Prices have gone crazy for bare hubs + shipping + VAT - anyone know a good source?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you cant make those bikes legal on the roads but it seems they dont care about that point of law as more profit in it going faster.

like why would you risk ur life to deliver a big mac if you get paid salary it makes no sense same as a 3kw hub motor as that thing will eat the batts so not worth it for you to buy a bike like that given the price of a batt.

but imo it is a tax deducible from the company same as the bikes ect as a running cost.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
you cant make those bikes legal on the roads but it seems they dont care about that point of law as more profit in it going faster.
If Justeat is providing 3k hubbed bikes, they must be legal somehow?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
like why would you risk ur life to deliver a big mac if you get paid salary it makes no sense same as a 3kw hub motor as that thing will eat the batts so not worth it for you to buy a bike like that given the price of a batt.
I do know that a lot of ebike food delivery riders are paid per delivery, not salaried... just the legal bike and batts needed for typical per night delivery distance.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they dont even wear crash helmets round here and there not road legal nor are they cheap so they must be giving them the bikes to use as other wise it makes no sense.

id try and follow one but i cant keep up with that for long :(

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
like why would you risk ur life to deliver a big mac if you get paid salary it makes no sense
They're delivering to make a living - I prefer working in the warm and dry.

they must have a warehouse round here somewhere but i cant find it
Here?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • :D
Reactions: PC2017

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
na my rear frame has a thru axle and id never work or get stuff from amazon anyway.

ill just keep selling crack :p

• :D
Reactions: guerney

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
unless credit card companies forward the details of the purchase to the exchequer
I believe the market place Aliexpress has a company name registered in the UK "London Aliex" or something. As for websites dispatching from oversees, the T&C's of sagepay, paypal and such likes, even Visa etc have terms where by the website to use these payment services and offer services in different counties must obey the Tax laws of any given jurisdiction, whether they do or not is another matter.

Louis Rossmann refused to ship to the UK from the USA (whether this is still the case or not I don't know) due to having to collect VAT at the point of sale, setup an account with HMRC and pay any funds on goods shipped to the UK, Tbf I don't blame him, extra work for little business, not to mention currency fees and such.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I suspect I'm complicit in tax evasion when buying from most Chinese sellers - higher value items I've ordered directly or through ebay have been reposted to me from the UK or Germany, after arrival from China - they wouldn't be doing that, unless there was some tax reduction angle.
I've had that as well where a battery was despatched from Slough I think so they must have shipped them in bulk to there and then used local couriers to send around the country. This might be more efficient rather than a tax dodge but I'm suspicious. Everything I buy from Aliexpress now pretty much charges me VAT unless its a rare item despatched from the UK but that was probably before the change of rules when I last did that.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I believe the market place Aliexpress has a company name registered in the UK "London Aliex" or something. As for websites dispatching from oversees, the T&C's of sagepay, paypal and such likes, even Visa etc have terms where by the website to use these payment services and offer services in different counties must obey the Tax laws of any given jurisdiction, whether they do or not is another matter.

Louis Rossmann refused to ship to the UK from the USA (whether this is still the case or not I don't know) due to having to collect VAT at the point of sale, setup an account with HMRC and pay any funds on goods shipped to the UK, Tbf I don't blame him, extra work for little business, not to mention currency fees and such.
Huge amount of stuff is sold from China to the UK and obeying tax laws seems a mute point when the laws in China are very loose when it comes to commerce. I'm sure I had something recently that I paid tax on but there was a invoice included to a much lower amount but can't remember the details but it was a low value item.

Also if you ever use cashback sites like topcashback the price of the item is always 30% less it seems that tracks than the amount I paid. So if you spent £100 plus VAT with 10% cashback it tracks as something like £6 or £7 cashback possibly less.

• Informative
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
battery was despatched from Slough
There is a system in place that afaik, any company like Yose, Dillenger, Bmsbattery & Pswpower rent warehouse space mainly down south or in Germany, there is a skeleton admin/order picking crew that pick from different companies daily and dispatch using local postal systems. It makes me wonder if Amazon & Sports direct thought that's a great idea lets nick it!

