Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sounds the like you are with Shell Flecc as my figures are the same.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
It's already here long before the end of the year:

My new price from 1st April is 29.484 pence per unit.

Plus a standing charge of 41.66 pence per day. The odd number endings are because they include the VAT.
Back in 2008, when feed-in tariff was introduced, solar PV received a payment of 42p/kWh, to offset the astronomical installation costs: typically £14,000 for a 4kW peak system.

Now 28p or more per kWh, and installation cost nearer £4,000 if you can find a company still running after feed- in tariff ended. EDIT: for clarity, retail cost 28p, no feed in tariff any more.

Secondhand 250W panels from upgrading at solar farms can cost as little as £50 these days, so just £800 for 4kWp of panels.

In many parts of the UK, that would generate 3,000kWh per year, value if all used rather than exported about £800.

We might see a UK solar industry reboot.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The customers currently on Octopus paying 5p kw/h have a bit of a shock coming to them as there fixed rates come to end during this year, some might see a 600% price increase.

I tried an Octopus quote and it is 3x what I currently pay per month.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The customers currently on Octopus paying 5p kw/h have a bit of a shock coming to them as there fixed rates come to end during this year, some might see a 600% price increase.
Especially anyone running a couple of fridge/freezers- your £68 a month is mad low!!!! I'm a big electricity user especially, because I grow tomatoes all year round under LED lights in my kitchen and have at least two PCs on at any one time elsewhere...I will not give up the instant gratification of at having sweet yummy fresh tomatoes available at any time of the year, within easy reach at home... but I'm paying £104 a month at the moment combined gas/electric - so I might have to sacrifice the tomato plants when prices skyrocket, and grow strawberries instead (they need less heat and light, especially Wild Strawberries). I'm not at all sure what Ebico's prices provided by Octopus will be, but it won't be cheap either. Ebico prices are distinct from Octopus.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some of the SC for elec at Octopus are over 200p per day :eek: .

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Some of the SC for elec at Octopus are over 200p per day :eek: .
I agree that Octopus prices are not at all attractive. I think there's an estimator on the Ebico website - if you switch to Ebico you'll be paying the entirety of my bill too. So thank you in advance. ;) Ebicos prices vary by area. And entering any details at all might be a complete waste of time: Buyer beware etc.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sounds the like you are with Shell Flecc as my figures are the same.
No it's Bulb, but the April prices will all be similar due to the same new high price cap they will be working to. Bulb UK is in fact in administration but is too big to be allowed to go bankrupt.

The administrators are trying to find who is big enough for it's many customers to be transferred to, so they may be aiming for Shell since you say the prices are the same.

A pity since Bulb gives superb service and is a genuine pleasure to deal with in every respect.

In fact it's only Bulb UK in trouble, the Bulbs in other countries are fine and continuing in business. Why is it that we so often make such a mess of things?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I was with Shell then didn't lock in for longer when my old tariff ended and moved to Pure Planet on an attractive rate, three months later they simply couldn't cope and went under so was transferred back to Shell.
Unfortunately selling off to private enterprise was another mistake and all the utilities should have remained under state control.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I was with Shell then didn't lock in for longer when my old tariff ended and moved to Pure Planet on an attractive rate, three months later they simply couldn't cope and went under so was transferred back to Shell.
Unfortunately selling off to private enterprise was another mistake and all the utilities should have remained under state control.
As the pain increasingly is felt by many, pressure to bring them back into state ownership will increase. Selling utilities off has been a disaster. It's not like I can shop around for the best water supplier deal.

• Agree
Reactions: robert44 and flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yep water supplier you are stuck with main one in your county area as for waste/drainage London and surrounding counties are TW.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Sneaky Sunak's assertion that we should just get used to sky high prices is pants! It's all Thatcher's fault, and the only solution is to bring all utilities back into State control, and that only looks expensive, but needn't be. Maybe public will to finally vote in a political party with the guts to do it, may eventually be unearthed in the coming years. These dumb placid bland centrist parties will never do it. There will certainly be enough financial pain felt.

