Powacycle Lynx & Puma

IzzyB

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2007
I currently have a Giant Lafree Twist, but I'm struggling with it a bit as I have a medical condition which means my legs are quite weak and tire easily. I was hoping it would help me sail up hills but I find I have to put in more effort than I expected from pedalling, and can only manage a gentle slope. I was wondering whether I might do better with a Powacycle where I can use the throttle for the hillier bits without having to pedal, and I'm quite attracted to one of the folding ones (Puma or Lynx), so I can take it in the car to a park or wherever (I live in London, a fairly hilly bit!) - but would it it get me up hills a bit more effortlessly than the Lafree? Some might say well why don't you just get a moped, but I have a car for longer journeys, so would only be planning to do shortish trips, probably not more than a couple of miles at a time.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has one of these or has a view on it. Also do you know if Powacycle have an outlet in London where I could try one out?

best wishes,
Izzy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Powacycle bikes are low powered and I think that wouldn't be a good choice in your circumstance. There are dealers handling them, perhaps Powacycle would recommend one where you could try a bike.

The bike that immediately stands out for your purpose is the eZee Quando, which is about the best power only hill climber of all. With my 70 kilos/11 stone weight, it will climb a 12% (1 in 8) by itself just on the throttle and even start off from standstill without pedalling on that. On an even steeper hill like 14% (1 in 7), only the merest pedal assistance is necessary for it to climb that.

There's two versions, the Quando I with suspension, and the Quando II without. I bought the model II which is just as comfortable with it's fat tyres. Both are car boot folders.

They have no gears, just one 70" fixed speed with which you can pedal up to about 14/15 mph at most, but the bike usually runs beyond that speed anyway, so no need for pedalling most of the time.

You can read more here.

and at 50cycles.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Hi Izzy,

I have a powacycle puma which is great for mainly flat terrain. Its stylish and it feels like a normal bike and is ideal for putting in the car. Great for cycling around central london and having general fun in hyde park etc, and the range is about 16 miles per charge. You can test ride the bikes at The Electric Transport Shop in Camden London - they are a powacycle dealer.

The bike does struggle with hills, especially when the battery is running down, which makes it prone to cut out on hills, due to its low powered motor and lithium battery. However, if you keep the battery topped up as much as possible and the hills are fairly short and not too steep it would be ok, but it is advisable to pedal.

If you really cant pedal much and have serious hills to contend with i would say the ezee bikes would be more suitable for you.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you end up purchasing.

ps...im very happy with my powacycle puma as it is perfect for me to have fun with and get some exercise at the same time, but not so good on hills but i can live with that :)

Hope you find your purchase as pleasurable :)

Best wishes

UrbanPuma

Last edited:

IzzyB

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2007
Thanks Flecc & Urbanpuma,

Will definitely look into the Ezee Quando, sounds more like what I need.

Isobel