I am not convinced with Cashback sites, they will infest your computer, accounts & slow your phones and computers down with tracking cookies, bombard you with ads for stuff you may not need. One offered my £16 cashback on a random purchase then had the cheek to list the T&Cs where by it would cost me £15 per month to join. A note on free sites; if it's free then you are the product. I guess some folks don't mind these terms, but it's not for me I am far too frugal, not to mention skint.

Shamefully I will be limiting my online purchases to things that I will not return (unless it's faulty) as Paypal recently closed down the "returns on us" system where by for 15 returns a year they would refund the postage costs.

Last edited:

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
My friend collects electrical cable, copper, aluminium and brass, he avoids steel where possible (to heavy and lower value I e. 17p per kg).
To find most aluminium, brass and copper you have to take stuff apart
Electrical cable (appliances) is £1.50 per kg, don't bother stripping it, not worth your time.
Tinned cable (copper cable covered in tin) most found inside electronics, computers(, internet and phone cable are worth less than electrical appliance copper cable. His scrapyard puts it in with appliance cable and gives him full price, most don't.
Cast aluminium (heatsinks, hard drives) is worth more than plain aluminium.
The easiest way to get brass is plugs that come apart, the pins are brass
He does this as a sideline, it's worth it for him due to the tax saving on parts etc
He has certain routes he covers and takes small loads to the scrappy, they are good and find him a bit of a novelty
Tools, good pair of cable cutters, screwdriver that takes separate bits (wera are good) and a set of torx screwdrivers for computer stuff.
If you are smashing up plastic items (power adapters etc) to get inside them, put them in the freezer first, it makes the plastic more brittle
If you need anymore info or help with an item private message me, my friend tells me at length about this

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My friend collects electrical cable, copper, aluminium and brass, he avoids steel where possible (to heavy and lower value I e. 17p per kg).
To find most aluminium, brass and copper you have to take stuff apart
Electrical cable (appliances) is £1.50 per kg, don't bother stripping it, not worth your time.
Tinned cable (copper cable covered in tin) most found inside electronics, computers(, internet and phone cable are worth less than electrical appliance copper cable. His scrapyard puts it in with appliance cable and gives him full price, most don't.
Cast aluminium (heatsinks, hard drives) is worth more than plain aluminium.
The easiest way to get brass is plugs that come apart, the pins are brass
He does this as a sideline, it's worth it for him due to the tax saving on parts etc
He has certain routes he covers and takes small loads to the scrappy, they are good and find him a bit of a novelty
Tools, good pair of cable cutters, screwdriver that takes separate bits (wera are good) and a set of torx screwdrivers for computer stuff.
If you are smashing up plastic items (power adapters etc) to get inside them, put them in the freezer first, it makes the plastic more brittle
If you need anymore info or help with an item private message me, my friend tells me at length about this
Thank you for taking the time to type out all that interesting and useful information - I'll be seeing scrap as coins and notes strewn on the ides of the road in future. I already write the bike and parts off against tax, as well as computers, phones, production audio, photography and video gear - I'd be able to write off far more buying a Bosch motored bike, but I can't stomach the thought of what I regard as a tragic waste of money, when easily repairable and upgradable motor systems still exist. I have oodles of metal a scrapyard may buy, because I throw nothing away... hoarded things for years. If all it amounts to is extra beer money, that's always welcome.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you could get a yamaha mid drive as at least you can buy the parts and controllers and bearings from peter but the batts are a fkn rip off

they can also do board repair now ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
you could get a yamaha mid drive as at least you can buy the parts and controllers and bearings from peter but the batts are a fkn rip off
That right there has put me off. I'll stick with non-canbussed Bafang motors, while they're available... and when they leave a vacuum, I expect there will be others stepping up offering similar easy to repair and upgrade systems, to fill that market void.