Prices of the electricity we use to charge

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
Could will be true, though an equally likely scenario is that we will have left it to the last minute and then suffer really extreme drastic measures to save ourselves. In that scenario there will be no mega rich kids of the future, we'll all be living impoverished lives with more than few hints of life having a medieval character.
Easter island always springs to mind.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
nothing done on either side will save the planet, it's too late the damage is done
Easter island always springs to mind.
But maybe not longer term.

The arctic tundra of Asia and North America is rapidly warming with the permafrost disappearing fast. That is a vast area capable of feeding billions. The problem is the big time gap between the increasing numbers of the starving peoples of Central America and sub-Saharan Africa migrating north now, and when the Arctic will be agriculturally developed. That time gap of several hundred years could greatly reduce the world population by starvation and other deprivations.

So an enforced two part solution, a huge reduction of the world population followed by plenty of food from the newly fertile north. That would give humanity a second chance to get its future right.

• Informative
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
we'll all be living impoverished lives with more than few hints of life having a medieval character.
I don't know what is worse, a frozen dystopia or a 21st century Medieval Britain with food imported on sail boats from the Arctic.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know what is worse, a frozen dystopia or a 21st century Medieval Britain with food imported on sail boats from the Arctic.
Well it is said variety is the spice of life !

Maybe we won't need the sailboats. To limit travel we could all be living in that newly warmed, fertile north where all the food is grown. To pack us all in we'd need to be in 200 to 300 storey tower blocks with solar powered lifts, or maybe with mid air walkway bridges to communicate between the blocks to reduce the up and down movement.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One thing for sure there will always be the haves and the have nots.
Pessimistically, sure.

But an optimist might say the haves and the have even more. Compared with the lives of our grandparents (or even parents in some cases) that is certainly true.

• Agree

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
haves and the have nots.
Indeed, I have now but will I still have, in a years time, I fear many think they have but most are a wage packet away from poverty, more over now considering the BoE will be aiming at lowering employment.

A middle aged friend on a good HGV wage & a spend thrift, working the max hours allowed recently found out his small business owning boss, is trying to sell his quarter million pound home to stump up cash to float the business after an accounting firm upped the bill 2 fold for tax, wages and credit provisions, so far the bank has allowed a temporary line of credit to meet their obligations, but that could and still might end up with 10 people out of work at the whim of the system (higher interest rates I assume). There could be various other factors & variables involved but that was the basic fundamentals. It goes to show.

I have chosen; medieval 21st century Britain after learning way back when they drank beer at breakfast & continued drinking throughout the day, I could dig that.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Indeed, I have now but will I still have, in a years time, I fear many think they have but most are a wage packet away from poverty
So very true, and why they suffer from recessions. If only they saved in the good times instead of blowing everything away as it arrives, they wouldn't even know a recession had occurred.

I have chosen; medieval 21st century Britain after learning way back when they drank beer at breakfast & continued drinking throughout the day, I could dig that.
It sounds ridiculous, but I actually remember that ! :)

It was wartime, remote in the countryside, when as kids we were marched out of the village school first thing and into the fields to help with the harvest. Working all day to 5 pm, the village older men scything the wheat, the older kids binding the sheaves and we younger ones stacking the stooks, we had a midday break for bread and cheese.

The men all drank beer but we kids had water. With horse and cart transport for some, the scene was so close to being medieval there really was little difference, showing how easily we could slip back several centuries.

Reactions: Croxden and PC2017

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
we burn rubbish to get our power and it is no cheaper and they should pay me for it if its going to get used as fuel lmfao

What is the cheapest way to be cremated?

The cheapest way to be cremated is to have a direct cremation, also known as 'cremation without ceremony' or 'unattended cremation'. A direct cremation is the cheapest cremation because there's no funeral service or ceremony before the cremation.

i can fit in that as id rather go up than down and be ground in to compost :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• :D
Reactions: flecc and PC2017

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Will the beer and electricity be at medieval prices?:p
As long as I don't have to pedal, get some solar panels in now I have a spare hub motor!

i can fit in that as id rather go up than down and be ground in to compost
With the amount of beer I have drank over the years, I would encourage to many slugs nothing would grow...

On a more practical note, does everyone have the Electricity Blackout PDF and Block letter just in case?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On a more practical note, does everyone have the Electricity Blackout PDF and Block letter just in case?
It will never be followed since it's complex shambles of a plan. It tells consumers nothing since we won't know the demand level on which the rota operates.

The plan we operated during the Arab oil crisis of the 1970s was simple, far better and easily understood, so I think if the cuts do become necessary commonsense will have prevailed by then.

• Agree

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Maybe guerney can adapt those poles to help increase passing distance?

• :D

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Pessimistically, sure.

But an optimist might say the haves and the have even more. Compared with the lives of our grandparents (or even parents in some cases) that is certainly true.
The difference between an optimist & a pessimist is.... experience.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Maybe guerney can adapt those poles to help increase passing distance?
Riders within 3m wide rod shells made of aerogel, carried by clenched teeth would do it.

Reactions: sjpt