Last edited:

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
i'm with Octopus, and as an EV owner ( don't think ebikes count, sorry, but you can try) I am on their GO tariff and get 4 hours overnight at 5p, 15p ish elsewhen. Yep, when it renews after 12 months it will be 7.5p cheap, and near 30p for the rest.. Mostly down to making electricity from expensive gas, and given the Russian situation gas is not going to get cheaper.. Better make electric from wind, solar, nuclear, or maybe even revisit tidal. We can't afford to keep burning gas anyway, though lots or oil and gas companies would like to pretend otherwise.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm on basic (no lock-in) "Ebico Standard July 2021"

19.07p kwh electricity, 23.89p/day Standing charge + VAT

Gas 3.64p/kWh, 22.71p/day Standing Charge + VAT

Of course, I expect it'll go up. Octopus supply energy to Ebico, also administration services, but initial contact is through Ebico. Their prices vary by area. Buyer beware etc...

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What price now for elec & gas kw/h prices come autumn, I think we could easily see 50p kw/h for elec and double figures for gas kw/h.
Putin has just f****d the world up, though we aren't reliant on R****a for our gas/elec we all are reliant on the global price.

• Agree

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Best be prepared for next winter with thermal layers, thick woollies and your hats & gloves.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What price now for elec & gas kw/h prices come autumn, I think we could easily see 50p kw/h for elec and double figures for gas kw/h.
Putin has just f****d the world up, though we aren't reliant on R****a for our gas/elec we all are reliant on the global price.
Ebico's prices have consistently remained low since 2008 when I first switched over, but I'm somewhat dreading the coming autumn... hoping that a "Not-for-profit" company like Ebico will be less focused on padding profits. As their admin is outsourced to Octopus, Ebico's running costs theoretically at least, should be low. Their negotiating power is by virtue of client numbers. Even if the Ruskies (why have you blanked out a word beginning with R? I suppose they could target people who have talked about them in a negative context online, and round them up for a post-invasion mass execution) say "Niet" to backing down and going back to being a poor capitalist charade shouting angrily about how their country is being strategically encroached upon by most of the world, upward energy price pressure will continue. How long does it take to dig a lot of geothermal power stations and why haven't they been dug and built already? Iceland will be laughing all the way to the bank (the country, not the shop).

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The cheapest way to heat a room, is to inhabit an Igloo (tent) and heat that smaller space instead - if I move myself and my computers into a 6 person walking height tent in say my living room, I might not even need an oil-filled radiator heater to maintain double figure temperatures... until the jet stream which keeps our isles relatively warm despite their close-ish proximity to the North Pole, moves permanently south (this could happen quite rapidly)... which is when I'll have finally enough ice to build a real igloo in my home out of the newly permanently frozen British landscape.

I think the seals around my double glazing panels need replacing - draughty double glazing is next to useless lol, they're failing the "Fit the best, Everest!" feather test.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
The cheapest way to heat a room, is to inhabit an Igloo (tent) and heat that smaller space instead - if I move myself and my computers into a 6 person walking height tent in say my living room, I might not even need an oil-filled radiator heater to maintain double figure temperatures... until the jet stream which keeps our isles relatively warm despite their close-ish proximity to the North Pole, moves permanently south (this could happen quite rapidly)... which is when I'll have finally enough ice to build a real igloo in my home out of the newly permanently frozen British landscape.

I think the seals around my double glazing panels need replacing - draughty double glazing is next to useless lol, they're failing the "Fit the best, Everest!" feather test.
Some years ago, I built a work room in the top floor of an old shop building I used to live in, with 300mm of Rockwool insulation in walls and ceiling, and 150mm in floor, large high spec secondhand double glazed window facing the ancient single glazed external window for light.

It was 3m square and 2.1m high inside, well draughtproofed, and heated entirely by me and my one laptop. It was a bit cool in the mornings, but 18 degrees by lunchtime. Add more computers and it would have been toasty.

Passivhaus is a real world standard to achieve something very close to that for real buildings.

Reactions: flecc and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Some energy companies don't appear to be suffering all that much

Last edited: