Powerpedals tonaro compy puncture

hoppy

May 25, 2010
Went to go for my daily ride only to find rear tyre flat! But discovered another advantage of central drive system-no need to undo any electrical connections-qd wheel comes out as easily as an ordinary bike.Quick repair and away!Shall carry spare tube now

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
What tyres are you using Hoppy?

I have just ordered the Enduro and am looking for road Schwalbe tyres which will fit it. As soon as it arrives I will change the tyres.

I have 3 bikes and always use Schwalbe and have never had a flat. Touch wood.

Steve

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales

I have just ordered the Enduro and am looking for road Schwalbe tyres which will fit it. As soon as it arrives I will change the tyres.

Steve
I have had some punctures in Schwalbe CXCOMP and then Marathon Racer tyres. It really does depend on your usage and route. I have recently switched to Schwalbe Marathon Plus and this seems to be the tyre best suited to my usage and route. I dont carry a spare tube. Nearly all my punctures have been fixed without removing the wheel using a "safety pin method" ;)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I have had some punctures in Schwalbe CXCOMP and then Marathon Racer tyres. It really does depend on your usage and route. I have recently switched to Schwalbe Marathon Plus and this seems to be the tyre best suited to my usage and route. I dont carry a spare tube. Nearly all my punctures have been fixed without removing the wheel using a "safety pin method" ;)
OK Alan......spit it out ......what on earth is a safety pin method ??? :)

hoppy

May 25, 2010
Hi, Steve. Great to hear you've ordered the Tonaro Enduro. My Compy is still on itsoriginal Kendas-they're OK but a bit noisy. In fact tyre noise is all you can hear as you ride along-the motor and gears are so quiet! Happy riding, hoppy

dellpitch

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 6, 2008
Why cannot I see the the previous 5 pages on this thread, I can on others?
Sorry probably not the right place to post but I did not know where else.

Regards

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Yeah, i'll bite too... please explain the 'safety pin' method.
z0mb13e/Funkylyn, This is for those small to tiny punctures and goes as follows: pump the type up to full pressure, find where the air is escaping using you preferred method, determine if there is something in the tyre and remove using a sharp object i.e a safety pin (for me its usually shark tooth flint) and then ... and this is the clever bit ... puncture the tyre MORE by stabbing it with the safety pin. A single stab will suffice. The tyre will then deflate quickly. Reveal the tube using your plastic spoon things .. and then inspect the tube and find (without any trouble at all) the nice hole that you made and patch it. (No need to re-inflate) -- I usually get one of two responses when I explain this method. I wonder what yours is going to be?

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
z0mb13e/Funkylyn, This is for those small to tiny punctures and goes as follows: pump the type up to full pressure, find where the air is escaping using you preferred method, determine if there is something in the tyre and remove using a sharp object i.e a safety pin (for me its usually shark tooth flint) and then ... and this is the clever bit ... puncture the tyre MORE by stabbing it with the safety pin. A single stab will suffice. The tyre will then deflate quickly. Reveal the tube using your plastic spoon things .. and then inspect the tube and find (without any trouble at all) the nice hole that you made and patch it. (No need to re-inflate) -- I usually get one of two responses when I explain this method. I wonder what yours is going to be?
Well I've been flitting backwards and forwards between confusion and incredulity but I think I understand now. You are making the puncture in the inner tube more obvious so you can find it easily... am I right? But not sure about the 'no need to re-inflate' I must be missing something there... I had visions of some clever fold in the inner tube held firm by a safety pin!

Usually I only have to repair punctures in the garage as they are rare and I don't really fancy changing a rear tube on the Whisper on the road side. But while in the garage I am fortunate enough to have an air compressor with a tyre inflater so finding punctures is a simple matter of over inflating the inner tube (off the bike) and quickly locating the hole(s).

I guess the 'safety pin' method is born of necessity as faffing around looking for punctures is never fun at the roadside (as it is as Murphys law requires, usually raining).

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
You are making the puncture in the inner tube more obvious so you can find it easily... am I right? But not sure about the 'no need to re-inflate' I must be missing something ...
This is road side or lunchtime at work. Having found the hole in the tyre and removed flint you deflate and reveal the tube only to find that you cant find the hole! ... so .. I used to re-inflate in order to find the hole that I know is there somewhere .. and sometimes even after re-inflating I haven't been able to find the hole ..(bear in mind that I am in my 50s and spent 2 years in my reading glass denial phase! ..)

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
This is road side or lunchtime at work. Having found the hole in the tyre and removed flint you deflate and reveal the tube only to find that you cant find the hole! ... so .. I used to re-inflate in order to find the hole that I know is there somewhere .. and sometimes even after re-inflating I haven't been able to find the hole ..(bear in mind that I am in my 50s and spent 2 years in my reading glass denial phase! ..)
All makes perfect sense! One to remember.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Very clever......AND I understood it......which is amazing as I have to admit that I (whispering )have never fixed a puncture in my life ........but I am going to learn and will remember your clever tip.

Lynda

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Making the ouncture more obvious is fine of course, but puncture outfits include a marker intended to mark the spot. Personally I sand the spot at the inflated stage, using the included sandpaper, and that makes the puncture point obvious, no need to mark and the tube cleaned ready for solution and patch.

The fine puncture hole in the sanded patch can be exposed easily by stretching the tube if the location of it's precise centre point is desired.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Went to go for my daily ride only to find rear tyre flat! But discovered another advantage of central drive system-no need to undo any electrical connections-qd wheel comes out as easily as an ordinary bike.Quick repair and away!Shall carry spare tube now
Brilliant - thanks for heads up - its certainly an advantage.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Yep, I have Schwalbe (Marathon plus I think) on my non e bike and (also touch wood) never had a puncture either.

Definitely worth it.

Steve