Prices of the electricity we use to charge

D

Deleted member 16246

There is a HUGE amount of b o llox talked about this subject. THIS is official government data.

We have never had cleaner air.

I call upon those fearful of the impact of our air to look at the relatively small amount of the pollution that exists that comes from car transport. It is tiny by comparison to the rest.

Don't let the facts get in the way of politically motivated clap trap though. Who needs facts when you can just shout racism when someone expresses disdain for a political fanatic who makes policy based on misinformation.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Of course a charge of twelve pounds a day results in cars being dumped. What else would the care worker on minimum wage do when her car suddenly was subjected to a retrospective tax (retrospective in the sense that having bought a diesel after government encouragement in the Blair years, it suddenly caused her a £3000 a year fine for daring to use it to visit her helpless old, people. I wonder how many of the economically inactive care worker population gave up because they could no longer afford to go to work?
Look for statistics on how many Londoners are paying £12 a day. Not even 0.5% of Londoners.
That's the point. Nobody would like to be at the receiving end of other people's rubbish.
I often go visit my in-laws in Carshalton and got a headache just for driving from Coulsdon to Croydon then Carshalton, a distance less than 5 miles but because the traffic is so dense, it takes about half an hour. Since Ulez is expanded, the amount of poison in the air has gradually and noticeably reduced.
I am pretty sure that public opinion in the expanded ulez zone has shifted since its introduction, now that the benefit of cleaner air along busy main thoroughfares becomes noticeable.
Unless you drive in Ulez zone, you won't see why the conservative candidate has got the issue of Ulez so wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just buy a helicopter as no ulez fee for those.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh
D

Deleted member 16246

The inter active map shown here at the link below shows the air quality at the very many DEFRA air quality monitoring sites run on behalf of the government. You can drill down into the data of each site by clicking on the balloon at whatever location.

The colours used to show instantly the state of affairs are GREEN for good air quality, AMBER or YELLOW for less good quality and RED for poor air quality. These maps are a live display of the current situation so they change according to time of day and day of week and also according to weather conditions. Today - we have predominantly still air and high pressure which tends to make pollution on the ground in cities worse. It is Sunday of course, so traffic levels will be low, but of course, as I have pointed out above, traffic is a small contributor to the overall situation except perhaps at specific problematic locations such as Marylebone Road, where topography, canyons of buildings and heavy stationary traffic create a specific localised problem at times. I well recall riding my Brompton down there, weaving in and out of stationary diesel buses and vans.

Live link address - check it any time you like: https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/interactive-map

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We have never had cleaner air.
that's easily agreeable. Would you like also even cleaner air, though? Clean water? Quiet environment? Renewable electricity? Plenty of green spaces? Controlled price on first necessities?
If you do, would you agree with sustenable development?

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you cant have free energy or antigravity drives you will never get accepted for it or will be killed.

it is all about the money power and control.

D

Deleted member 16246

that's easily agreeable. Would you like also even cleaner air, though? Clean water? Quiet environment? Renewable electricity? Plenty of green spaces? Controlled price on first necessities?
If you do, would you agree with sustenable development?
That depends on whether:

a) we attack the correct source of the pollution

b) whether the alluring slogan (even cleaner air) is about that, or a hard left/green conspiracy to destroy personal mobility, people who have a bit of money, and a conspiracy against the rights of free people to do what they like without interference from green fascists.

You have probably read as I have the bleatings of flecc like folk (hinted at in his gollum like post above which I can't see now) that "THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING - GET USED TO IT".

We have all seen articles accepting that a) modern IC cars emit more particulate pollution from their tyres and brakes han they do from their exhaust pipes. It is also true that tyre and brake particulate matter is worse in electric cars than modern petrol ones because they are heavier. Electrification of cars will not reduce PM10 and PM2.5 emissions at all.

Green fascists want all cars banned. They have said so.

I live forty miles from the nearest large city. The area as I have often remarked, is very hilly. Buses are infrequent, slow and uncomfortable and the journey takes one hour and thirty five minutes. I'll be damned if I am going to accept curbs on my ability to get in my car and drive to see my friends and family, to satisfy ill-informed busy bodies who have no idea of the feeble sources of the memes they shout about, one of which is that forty thousand deaths a year in Britain caused by air pollution.

