Power glitch?

Andy 72

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 19, 2021
Hi all new here. I purchased a 1500w 48v kit from eBay, all works good on assist and throttle, no display with kit.one ordered hope it fits .
But when riding I get to a certain speed and it starts to pull me back as if its trying to slow me down?
Any one else have this or any help please .

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
At what speed is it that you feel it's trying to slow you down?

Although the headline speed says 34mph, the ad says the kit is supplied restricted to 250w and 16mph - the UK legal limit. Once you hit that limit, that's a lot of weight to be hauling around without any assistance - the kit weight is 10.5kg plus your battery, maybe 4+kg?

Andy 72

Oct 19, 2021
It actually could be at the 15.5 .I'm fitted a cheap speedo just get some idea .

I've spoken to the very hard not good at English guy and he doesn't know how to change from the 250w 15.5mph ,but he also said that's only for the advert?

Andy 72

Oct 19, 2021
I got a lcd display but it has 5 pins and 2 pins ,
I only have a 4 pin left on controller ,guessing my 6 pin block needs some wires removed

kezzer green

Just Joined
Jul 18, 2021
Somerset
Did any of the cable look like a jumper cable, a plug with another plug in, with a small loop of wire, these are often used for either electronic lock or to derestrict, voilamart for European Market so likely restricted, do you know Controller brand if kt kunteng option could be get screen to access power settings, or if you have a nice battery upgrade to another controller get some power to motor 1500w plus depending on bat volts I get 2000w into my 1500w kit using a 52v battery is perfect 48v at with 40amp controller good too;)

Andy 72

Oct 19, 2021
Lcd just gives me error e10 ,checked around and looks like it's no good for my controller, even tho it's in the pics lol ,
I've put it all on a different frame so will be out today to test ,cheap speed added to get an idea of speeds

Andy 72

Oct 19, 2021
Ok so swapped all to a better frame ,everything seems to be working fine about 15 miles and throttle seems glitched, feels like it cuts out for a second and cuts back in again ,I've ordered another twist throttle, just hope the wires are the same

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
That battery is not up to supplying the required current draw required to power your motor/controller, regardless of what the seller claims in the ad, hence your cutting out issues, nothing to do with the throttle. Those motor kits need a battery built with quality cells, which cost around £300-350.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The battery specs are 20a continuous, look on the controller to see what the max current is, one suspects it will be 25 if not 30a. You will need a battery that can supply in excess of the controller rating, the battery must be rated for and say continuous current 25 or 30a etc, etc. Ignore the peak current rating as that rating is for a short burst of current for 10/20 secs only.
For these kits one needs serious batteries that aren't cheap., not that the £207 for that basic battery isn't exactly cheap either but will tell you a lot more dosh is needed in excess of £400.

Andy 72

Oct 19, 2021
Maybe I would be better off using this battery with a 1000w wheel, I am looking at another kit ,just wanting the lcd this time and wanting to try a front wheel

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It doesn't matter which motor kit you use, you have to match the battery continuous operating current (not the peak out put current) to the kits controller. So before buying any kit one needs to know the controllers current specs.

Any controller for that battery should be no more then 20a rated, ideally 17a would be better so the battery isn't maxed out.

Andy 72

Oct 19, 2021
Ok great info ,I'll check kit see what it says,also see if I can lower the control Box on bike