were the Ritar EV series. I couldn't find them on ebay either but they are still listed on Amazon.

If you order three the P&P is £10.31, £79.31 total, so well under the £100.

I've got a set of these myself, many years old and not used much now but they still seem ok.

I'm only assuming these are the correct ones for a Powabyke, I haven't got one to check the size & terminals.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for finding that jhruk. Ritar's previous ads on ebay for the 15 Ah ones that Frank recommended had disappeared.

So it's a choice for Mike, the original spec 15 Ah ones for a bit over £100 or the 12 Ah ones for under.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Thanks again guys,think it will be 15ah my thinking being 8 mile round trip i would get out of 12ah but it wouldn't work the 15ah as hard.

hoppy

May 25, 2010
Thanks again guys,think it will be 15ah my thinking being 8 mile round trip i would get out of 12ah but it wouldn't work the 15ah as hard.
The quoted capacity varies according to how it is
measured.Some12ah ones are the same as some15ah.You need to read the small print!

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
The quoted capacity varies according to how it is
measured.Some12ah ones are the same as some15ah.You need to read the small print!
That is something i noticed and couldn't make sense of,this is a copy and past from an advert,i have no idea what it means

12v 15ah (20hr) E.U Standard

12v 13ah (10hr) Asia Standard

Both lines refer to the battery's for sale in the add :(