Powacycle launches Infineum

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Mike. Apart from the stackable battery, nothing special in either what it has or the value. There are others which will do the same thing but with vastly bigger batteries included, the Wisper 905se with a 14 Ah battery for example.

They claim "off road specific" but that's got limitations with poor traction on loose surfaces uphill with a front wheel-hub motor which also has no protection from shocks. The forks look like long travel types so that should help though.

An interesting addition, and it takes Powacycle firmly upmarket for the first time.

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Patented arrangement for stacking batteries and combining them in parallel.

You read it here first, folks.

Nick

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
Infinium details

Here is a load of publicity material on the Infinium.

"Infineum Extreme is the first electric bike from the new Infineum brand of high-end electric bikes. Based on an innovative British design the Infineum Extreme takes a major step forward in power assisted cycling with the longest ever continuous cycling distances, a result of the unique Infineum stackable LPX battery system.

The Infineum range brings a radical new concept in power-assisted-cycling by introducing for the first time a unique patented stackable battery system that multiplies the travel distance as extra batteries are added to stack on the dedicated rear rack. For long journeys between recharges the Infineum Extreme can accommodate extra batteries on the same rack, so greatly extended distance journeys become feasible, without stopping to change the batteries or recharge.

The Infineum Extreme is built for quality, incorporating quality components throughout, including Shimano Alivio gears and brake sets, Rock Shox shock absorbers and a Cane Creek headset. A back lit bicycle computer shows battery level and speed mph. The Extreme is based on a lightweight aluminium frame and weighs just 20kg including the battery.

A quiet efficient lightweight motor has an outstanding 80% efficiency for maximum power utilisation. This compares favourably with normal motors that are generally less than 70% efficient. The motor gearbox has a smooth epicyclic friction drive system that is extremely quiet, and delivers a highly efficient power transmission. The motor weighs just 2kg.

The Infineum is designed to be easy to maintain. All the electronics have been designed in a modular format to make servicing of the bike, both easy and quick to complete. Just unplug the motor for easy tyre replacement, if and when required.

The Infineum stackable batteries are lightweight at around 1.82kg and they can deliver 25-33 miles of Power Assisted Cycling. The batteries simply clip into place and are locked securely, preventing unauthorised removal. Stacked together the batteries will discharge in parallel.
As the batteries are discretely housed in the rear rack they are not obviously visible, and the Extreme has the appearance of a normal bike. This contrasts with the typical electric bike elongated frame, where batteries are housed behind the seat post. The rack is designed to support up to 15kg.

The Infineum batteries are based on Lithium Polymer technology giving high power to battery weight ratio, (five times better than Lead Acid batteries), ideal characteristics for an electric cycle. There is no memory effect, so even with partial recharges the battery maintains its performance. The batteries are safe and stable unlike Lithium Ion batteries that can become hazardous, if subjected to impact damage.

The Infineum Extreme incorporates Triple mode operation, providing a choice of modes:
A twist grip throttle provides power without any pedalling, “Pedal assist” gives effortless cruising while pedalling, or normal cycling without any power. The throttle will operate while using pedal assist or cycling to boost power for tackling hills or rapid take-off as required.

Infinium Extreme bikes will be available from over 100 bicycle dealers nationwide from September 2008.
Future additions to the Infineum range will include high-end lightweight folding frames and quality step-thru frame electric bikes.'

If I can work out how to do it I will upload a picture of it.

Rod

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
Infinium technical spec

Here is the Infinium technical stuff.

Infineum Extreme
Specification

Triple - Mode of Operation
Motor power only - 15mph max speed
Assisted power - Motor and Pedals - 15mph max speed
Cycling only - Without Motor Assist - any speed you like
Description of motor: Lightweight with greater than 80% motor efficiency

High Spec
Triple Mode Power:
- Independent twist grip throttle
- Pedelec power assistance
- Can be ridden as a bicycle

Intelligent brushless motor in front hub
Bicycle computer – back lit display showing:
- Speed mph
- Battery level

Brakes and Gears
Shimano Alivio:
- Trigger gear shifters
- Brake levers
- 24 gear mechanism
- V-brakes front and rear
- Cranks (170mm)
- Chain

Front Shock Absorbers – Rock Shox
Headset – Cane Creek
Modular electrics for easy serviceability

Battery Performance
Lithium Polymer battery – 36V 6.5Ah = 234 Watt hours
25-33 miles per battery with gentle pedalling on a flat surface
Full battery recharge in 5 hours
Rechargeable battery 1000 cycles
Battery locks into place

Physical Features
Diamond shaped aluminium frame
26 inch wheels
Handlebar height - 102cm to 104cm
Saddle height – 90cm to 104cm
Length of cycle - 171cm
Weight without battery 18.24kg
Battery weight 1.82kg
Weight including battery 20.1kg

Extras included
Battery charger
Rear rack supporting up to 15kg

Well you did say you wanted details didn't you!

Rod

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
With that bike and those tyres, "25 to 33 miles range with moderate pedalling" from 6.5 Ah is a bit ambitious.

I notice 5 hours charge time for that quite small battery, so using the bike with a pair stacked to give more range infers a 10 hour charge time. :eek:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I've just had a look at the Infineum website and I am pretty sure it is using a Tongxin motor. This would make the range claims from a relatively small battery more plausible.

Interesting to see how it shapes up!

nikon201

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2008
Kent
We'll only see how it shapes up when someone buys it. Is anyone going to be brave enough to buy an ebike with only a 6.5 Ah battery?

Jimblob

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2007
I've just had a look at the Infineum website and I am pretty sure it is using a Tongxin motor. This would make the range claims from a relatively small battery more plausible.

Interesting to see how it shapes up!
I've been to the launch and it is indeed a 36v version of the Tongxin motor. It is friction drive, a very nice design indeed. We're taking preorders now at £995 (a nice incentive!) and we should have a demo/sample which we will rotate around the shops as required. Jamie - TETS.Biz

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
quite tempted by this.

I had a cheapy Synergie extreme bike two years ago as my intro to e-bikes and after a year sold it as I felt I had now gained enough fitness to go back to a manual which I've been using ever since (I only cycle 7 miles a day).

However, I'm now looking to get a e-bike to use during the winter and windy days - and I'm getting a bit older :)

So this is the first one I've seen that is sub £1,000 and has a very eye pleasing design. I also like the idea of the stackable battery for the extra range. Hmmm. tempting :)

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
I've been to the launch and it is indeed a 36v version of the Tongxin motor. It is friction drive, a very nice design indeed. We're taking preorders now at £995 (a nice incentive!) and we should have a demo/sample which we will rotate around the shops as required. Jamie - TETS.Biz
is this available on your website yet ? When do you expect to have them in stock and if I preorder now do you take the money now on when it's actually in stock.

cheers

Mat

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Looking at the photo again, I realised that for shorter riders who have the saddle low, the battery won't be
stackable, it will be one only.

Something to think about for the vertically challenged.

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
quite tempted by this.

So this is the first one I've seen that is sub £1,000 and has a very eye pleasing design. I also like the idea of the stackable battery for the extra range. Hmmm. tempting :)
Hi Mattyduk,

If you can wait 4 weeks Powabyke will have their new electric bike on the market which is a radical change in design to the current range. Pictures will be available in about 2 weeks time.

Regards

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
Hi Mattyduk,

If you can wait 4 weeks Powabyke will have their new electric bike on the market which is a radical change in design to the current range. Pictures will be available in about 2 weeks time.

Regards

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd
cheers for that. Not looking to buy until Mid September anyway. I look forward to seeing the pics