Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
He said they used oil based paint!
that's the point. Paints for floors and external surfaces, anti-UV etc must have polyurethane, are oil based. You can replace polyurethane with epoxy resin but it's not anymore ecofriendly. I accept it's a weird idea to paint the rock face though. They should really think harder.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
They should really think harder.
If you watch further, they were using cammo netting as well. I guess that has advantages and disadvantages too. The thing that tickled me was the painting grass green. Do you remember many years ago, when there was a drought with a hose pipe ban and the local authorities were using helicopters to look for green grass as a sign that the house owner was watering their lawn? Spraying paint or dye on the grass would have confounded them.

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Either the idea of catastrophic and imminent sea level rise is a scam or the world leaders are confident that they can solve the problem very quickly, so there's nothing to worry about.
the issue is the small window in time for those interested in fossil fuel consumption. Within the next hundred years, we would have the AI industrial revolution, thorium molten salt reactor and quite likely, nuclear fusion. Fossil oil burning will be a thing of the past but in the mean time, they (those with interest in oil, OPEC countries) have the money to delay renewables with severe consequences for the survival of our species.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
You and I would not be there to see the Maldives (average altitude/elevation of only 1.5m) much reduced or swallowed up by the waves (in about a century or less at current rate) but governments have to plan for the long term...
They must have heard you..
In the case of the Maldives, they had destroyed 70% of their mangroves for development..
The resulting coastal erosion was doing the damage, not sea levels.
Now they've got Dutch engineers in and will be reclaiming land to Expand the islands. (With diesel machinery, I think!)
The deadliest flood in England was 1953 in East anglia, thousands died there and in the Netherlands due to a huge tidal surge. Are they still flooded every year? No, why not, the sea is higher, yes?
:)

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
"We compared the Noaa version of the data they had collected from other countries with the original data, and it was different "! What's it called when an organisation alters data?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
In the case of the Maldives, they had destroyed 70% of their mangroves for development..
The resulting coastal erosion was doing the damage, not sea levels.
they may have done worse to their country than sea level but baring a micracle, their country will mostly disappear under the wave a century from now. The rise of sea level can't be stopped in that short time. I was a climate sceptic in the 80's, mainly from the basis that the earth receives something like 6,000 times more energy from the sun than what we burned but since, there are other factors that convinced me that we are destroying the planet so I think we have to do what we can to reverse the damage.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The deadliest flood in England was 1953 in East anglia, thousands died there and in the Netherlands due to a huge tidal surge. Are they still flooded every year? No, why not, the sea is higher, yes?
:)
You might as well argue why don't we get an October 1987 great storm felling millions of trees every year? These are exceptional events, what the Met Office like to call once in every 250 years. If they are correct East Anglia will get similarly flooded again in 2203. :(

However there is flooding there every year. While the Dutch prefer to build defences, we've used the cheaper option of deliberately breaking through the defences and opening up large tracts of former farmland for annual flooding, designating some as nature reserves, this to protect built up areas.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Estimates of how much it costs to capture a tonne of CO2 from the air vary widely, ranging from $100 to $1,000 (£72 to £720) per tonne. Oldham says that most figures are unduly pessimistic – he is confident that Climate Engineering can fix a tonne of carbon for as little as $94 (£68)

• Informative

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
"We compared the Noaa version of the data they had collected from other countries with the original data, and it was different "! What's it called when an organisation alters data?
Pointless questioning the historical surface temperature record. It has been reproduced many times using many different sets of stations using different methodologies by different groups and it always ends up with nearly identical answers. In fact the Cowtan and Way "independent" analysis showed slightly more warming than any of the mainstream data products

gmst-opcombo-1996-2016.jpg

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You might as well argue why don't we get an October 1987 great storm felling millions of trees every year? These are exceptional events, what the Met Office like to call once in every 250 years. If they are correct East Anglia will get similarly flooded again in 2203. :(

However there is flooding there every year. While the Dutch prefer to build defences, we've used the cheaper option of deliberately breaking through the defences and opening up large tracts of former farmland for annual flooding, designating some as nature reserves, this to protect built up areas.
Yes, but he made a good point. Unusual or not, the sea has never reached the same height as it did in 1963 in East Anglia. You'd expect that if it's rising a bit every year., the probability of getting the highest level increases, but probability seems to have been confounded. Also, talking heads are saying that climate change is making the weather more unstable, so, again, that should also increase the chance of an extreme event to cause the highest sea level.

