powacycle salisbury fault help

Xt512

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 24, 2010
Chaps

Would appreciate some help.

I have a powacycle Salisbury which is terminal. The bike is not responsive to throttle or pedlec although there is a sound coming from the control box. Also the rear wheel (motor) is ok going ahead but noticeably restricted (hard to turn)going astern ( pardon my nautical descriptions here please) I do not remember it being hard to turn in the past. There is a perhaps an electrical smell from the control box.

All connections are tight and the battery is fully charged.

Any thoughts

Chris

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These internally geared motors are always harder to turn backwards, since their internal freewheel only disconnects the motor in the forward wheel turn direction. Trying to rotate the wheel backwards means you are spinning the motor fast through a 1 to 6 step-up in gearing.

It's impossible to be certain at a distance, but it's most likely to be just a controller failure from what you say, though there are other possibilities.

Xt512

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 24, 2010
Thanks Flecc

If I replace the controller am I likely to damage it if the fault is in the motor?

Regards

chris

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Thanks Flecc

If I replace the controller am I likely to damage it if the fault is in the motor?

Regards

chris
Yes Been there, so now I often stick 1 amp fuses in the phase wiring and run it off load. Its even caught Powacycle out them selves.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Yes Been there, so now I often stick 1 amp fuses in the phase wiring and run it off load. Its even caught Powacycle out them selves.
My old salisbury is also kaput, I would like to get it going so i can sell it on [for parts only]. Could you go into more details about your fix?

D

Deleted member 4366

Chaps

Would appreciate some help.

I have a powacycle Salisbury which is terminal. The bike is not responsive to throttle or pedlec although there is a sound coming from the control box. Also the rear wheel (motor) is ok going ahead but noticeably restricted (hard to turn)going astern ( pardon my nautical descriptions here please) I do not remember it being hard to turn in the past. There is a perhaps an electrical smell from the control box.

All connections are tight and the battery is fully charged.

Any thoughts

Chris
If the motor is quite hard to turn as opposed to just being able to detect a bit of resistance, then the most likely cause is shorted phase wires. Have a look at where the wires come oout of the motor and follow along them to the controller to look for damage. That would also account for noise from the controller.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Remember that [re above reply] that the phase short could be in the controller as well as on the actual phase wires themselves. Disconnect the motor phase wires at the controller, and see if the wheel reverses more easily. If it does, that points to a controller fault.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
My old salisbury is also kaput, I would like to get it going so i can sell it on [for parts only]. Could you go into more details about your fix?
Its not a fix its just to see if the motor is tight, Ive seen a few now. They dont blow the fuse in the battery case, just fry the controllers.

So off load they should only pull 1 amp, so my idea is to put the fuses in the phase wires so they pop before a controller.

I have a newish rear hub off one here, killed a few controllers, Ive stripped it down found nothing, put it back together and found it was running freer. runs great now on the bench. Might be brave one day and try it on a bike.

These controllers are not cheap so 3 50p fuses are well worth it