Powabyke X24

tony6403

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2009
I am very pleased with my X24 , with one exception.
That is the embarrassment caused by the really excessive noise of the motor.
Is anyone able to recommend a compatible replacement motor ( presumably supplied as an integral part of a new front wheel ) which is as near silent as possible.
I would not want to lose the dragless freewheeling of the existing motor if this can be achieved.
The battery is 36v LI.
Any suggestions please?

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
I am very pleased with my X24 , with one exception.
That is the embarrassment caused by the really excessive noise of the motor.
Is anyone able to recommend a compatible replacement motor ( presumably supplied as an integral part of a new front wheel ) which is as near silent as possible.
I would not want to lose the dragless freewheeling of the existing motor if this can be achieved.
The battery is 36v LI.
Any suggestions please?
Not sure that many people will have too many motors side by side to compare but the brushless ones I've heard seem a bit quieter than my X6 (same motor), but aren't as good at hill climbing. The quieter ones I heard were direct drive brushless, not better for my use. (and they would need a new controller too).
To compare spl I think you'd need to measure the noise yourself- I can't say I've ever seen specs for any hub motors.
Road and traffic noise, and noise from potholes, patches, and the chipping type resurfaces are worse than the motor noise- if you plan your route over these the perceived problem should diminish ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not sure that many people will have too many motors side by side to compare but the brushless ones I've heard seem a bit quieter than my X6 (same motor), but aren't as good at hill climbing. The quieter ones I heard were direct drive brushless, not better for my use.
Brushless motor are at least as good at climbing as the equivalent internally geared brushed ones if of the same actual maximum power rating, and actually more flexible with the optimum climb speeds. Your impresssion is due to the fact that the Powabyke motor has one of the highest peak powers around, 700 Watts on the traditional models, most of our brushless motors being around 400 to 550 watts. However, it is very noisy, in part due to it's fully freewheeling design.