Preference or Alternatives

Wayneadam

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 15, 2009
Hi All,

First Time I've used a forum....hoping have started this "Thread" in the correct place?

My budget is around £500.
Not top end granted...but think I have narrowed down some potentials.

*The Cyclamatic Power Plus Electric Bike,

*The SYNERGIE MISTRAL LITHIUM E-Bike Electric Bike Bicycle,

and *The Powercycle Salisbury LPX E-Bike.

Any preference or alternatives?

Many Thanks.

Wayne

PS Have just test road the Powabyke and not sure if it was a bad example but didn't think great. Jerky..on off power deliver with what looks like a fairly crude pedal sensor bolted under the the crank...could explain?

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Hi Wayne,

Ive never heard of the first one but from what i've read in the forums from customers who own the other two bikes, they seem very happy with them, so either will probably do. One thing to consider is how the bikes operate/perform, then choose the one that suits your needs best.

Good Luck! :)

Last edited:

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
The Powercycle Salisbury and Windsor represent amazing value for money. My dad had a Windsor for the last year (although he has now upgraded to a Giant) and it served him proud. I rode his bike for a week a couple of months ago and was pretty impressed (especially given the price)

On the downside, in-spite of the three-position switch on the handlebars, there is no way to switch off the pedelec assist mode without using the switch on the battery (which means leaning over looking backwards whilst riding along). This can mean that you spend a lot of time 'pedalling air' with the motor putting in all the work. The other common problem seems to be rust spots on the handlebars and headstock.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Mistral and Salisbury are very good value and have many satisfied owners.

I'd advise you forget the Cyclamatic. The nonsense on their webpage about it's fame and being Europes leading e-bike brand is sheer fantasy. No-one has ever heard of them and they are clearly what we call "parts bin" bikes, made by a number of Chinese companies from the cheap components made there for anyone to use and branded in any name.

The UK outlet is a Sports Shop which might be a very unreliable agent for service, spares and batteries in future.

RedSkywalker

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2008
I'm another happy Salisbury owner. I tried the Mistral before deciding, but found it was a lot harder to pedal the Mistral without batttery assist than the Salisbury which is relatively easy [I think it's because the Mistral uses a brush motor?]

Wayneadam

May 15, 2009
Mine Field

Thanks all for you helpful advise!

Bit of a mine field but deffinately think i am getting there.
Possible because of my budget...admittedly.

I note that the Synergie Mistral is higher rated ie 36V 10Ah and has a brush motor. I understand that these are more efficient and I have other bikes if i want to cycle so the drag factor is not a concern.
I do a have slight reservations regards the fact there is no shop although I have spoken to there technical/workshop guy and have also checked pedlecs forum and not found any bad feed back.

Interestingly though....I have found that "The Electric Transport Shop" are selling the "Smarta GT"
It looks the same (apart from the colour) and has on paper exactly the same tech spec as the Synergie Mistral.
They tell me it is an up rated version of the Synergie.

The Smarta GT is a couple of hundred pound more plus the future running costs i.e. battery £250 as against £180.

I understand The Electric Transport Shop to be reputable. if it is truly upgraded I think it is the bike for me.

However I would be a little upset to discover it to be a rebadged Synergy.

I find it slightly perplexing to imagine a Chinese manufacturer making a bike that looks on paper and physically the same but made apparently to a different spec?

Are you aware of such a thing?????

Many Thanks.

Wayne.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Interestingly though....I have found that "The Electric Transport Shop" are selling the "Smarta GT"
It looks the same (apart from the colour) and has on paper exactly the same tech spec as the Synergie Mistral.
They tell me it is an up rated version of the Synergie.

The Smarta GT is a couple of hundred pound more plus the future running costs i.e. battery £250 as against £180.
It must just be a coincidence that they don't sell Synergie anymore. :D
That said I wonder why they don't sell it anymore, lots of warranty work maybe? :confused:
It is often hard to understand why one costs a lot more than another, I rode the Mistral and the Wisper 905 back to back and the differences weren't obvious because it was only a short ride. I much preferred the Wisper but didn't know why, if two bikes £600 apart seem similar then £200 will be harder to spot the difference.
Delivery dates might be more important as forecast delivery dates can be a bit variable.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I note that the Synergie Mistral is higher rated ie 36V 10Ah and has a brush motor. I understand that these are more efficient and I have other bikes if i want to cycle so the drag factor is not a concern.
One correction Wayne, brushed motors are less efficient. Scroll down on the wikipedia brushless motor page below to "Comparison with brush motors" to see the differences:

Article

roguesolo

Mar 11, 2009
B32
Hello Wayne,

I bought a Mistral last week. So far, so good. I've travelled about 15 miles on it so far, and haven't yet discharged the battery for the first time.

I weigh 14 stone and the bike feels stable, and well constructed. My Dahon folder, carrying my same weight tends to creak a bit *ahem*. If you've ridden any of the less expensive Dawes Discovery range of bikes, the Mistral is similar in how it rides, the only difference is the Synergie bike being heavier.

For the price I think the Mistral is a bargain. To quote an advert "It does what it says on the tin". It stops, starts, goes around corners and gives you a bit of help on the hills.

I cannot comment on the other bikes that you've mentioned as the Synergie is the only one that I've owned.

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
"Interestingly though....I have found that "The Electric Transport Shop" are selling the "Smarta GT"
They tell me it is an up rated version of the Synergie."

I think you will find that it is indeed a rebadged Synergie Mistral, and that the "uprating" consists of a front dynahub and associated lights, all very useful things to have - I added them to my Mistral.