It is not true and such a claim could never be made with any foundation. The confounding variables in the cause of any death other than being stabbed perhaps on KHan's dysfunctional city make it impossible.

Why?

Most deaths happen to old people. Old people have been subjected to massive variabilities over time, a huge range of different factors have affected them. Air pollution if it causes death does not usually manifest as an acute asthmatic incident. The hypothesised deaths would occur as incidents of cardio vascular crises. I don't need to list all of the environmental and lifestyle impacts on cardiovascular health. THIS IS WHY THE NUMBERS GIVEN RELATING TO DEATHS FROM AIR POLLUTION ARE SPECIOUS. They are made up. No one knows the number, and so says the professor of statistics at one of the foremost statistics institutes in the country.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Something that confuses me is why does Sadiq Kahn drive round in a massive diesel RangeRover that uses three times as much fuel as my diesel van if he cares about air quality? I guess you can add his half a million air miles he's clocked up since he was elected in 2016 too, while he says that he wants to reduce flights into London.

Reactions: Tony1951

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I live forty miles from the nearest large city.
you are then much less affected by pollution.
I live in a city, am a lot more affected by traffice fumes, noise and litter.
I believe we owe it to the next generations to make our cities as clean as our countryside.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

thats our power station up the road from me it burns rubbish just make sure when im dead i go in the brown bin on a Tuesday :p

• :D
D

Deleted member 16246

you are then much less affected by pollution.
I live in a city, am a lot more affected by traffice fumes, noise and litter.
I believe we owe it to the next generations to make our cities as clean as our countryside.
The only way to do that is to get rid of about 75% of the population.

1951 (when I was born) UK population 50 million

1995 UK population 57 million

2024 UK population 68 million

But wait - these figures according to the waste water industry and the big food retailers are a vast under estimate. They agree that the REAL population of the UK is at least 77 million.

If you want a world clean of human made detritus, you need many fewer humans. This is a small island. It is not getting any bigger. Last year the NET gain in population from migration was 672,000. Not far off three quarters of a million MORE people here.

We are operating the kind of migration policy that the USA used to operate in the past. The difference being that this is a tiny crowded island (you allude to this in describing your journey) and the USA had a vast empty land mass to populate.

My journeys around here are traffic free. I get in the car, drive slowly down a 200 meter long lane and then the car is going at 55 to 60 miles an hour to my destination. I have managed to get 71 miles per gallon out of my new petrol car on my 41 mile journey to Newcastle and that includes perhaps 2 miles of urban driving at the other end with start stop driving.

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
whats the mpg @160mph, cant you put 4 turbos on it needs more boost :p

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Something that confuses me is why does Sadiq Kahn drive round in a massive diesel RangeRover that uses three times as much fuel as my diesel van if he cares about air quality? I guess you can add his half a million air miles he's clocked up since he was elected in 2016 too, while he says that he wants to reduce flights into London.
his Range Rover Sentinel car is his official bullet proof car. It's ulez compliant, like my neighbour's car . The exhaust system uses Adblue, is cleaner than my wife's petrol car. The gases go through an SCR with Adblue.
Not something he has paid for with his own money though. I suppose it has seen little use so fuel consumption is unimportant.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • :D

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If you want a world clean of human made detritus, you need many fewer humans. This is a small island. It is not getting any bigger. Last year the NET gain in population from migration was 672,000. Not far off three quarters of a million MORE people here.
if we need 672,000 immigrants then the solution for it is either those who are at work have to do more hours or wait longer for retirement or ask 762000 who are currently not working to go back to work. If we ask our politicians to make the choice for us and are not happy with their choice then whose fault is it?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ons figures show there are less than 1 million jobs going in the uk and near 5 million unemployed simple math dictates there are not enough jobs for the unemployed let alone the rubber ring invaders.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
ons figures show there are less than 1 million jobs going in the uk and near 5 million unemployed simple math dictates there are not enough jobs for the unemployed let alone the rubber ring invaders.
we have to accept to pay more for unskilled jobs. Where I am in France, the going rate is about 20 euros an hour or 40 euros if you book through an agency. Also, ban recruitment agencies to bring in immigrant workers.