Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tho you can go to far lolDSC_0673_01.JPG

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
tho you can go to far lolView attachment 26930
I don't like bosh they just not my cup a tea. There good bikes I'm sure but I just wouldn't like to own one. I like my bike too much I wouldn't swap it for a bosh of any kind. I could eat my words in a few years if bosh does something reverlotionary or there motars prove to be more durable by a significant margin. Until then Giant is the one for me because they make things so much easier

Last edited:

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
What's the battery capacity? I just had a look and can't find it

Last edited:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Want less gears not more, never had gears before so the double ring would leave me looking down trying to work out what gear i'm in rather than looking where i'm going.
The Gains are more for experience cyclists looking for little assist, not really for unfit inexperience rider. I suggest you try one out along with more standard ebikes with bigger batteries and motors.

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
The Gains are more for experience cyclists looking for little assist, not really for unfit inexperience rider. I suggest you try one out along with more standard ebikes with bigger batteries and motors.
Me too they look like your paying top dollar but getting far less than say a Giant road E as far as motor and battery are concerned

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
Will be trying as many as possible next week at je james cycle fest. The gain, even though i can't be described as experienced or fit, seems to tick more boxes, i only have a 5 mile commute so bigger battery is not important, have a fair few steps to get in and out of work, so the lighter weight is an advantage. Having the gtech, i'm hoping the gain motor should give slightly more power along with the gears to help more with the hills and hopefully get past the cut off without spinning out.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Are the gain models you are thinking about available in your local bike shops? Some customers have had to wait months for their bikes. I don't think the problem has been a shortage of the bikes, the hold up has been a shortage of the electric motors.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'm thinking of buying the orbea gain, with drop bars, single chain ring and wide tyres. The d31 has all 3 at £2600. The d50 has double chain ring but thinner tyres at £1800 and the f40 has single ring, wide tyres but flat bars at £1700.
The d31 has sram rival components, are these really worth the extra £800/£900 over the claris and altus parts.

Could I ask what your intended use is for the bike?

Intentionally not focussing on the gearing for a moment, have you considered the pros and cons of the larger/smaller width tyres and drop/flat handlebars?

From an extremely quick and non in-depth look at the bikes.

The d31 is drop dead gorgeous looking bike, and being a fan of dual purpose bikes, would certainly attract me.

The d50 is obviously fast road biased, but has mechanical disc brakes over the hydraulic set up of the d31 and the f40.

The f40 possibly represent the value, but has flat bars in place of drop.

I haven't checked to see if the motor and battery specs are the same between bikes.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Battery specs are the same from what I can see, 250wh/ 6.9ah 36v.
As Eddie mentioned ideal if you only want assist occasionally then any range is rideable. The system is a Canbus system so not hackable , it has Bluetooth connectivity to adjust some settings.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Eddie and anyone else what are your thoughts when comparing flat bars to drops on e-bikes?

On conventional bikes I can see that drops make a big difference compared to flats due to the more aero dynamic riding position they offer.

On e-bikes though are they going to make as big a difference?

When going up steep hills or against fairly strong winds (assuming riding with motor assistance in highest mode) then will riding in a more aero position make a huge difference?

Going down hill the extra weight of an e-bike should help, also if you want to go a few miles an hour faster then you can get into a more aero position even with flat bars, although its not as comfortable as proper drop bars.

Riding on the flat and or riding with the wind above the motor cut off speed then I can see an advantage in drop bars. Some one posted an excellent web site that shows the wattage saved when using drop bars but that was for a conventional bike.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hi Nev, sadly I can't comment about comparing drop bars with flat bars, as I have never really had any measurable experience using drop bars, although I do have a 1980's Mercier road bike that is fitted with them, hidden away at the back of the shed.

They don't appeal to me, but I know that when I mentioned them previously, Gubbins had good things to say about them. Being used to wide mtb bars, I didn't like the twitchy feel that they give, but assume that you wouldn't notice that after a period of time.

Ref the Orbea, I did spot that an auxiliary battery is available, and a quick search brought this up. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/2018-orbea-gain.31202/

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
Are the gain models you are thinking about available in your local bike shops? Some customers have had to wait months for their bikes. I don't think the problem has been a shortage of the bikes, the hold up has been a shortage of the electric motors.
Not in a rush, spring would be fine.

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
Could I ask what your intended use is for the bike?

Intentionally not focussing on the gearing for a moment, have you considered the pros and cons of the larger/smaller width tyres and drop/flat handlebars?

From an extremely quick and non in-depth look at the bikes.

The d31 is drop dead gorgeous looking bike, and being a fan of dual purpose bikes, would certainly attract me.

The d50 is obviously fast road biased, but has mechanical disc brakes over the hydraulic set up of the d31 and the f40.

I haven't checked to see if the motor and battery specs are the same between bikes.
The wider tyres would hopefully give a bit more comfort, the drop bars for different hand positions and looks plus never had them before. The d31 would be my choice but struggling to justify the extra cash, i understand the components are presumably better, which is why i asked the original question, thought more experienced riders may have opinions on whether the extra quality is worth the price.
Intended use would be 90% road commute and hopefully a bit of riding in derbyshire, such as tissington trail.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Horse for courses, I mainly have wide bars with ergons. I also have a drop bar gravel bike, for me I find the wider bar stance more comfortable then drops despite the drops having variable hand positions for me it is the narrowness and arm positions that is not as comfortable.
Drops only offer in my view slightly more aero position if you like to be haunched over or adopt a lower crouch position more.
I can adopt low crouch over the cross bar on my flat bar Boardman for down hill for aoro position quite comfortably .

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
i understand the components are presumably better, which is why i asked the original question, thought more experienced riders may have opinions on whether the extra quality is worth the price.
I've only come back to riding bikes this year after about a 20 year break. Back then although the quality of the components improved as the price increased, a big difference was the weight of the components. Generally the more you paid the lighter the component was. I would imagine its still the same now. On a non e road racing bike people will pay a lot of money to save a kilogram or two buy purchasing a top of the range group set.

I wonder if there is not a great deal of point paying out extra money to save a bit of weight when using an e-bike.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The Altus derailleur on F40 is very average, I swapped my wifes for 5 year old deore I had. Significant improvement in shift quality. Wouldn't cost much to replace with deore or even XT. I think MT200 brakes are new replacements for M315 which a good brakes especially for commuting.

Nice having option to fit mudguards and rack, makes commuting a lot more pleasant.

Drop bars will allow you to ride well above 25kmh assist cut off, trade off is in handling, flat bars well give more control especially in tight commute situations.

JeffR

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 18, 2018
I have had the D31 (drop bar single chainring wide tyres) for about 2 months. I've taken it on some serious off road trails but ride mostly on tarmac. You get all the gears you need with the Rival x-1 ; if you swap the standard 11-36 Casette for an 11-42, its even better for extreme hills, which I have to contend with. The Rival deraileur and hydraulic brakes are a huge upgrade over the Shimano Altius.
All the Orbea Gain models use the same motor and battery. The difference in the frame is Carbon or Aluminium - otherwise the frames are all the same. The only real differences is how they are set up. I find the D31 to be the best of all worlds. It is called AllRoad and that is a perfect description.
The level of power assist on the Gain is MUCH LESS than what is available from mid-drive motors. The Gain will NOT get you up very steep hills without very significant input from the rider. It is fine for rolling hills or long gentle inclines.
THe most I've ever eeked out of the battery was 30 miles.