Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That reminds me of what happens on amazon and eBay when suppliers run out of stock. They change the prices to something silly.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the world's first SMR has been installed last August. It is planned to supply 1 billion kWH a year, enough electricity for about 500,000 inhabitants of China's largest island.
It saves about 800,000 tonnes of CO2 a year.
That explains why RR shares went up so quickly since.

Looks like China is well ahead once again.

Let's hope RR, who are still only in the design stages, can match China's undoubted ability with nuclear power. I can't help thinking they'll find that more than a little tough to achieve, especially with so many other competitors too, some like the Chinese with previous nuclear power experience.

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
RR can do design work and get their reactors built in China.

• Agree

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Our council did a "investment" option to install solar panels on local schools, buy in started at £50 & a fair whack (three hundred thousand ish) was invested at 5% ROI (from memory) who pays the local school energy bills? Logic dictates local Council or GOV (cough Ponzi) .

However with a few councils filing section 114 &, of which some made "good intentions" investments in solar/renewables and other questionable "schemes" I passed, although I will keep an eye on the local press etc to see how this pans out over the next few years. I can't say there was enough due diligence and the terms where a little light imo. @Nealh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
RR can do design work and get their reactors built in China.
Possible, but to what point? An all Chinese one would probably be cheaper and perhaps better, given their extensive nuclear power experience.

It's on occasions like this that I think of trains, jet engines, hovercraft, first ever nuclear power station, all British firsts and businesses largely lost to others.

Failing to sufficiently exploit our advances is perhaps our most notable skill of recent centuries.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Tesla makes their cars in China and soon in Mexico and India, RR makes money on servicing so why not manufacture in China?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Tesla makes their cars in China and soon in Mexico and India, RR makes money on servicing so why not manufacture in China?
Nothing wrong intrinsically, but I question whether British SMRs are the right product, competing with and making alongside the market leader in their own back yard.

Would you make a British designed pedelec hub motor in Suzhou and then try to compete with it, or just buy one of Suzhou's Bafang motors instead?

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
SMR is the general concept for installation, maintenance and decommissioning. SMRs can bring production cost down to the level of wind and solar. I am pretty sure that companies like RR can bring a few good recipes to the party.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
SMR is the general concept for installation, maintenance and decommissioning. SMRs can bring production cost down to the level of wind and solar. I am pretty sure that companies like RR can bring a few good recipes to the party.
We'll see.

I still remember 1955 and the promise I listened to of nuclear electricity so cheap they wouldn't bother to bill anyone.

Now we have Hinckley Point and EDF guaranteed doubled going prices for everything it produces.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
China has production cost of its nuclear power at around 5.5 us cents per KWH. SMRs are supposed to keep production cost low so I have high hope that it'll be true.

Last edited:
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
China has production cost of its nuclear power at around 5.5 us cents per KWH. SMRs are supposed to keep production cost low so I have high hope that it'll be true.
That can't happen here, because of the greedy profiteering running rampant in our energy markets.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
For my chrissy present, I have bought in to a co-op share of Derril Water solar park.
My 3k investment buys 2880 kwh of leccy for 40 years, during that period should my life end then the remaining years left of the co-op share goes to an inheritor.
Derril Water if all goes to plan should be up and generating from late summer 2024, the farm is expected to have over 15,000 individuals/households having green solar supplied via a green energy supplier such as Octopus , Bulb, Co-op, M&S , etc,etc.
Sounds good, and I hope it works out. 2,880kWh would last me about 9 months. All going to plan, if Derril Water solar park gets built and becomes operational late summer 2024, you will have pre-paid all or part of your electricity bill for the next 40 years for £3,000? If enough individuals/households don't invest and they have to borrow to complete the project, might the promised 2,880kWh a year be reduced? Can they add costs? What protections are there for this sort of investment scheme? Will the government refund you if Derril Water solar park doesn't get built?

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
In other words, it was the usual nonsense from the anti e-car brigade. The battery for that car does not cost anything remotely like 60,000$.
It does indeed cost 60,000 Canadian dollars. Two separate customers provided documents and part number to show it. One of the customers, like you, didn't believe it, so she checked it with three different dealers and she contacted Hyundai head office to confirm, who also gave the same part number and price even though, at the same time, they said there was a mistake with the other guy.

Didn't you watch the video you linked? All the actual documents were there to view. This isn't the anti ev brigade. It's two loyal customers and Hyundai head office providing the info.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: robert44

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
For my chrissy present, I have bought in to a co-op share of Derril Water solar park.
My 3k investment buys 2880 kwh of leccy for 40 years, during that period should my life end then the remaining years left of the co-op share goes to an inheritor.
Derril Water if all goes to plan should be up and generating from late summer 2024, the farm is expected to have over 15,000 individuals/households having green solar supplied via a green energy supplier such as Octopus , Bulb, Co-op, M&S , etc,etc.
It sounds too good to be true. That's 115,000 units at 2.6p per unit. Are there any additional costs?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

depends where you are they can charge what they like same as bosch as can bus locked and without the software to pair it to the cars computer it wont work same as every other part connected to it and apple crap.

there wont be any classic electric cars unless the software is cracked and cheap diy replacement can be sourced.

bosch wont even sell bearings let alone a bms or motor controller and even if they did without the software to pair it there useless ;)

The battery itself is plug and play, requiring only a vehicle-level software update. All in, the replacement takes only 14 hours at a McLaren dealer and is covered by a new 6-year warranty. It comes at a price, however, and P1 owners who wish to secure the upgrade will have to cough up $156,700 including the supply and fitment of the cell, just a few grand shy of the price of a Porsche 911 GT3. The upgrades will be available to owners from July 2022.

now you know as well as me a batt of that size does not cost that much to make no where near but as it is a hyper car they can charge what they like as the ppl that buy these things dont care.

he has ripped out the hole hybrid system as the rnd and cost to fix it is not worth the hassle, plus will save a load of waight and make it one of the fastest p1s in the world, until the motor blows up :p

and other super cars that have fuel cells have to replaced every 5 years and will cost 100k. and to just look at it in a box in ur front room will cost 50k per year.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
would our (ergo the US) gov trust the tech enough to allow??
I think it would. The current SMR plan from RR does not mention cooperation with China but we know by experience that it would be inevitable. There are too many competitors vying for contracts, cooperation with other countries or companies is necessary. China has the production capability in Gen4 cores. They recently proved this in their helium cooling high pressure reactor.
If you source the core from China, you can build a new nuclear station in as little as 3 years.
RR can build the heat exchanger and the turbine.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: POLLY and PC2017

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sounds good, and I hope it works out. 2,880kWh would last me about 9 months. All going to plan, if Derril Water solar park gets built and becomes operational late summer 2024, you will have pre-paid all or part of your electricity bill for the next 40 years for £3,000? If enough individuals/households don't invest and they have to borrow to complete the project, might the promised 2,880kWh a year be reduced? Can they add costs? What protections are there for this sort of investment scheme? Will the government refund you if Derril Water solar park doesn't get built?
There is no FSCS protection it is an invetment punt so like any other, one only invests what they can afford to lose . The farms are co-op owned by the investors and managed by Ripple.
Big buisness and bank lending is part of the package, the more public involvement means less borrowing and interest re-payments. Derril Water is the third project and proposed connection to the grid is later next Summer/early Autumn.
Project #4 another solar farm has been delayed due to contracts talks with the national grid and agreeing capacity and connection issues. This project is a larger project then Derril Water.

Project #1 is a sole turbine in Wales with over 900 individuals owning and generating their electricity needs , I believe this has been in operation for about 18 months and returns have been good , some seeing a 30/40% return of investment via energy bills already.

Project #2 is a eight turbine venture in Scotland which is due to go live producing energy in early part of 2024, all turbines are up and in position. A venture owned by 5600 home owners.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It sounds too good to be true. That's 115,000 units at 2.6p per unit. Are there any additional costs?
No Dave , no additional costs a one off payment. One buys the amount of electric kwh to cover their usage or up to 120% of their predicted usage. All operating /management costs are taken from monies earned from the total Mega watts of energy the farms produce as there will be some over production of energy to cover these costs.
Typically the scheme allows a 3 bed home to buy 4100 kwh of power as this is deemed the upper /higher usage amount such a household would use but one can buy in up to a 7000kwh limit , above this 7000kwh limit an owner needs to show real world bill usage . 2700kwh is deemed the average household useage.
Average take up is approx. 3000kwh/£3100 (120%) investment for those not willing to shell out over twice/three times as much for roof top installation.

I have chosen the option as already stated , my E/W elevation isn't condusive to energy production though one can split the array to even out dayight usage in the sunny months . A re - roof would be prudent first as the the house is now some 70 odd years old. The cost likely to exceed 15k so ownership of a small part of a large project positioned in a prime sun spot and direction makes a bit more sense for me.
How much generation/returns I see will only be known in the years to come, once the farm goes live.

Last edited:
  • Informative