powabyke x-byke battery

alsmith

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2008
Northumberland
Look at this link:
evans
Does this mean the new X-Bykes actually have the originally promised water bottle shaped battery- it says 2009 model.
And will PowaByke sort out us poor owners that got stuck with that thing stuck on the early bikes that was absolutely nothing like originally shown? They always seem to get good press- so let's see................

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just looks like the original publicity shots to me, still in distribution and use.

chandlerweb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 20, 2009
I was recently sent a brochure from Powabyke and it shows the rocket launcher battery , same as on their web site, so I think its just an old stock photo. I think Powabyke probably dont try too hard to get retailers to update their photos as its probably in their benefit.

alsmith

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2008
Northumberland
That's what I thought had happened, probably with a touch of publicity people deliberately choosing them because they look so much better. And powabykes own pictures next to the specs are so small it's difficult to see if the bike has a saddle, never mind the battery.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Despite being the guilty party that coined the term 'rocket launcher' I have to say I have no problem with the look of the battery. It's barely noticeable when you're riding the bike. I am still tempted to put radiation stickers on it though :D

alsmith

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2008
Northumberland
Despite being the guilty party that coined the term 'rocket launcher' I have to say I have no problem with the look of the battery. It's barely noticeable when you're riding the bike. I am still tempted to put radiation stickers on it though :D
#

I still don't see the rocket launcher thing. It's not what I picture a rocket launcher being.

I see other sites showing the bottle picture rather than the 'ugly thing'. Maybe an email to Trading Standards asking if this amounts to misrepresentation of the products would get representative pictures posted- but I'm a bit suprised at Powabyke allowing this misrepresentation to happen- we know they read the threads. Surely this is something that Powabyke should be stopping? Or perhaps it could affect sales so they don't want to? Who cares if a few customers are unhappy (so long as they get sales) and anyway it is the dealers fault? The pictures show the correct battery but are so small it is hard to make out (on purpose?). On another page it says 'The battery is cleverly designed to slot into the water bottle holder – disguised in fact as a water bottle' (Latest News, it says Posted earlier this year).

This could affect the good impression people have of them- the change was months ago and still pre-release publicity pictures are being used. How many disappointed prospects or customers are being created?

The dedicated x-byke site at :: X-Byke - Discover the Power to be Free | KickStart Online, Belfast :: www .xbyke. co.uk shows the incorrect battery pictures although that is a Belfast company -but you'd think with that site name they'd show what you get. I'm beginning to think misrepresentation is not a strong enough term.

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The dedicated x-byke site at :: X-Byke - Discover the Power to be Free | KickStart Online, Belfast :: www .xbyke. co.uk shows the incorrect battery pictures although that is a Belfast company -but you'd think with that site name they'd show what you get. I'm beginning to think misrepresentation is not a strong enough term.
They don't show a battery at all, there's no wires coming out of the water bottle. So if they aren't saying the battery looks like a water bottle then the picture on it's own is not so misleading, it just makes people think they can have a water bottle there when it's not possible.
And it may not quite be as big as a rocket launcher, more of a chaff launcher maybe.

Attachments

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
It doesn't cost much to register a domain, there's nothing on that site or any other kickstart site to sugest that they have any connection with Powabyke other than being a dealer. It may be a dedicated x-bike site, but it doesn't look like it's an official Powabyke site.

Here's another Kickstart site that even goes as far as using the "Powabyke" name:
Powabyke Electric Bikes :: from KickStart Motorcycles

This is begining to look more like a trademark issue than a trading standards one.

Patrick

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Hi All,

The battery has changed due to spec and dimensions changing at the last minute after the images had been taken. New images are live on Powabyke, Electrically powered bikes : Electric Bikes & Electric Scooters which show the new battery. Unfortunately as many of you have stated many of our dealers still have the old images on their websites.

Kickstart Motor cycles are a dealer of ours and have no connection with Powabyke at all apart from selling our bikes. They have simply used their initiative and registered the domain name "xbyke".

regards

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd

chandlerweb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 20, 2009
Frank, given the change of battery was due to last minute reasons, are there any longer term plans to introduce a new range of batteries for the X-Byke which will a) look more aesthetically pleasing (though I do not find the current design too bad) and/or b) have a greater capacity? As a soon-to-be Powabyke owner, I would appreciate knowing there are some long term plans for the X-byke so I know it wont be superceded too soon and therefore hard to get replacements parts etc for it.

alsmith

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2008
Northumberland
Hi All,

The battery has changed due to spec and dimensions changing at the last minute after the images had been taken. New images are live on Powabyke, Electrically powered bikes : Electric Bikes & Electric Scooters which show the new battery. Unfortunately as many of you have stated many of our dealers still have the old images on their websites.

Kickstart Motor cycles are a dealer of ours and have no connection with Powabyke at all apart from selling our bikes. They have simply used their initiative and registered the domain name "xbyke".

regards

FrankC

Powabyke Ltd
Frank,

Thanks. Does that mean you haven't or won't tell the dealers they are using inaccurate pictures that could lead to problems with customers? Or more more interestingly that you have told them but they have still used them?

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Frank,

Thanks. Does that mean you haven't or won't tell the dealers they are using inaccurate pictures that could lead to problems with customers? Or more more interestingly that you have told them but they have still used them?
Hi Al,

Over 200 hundred shops have now had XBykes so know what the battery looks likes. Every other shop we deal with has been sent the brochure with the correct battery image on. Unfortunately not all dealers have access to their own websites so have to wait until the next updates, others simply haven't had time to update. Indeed there are still many websites that are displaying our MK1 shopper image which was discontinued back on 2001. We try and ask dealers to update as and when we find inaccuracies however it is ultimately up to the dealer as and when they do it.

Apologies for anyone that has been misled.

Regards

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
HI

I dont think it matters unless you are happy with your bike.

thx

Bob

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Originally Posted by fcurran
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerweb
Hi Frank<
I posted a question on the end of page 1 of this thread prior to Als question about updating suppliers which you may have missed which i wondered if you could answer?

"Frank, given the change of battery was due to last minute reasons, are there any longer term plans to introduce a new range of batteries for the X-Byke which will a) look more aesthetically pleasing (though I do not find the current design too bad) and/or b) have a greater capacity? As a soon-to-be Powabyke owner, I would appreciate knowing there are some long term plans for the X-byke so I know it wont be superceded too soon and therefore hard to get replacements parts etc for it."

Cheers
Paul

Hi Paul, sorry I did miss it! There are no plans at present for a longer range battery, we find the current range is adequate for the "average" person's commute. If people do want to go further, then a 2nd battery can be purchased or the charger can be transported to effectively double the range. There are long term plans to change the battery design so it looks less "rocket like" but these are realistically not going to be in production within the next 2 years. Any new battery style will be interchangeable with any current bike sold within the XByke range so your bike won't become obsolete!

Regards

Frank

Hi Frank,
Thanks for the response. Would you mind adding it to the thread as I think its useful info. I didnt want to cut and paste it without your permission.
Cheers
Paul