As mentioned in one of those links above, various punters are noticing that many of the UK air temperature sensors have been moved from grassy areas to near buildings, roads and other concrete structures that would heat up the air around them, and another scientist involved in sea temperature measurement noticed that they changed the sensors to a different type, which read higher temperatures, but no allowance was made in the published data..

I'm not saying that there aren't rising seas or temperature, but I can see a lot of untrustworthy people bleating about it and aI have a lot of suspicion about the data collection methods and the way the data is reported. If it is what they say, there wouldn't be a need to use nefarious activities.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
There is still some uncertainty about the full volume of glaciers and ice caps on Earth, but if all of them were to melt, global sea level would rise approximately 70 meters (approximately 230 feet), flooding every coastal city on the planet.

The elevation of Southend On Sea is -45 ft / -14 m

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, but he made a good point. Unusual or not, the sea has never reached the same height as it did in 1963 in East Anglia. You'd expect that if it's rising a bit every year., the probability of getting the highest level increases, but probability seems to have been confounded.
I can't agree. The scale of that huge North Sea surge was a very rare exception, like the '87 storm and much longer ago the Thames freezing over enough for ice fairs on its surface. With climate change such freak events can become more frequent but will still be far apart and isolated.

The few millimetres a year sea level increase mentioned ealier will take a long period before it matches that freak 1953 surge, especially with the large flood relief areas introduced since.

The sea level is definitely rising, simply because the polar regions and tundra are losing ice. Equally the desert and dry equatorial regions are enlarging beyond any dispute.

Both are due to climate warming, regardless of whether caused by us or natural change.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Those graphs may well be accurate, but some are arging that all it is is a progress report of the program to move all the sensors to a warmer location.
It doesn't matter, you are being fed a line by people that know it doesn't matter. This has been done to death by climate sceptics. There are tens of thousands of temperature measuring stations across the world, you actually need only around 80 to do a global temperature reconstruction as long as you get the spatial weighting correct. It doesn't actually matter which 80 you choose , they can be good quality stations, bad quality stations, ones that haven't moved, only ones airports (which are quite carefully controlled) If you are interested have a look at the BEST work Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature, the sceptics, Jeffid and romanm. They all tried their own reconstructions accounting for any biases, I think they all showed a higher warming trend than the established analyses.

Here is one - satellite lower troposhere Vs surface temperature based on satellite measured temperatures
NASA-Satellites-2016-1.png

Reactions: flecc and Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the sun will explode and we will all die anyway the end :cool:

• :D
Reactions: MikelBikel

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Here's a bit of a problem that I have with all this that makes me extremely suspicious. See if you can explain it. It's a sort of magic trick that seems to contravene physics and could be a clue to free energy because it implies that heat can travel up a heat gradient.

Type into Google or any search engine " UK is warming twice as fast as the rest of the world" or Britain is warming faster than average" and you'll see it's true, so we should be worried. Now repeat for Africa, then Australia, then Sweeden, then Brazil. You'll see that they're all warming faster than the rest of the world. What that means is that, like speed, heat is relative to the position you measure it. In other words, if you want UK to be cooler, you only have to measure the temperature in another country. It's like quantum entanglement, where you can instantly affect something anywhere else in space-time faster than the speed of light just by observation to make the quantum uncertainty field collapse. I should get the Nobel prize for this because I don't think anybody else has figured it out.

Reactions: MikelBikel