Powabyke Lithium

Griswold

Pedelecer
May 17, 2007
Hello,
Does anyone know if you can get Li batteries for Powabykes?
ie Commuter? if so do you know where and how much they are?
Maybe I wont sell my Commuter if I can get a lighter battery! - not that Ive had much interest!

Regards

Griswold

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They are doing a Li-ion battery now, and one of the bikes with it is reportedly only 28 kilos. I don't know if it can be fitted to all existing models, but I suspect it can.

I don't think we have member with one of these yet, so best check with Powabyke if no definite answer in here. Here's the contact page you can mail them from.

Griswold

Pedelecer
May 17, 2007
Had a reply from Powabyke

Hi,

Yes there are now 2 models of Lithium available:-

a) Same range (20 miles) as current Lead Acid @ £350.00 weighs approx. 4kgs
b) "Lite" Version of avbove with 10 mile range @ £250.00 weighs approx.
2.5kgs

Ranges stated are without pedalling.

Not bad at all!!

Griswold

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Indeed Griswold, those weights are excellent for the stated ranges.

They seem to be about average or possibly slightly high price, guessing at their probable capacities, though can't be certain.

Griswold

Pedelecer
May 17, 2007
Yes reasonable price I suppose.
Im in 2 minds about whether to sell the Powabyke and buy a Torq.
The Powabyke is OK - looks better without the mudguards etc not so fuddy! (in my opinion)
Its a reliable well built bike - I may keep it - considering Id get a lot less back than what I paid for it.
Shame it cant be derestricted for use off the road!
I dont see many Powabyke owners on the forum, they seem popular in the states - there is even a Dr Powabyke blog!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, they're geared for our legal speed so no more available, but they are great hill climbers. The Torq will be fine if you don't have steep hills, but if any are steep, the Torq will give you a bit of a shock after the Powabyke, since it will make you work a lot harder to get up them.

The eZee F series bikes give the best of both worlds, power almost identical to the Powabyke and even better hill climbing, together with the ability to derestrict and get up to 22 mph.

US and Canadian bikers often seem to like heavy bikes and 40 kilo models are common. That could be due to the bulk of many the other side of the Atlantic, heavy bikes more suited to them.

Last edited: