lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Oh dear. I like the way this guy talks, even though he's a bit smug.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Strange how after all the dozens of diesel bus fires with total burn outs in various bus designs, none was ever withdrawn from service. Electric vehicle hysteria again?

This e-bus in Wimbledon was an Optare Metrodecker, a model that has been in service for five years now and 84 of them have operated on 14 different routes. This is the first fire in one of this make and model while in service.

List of London's Optare Metrodeckers

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think they can happen, but it will mean a set back in time to very slow flight speeds, maybe 200 mph at most. Boring enough to be pleased thay can't fly very far. And just as we've moved away from any airliners with over two engines, it will be back to engines all along both wings!

Quaint.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Strange how after all the dozens of diesel bus fires with total burn outs in various bus designs, none was ever withdrawn from service. Electric vehicle hysteria again?

This e-bus in Wimbledon was an Optare Metrodecker, a model that has been in service for five years now and 84 of them have operated on 14 different routes. This is the first fire in one of this make and model while in service.

List of London's Optare Metrodeckers
A little birdie told me that some of the diesel vehicles that burst into flames sometimes turn out to be battery vehicles. Just saying!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A little birdie told me that some of the diesel vehicles that burst into flames sometimes turn out to be battery vehicles. Just saying!
And I've several times over a long period shown the photos proving that they were not. Many of them were from before our battery e-bus era anyway.

Regardless , we are going to EV buses only anyway, simply because we have to for multiple reasons, so protest and opposition is foolish and pointless. The latest news on climate change is proof enough of the necessity, and the thousands killed prematurely by pollution now, including proof of young children too, really leaves no other option.

As with all new tech having intrinsic risks, we'll find ways to make them safer and more reliable. We've achieved that with our hydrogen fuel cell buses and we'll get there with the lithium battery ones. It just takes time so needs some patience.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
A Dying StarEventually, the fuel of the sun - hydrogen - will run out. When this happens, the sun will begin to die. But don't worry, this should not happen for about 5 billion years. After the hydrogen runs out, there will be a period of 2-3 billion years whereby the sun will go through the phases of star death.

oh well hurry up its fkn -2 outside :eek:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
And I've several times over a long period shown the photos proving that they were not. Many of them were from before our battery e-bus era anyway.

Regardless , we are going to EV buses only anyway, simply because we have to for multiple reasons, so protest and opposition is foolish and pointless. The latest news on climate change is proof enough of the necessity, and the thousands killed prematurely by pollution now, including proof of young children too, really leaves no other option.

As with all new tech having intrinsic risks, we'll find ways to make them safer and more reliable. We've achieved that with our hydrogen fuel cell buses and we'll get there with the lithium battery ones. It just takes time so needs some patience.
Those ones had lithium 12v batteries in them - big ones.

• Informative
Reactions: MikelBikel

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Those ones had lithium 12v batteries in them - big ones.
they cost a fkn fortune as well :p

light bulbs cost more tho

bet you could get some good bush going with those and low powerd controllers :D

• :D

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
I think they can happen, but it will mean a set back in time to very slow flight speeds, maybe 200 mph at most. Boring enough to be pleased thay can't fly very far. And just as we've moved away from any airliners with over two engines, it will be back to engines all along both wings!

Quaint.

• Agree

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
cold days
It's cold toe weather again, and my toes are always cold even when my home is warm... so ....

...is powering this... (had to solder an inline blade fuse because I didn't have a fuse holder)

...which is inside a sleeping bag covered by this...

...covered by this, because that foiled mylar stuff is flimsy...

According to my new Neoteck DMM's thermocouple, it's nice and warm inside the sleeping bag...

My toes are bloody warm, feet sweaty until they dry out completely lol - this is actually an indoor test for winter post-gardening warm-up pre-cycle back from my off-grid garden; powered by my ebike battery.

Unsure if it'll be warm enough for 6 degrees C or whatever outdoors, so I'll pack a couple of hot water bottles and boiling hot water in Thermos flasks to fill them with, for added warming-up power before the 12 mile ride back.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Chinese Betavolt plans to start mass production of its atomic battery BV100 now.
It's based on nickel-63 which has a half life of 100 years, safe beta decay to copper, suitable for medical use.

Quote:

Betavolt says its batteries can meet the needs of long-lasting power supply in multiple scenarios such as aerospace, AI equipment, medical equipment, micro-electromechanical systems, advanced sensors, small drones and micro-robots. "If policies allow, atomic energy batteries can allow a mobile phone to never be charged, and drones that can only fly for 15 minutes can fly continuously," it said.
The first battery that the company plans to launch is the BV100, which it claims will be the world's first nuclear battery to be mass-produced. Measuring 15mm by 15mm and 5 mm thick, the battery can generate 100 microwatts, with a voltage of 3V. The company plans to launch a 1-watt battery in 2025.
Betavolt says its atomic energy battery is "absolutely safe, has no external radiation, and is suitable for use in medical devices such as pacemakers, artificial hearts, and cochleas in the human body". It adds: "Atomic energy batteries are environmentally friendly. After the decay period, the nickel-63 isotope as the radioactive source turns into a stable isotope of copper, which is non-radioactive and does not pose any threat or pollution to the environment."

• Informative
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Chinese Betavolt plans to start mass production of its atomic battery BV100 now.
It's based on nickel-63 which has a half life of 100 years, safe beta decay to copper, suitable for medical use.

Quote:

Betavolt says its batteries can meet the needs of long-lasting power supply in multiple scenarios such as aerospace, AI equipment, medical equipment, micro-electromechanical systems, advanced sensors, small drones and micro-robots. "If policies allow, atomic energy batteries can allow a mobile phone to never be charged, and drones that can only fly for 15 minutes can fly continuously," it said.
The first battery that the company plans to launch is the BV100, which it claims will be the world's first nuclear battery to be mass-produced. Measuring 15mm by 15mm and 5 mm thick, the battery can generate 100 microwatts, with a voltage of 3V. The company plans to launch a 1-watt battery in 2025.
Betavolt says its atomic energy battery is "absolutely safe, has no external radiation, and is suitable for use in medical devices such as pacemakers, artificial hearts, and cochleas in the human body". It adds: "Atomic energy batteries are environmentally friendly. After the decay period, the nickel-63 isotope as the radioactive source turns into a stable isotope of copper, which is non-radioactive and does not pose any threat or pollution to the environment."
Only 400,000 of them to have my Leaf nuclear powered!

Reactions: Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

just fkn build ur own car ffs :p

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Raynaud's?
No thanks I'm trying to give up. Just bad circulation, especially when blood sugar is low. I was prediabetic before losing over 3.5 stones, had very high blood pressure and inflammation markers, but not anymore according to my state certified quack... I don't do enough exercise, I'm no longer young, and have about 9lbs left to shed - this last bit is taking ages.

Right now my toes are well toasty. :) This is bagged electro heating is a keeper for sure, and not just for the garden - I haven't needed to burn money using my central heating for hours.

Is that on a Q plate?? Lmao
The front reminds me of the Aston Martin Lagonda.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC2017

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
"Global Boiling" disappeared, along with EV range. Are Batteries terminally damaged by low temperatures? No warranty at 0% batt! :-(
:cool:

• Dislike
Reactions: flecc