Prices of the electricity we use to charge

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
What annoys me is they send me a bill, and for the sake of talk we'll say the printout date on the bill is the 2nd of any month.
It seems to take 10 days, and sometimes more to arrive, so im receiving it through my door on the 12-14 of the same month. And it says i need to pay it by such and such, usually a fortnight later, so i've a fortnight to pay, or a month from the issue date and i should get longer, probably in the region of a month.
But with them delaying sending it i have less time.

If i dont pay at the specified time, a little after they send me a reminder. Fine no probs, it's up to me when exactly i pay, and usually timed when i get paid myself.

But here's the annoying bit. The reminder is issued say for the sake of talk on the whatever, and when it actually arrives, as in drops through my door is usually one to two days later.

I've phoned a couple of times to ask why the bill is a fortnight after its issue date upon actually arriving, and they give me a bunch of balarny about issue times, and weekends and even bank holidays.
But reminders only take a couple of days to arrive. So why the discrepancy ? Its like theyre rushing me to pay it. Leaving me only a couple of weeks before its due.

I wondered if its somewhere down the line they're going to try to fit a smart meter citing im always late paying it. 2 weeks, and sometimes less isnt always enough time, and many people are paid at a set time so hold paying any bills until they themselves are paid.
if you dont have a smart meter you have to give them a meter reading every month other wise it is estimated but i pay every month after i give them the reading.

i got till end of 2025 if it dont blow up first :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What annoys me is they send me a bill, and for the sake of talk we'll say the printout date on the bill is the 2nd of any month.
It seems to take 10 days, and sometimes more to arrive, so im receiving it through my door on the 12-14 of the same month. And it says i need to pay it by such and such, usually a fortnight later, so i've a fortnight to pay, or a month from the issue date and i should get longer, probably in the region of a month.
But with them delaying sending it i have less time.

If i dont pay at the specified time, a little after they send me a reminder. Fine no probs, it's up to me when exactly i pay, and usually timed when i get paid myself.

But here's the annoying bit. The reminder is issued say for the sake of talk on the whatever, and when it actually arrives, as in drops through my door is usually one to two days later.

I've phoned a couple of times to ask why the bill is a fortnight after its issue date upon actually arriving, and they give me a bunch of balarny about issue times, and weekends and even bank holidays.
But reminders only take a couple of days to arrive. So why the discrepancy ? Its like theyre rushing me to pay it. Leaving me only a couple of weeks before its due.

I wondered if its somewhere down the line they're going to try to fit a smart meter citing im always late paying it. 2 weeks, and sometimes less isnt always enough time, and many people are paid at a set time so hold paying any bills until they themselves are paid.
Sounds familiar - are you with British Gas? Do you pay by quarterly bill? I'd much prefer that. I defaulted to being one of their customers, after Ebico ended their partnership. Ebico then started a partnership with Robin Hood (quarterly bills), which went bust, after which I ended up moved to South Southern Electric (quarterly bills) , which Ebico ended working with... then Ebico started using Octopus as their supplier... that team up has recently ended, and now Octopus keeps lying to me miming with all it's arms. I've done my best to support Ebico since 2007, despite their teamups with all these bastards.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
well one persons house up the road has had to have the hole roof replaced as tiles were falling off and it was raining in there bed room and have only just put the panels back up in the last 2 months.

they have spent more on scaffolding than the house is worth and it is still there today money to burn

house 2 doors down i stuck my head in to there attic and can see daylight under the panels as tiles are falling in.

and another house over the road has a roof in the same condition as mine so there all fecked.

the council is a corporation and as that have no duty of care to there profit units. ie us.

they want to push all this green crap yet dont want to maintain it and the panels only have 10 years left now and out of service life if the house does not implode first or catch fire from a faulty inverter or maybe that was the plan in the first place :p

foi moon attack mode v1 ;)
Rally your neighbours! Go all Braveheart riding your Haibike and ATTACK!!!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Chinese buying gold is because property prices collapse in most parts of China. Chinese share market is also on the downward trend. It's been going on fin the last 3-4 years. China will have to side with Biden and let go of Putin.

Reactions: Tony1951
D

Deleted member 16246

China preparing for war..... Or is it just a common sense approach to provisioning the country when there is great instability in the Middle East?

I know things have ramped down between Iran and Israel, but you can be absolutely sure that one of the first things that would happen if Iran was under attack, is that they would shut the Persian Gulf through which 30% of the world's oil comes out to the rest of us. The Strait of Hormuz is 30 miles wide and could be stopped up by a nation like Iran which has a big drone making capacity.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Chinese buying gold is because property prices collapse in most parts of China. Chinese share market is also on the downward trend. It's been going on fin the last 3-4 years. China will have to side with Biden and let go of Putin.
The recent gold buying rush was not normal and hasn't been going on for 3 to 4 years. I've been investing in gold, so I've been following the market carefully.

My judgement is that many countries got spooked when USA threatened to seize Russian assets (dollars). The Russians would then seize their USA assets, and that would be the end of the dollar. Gold has started to sink back down a bit now, so it looks like USA have had second thoughts for now. Maybe the whole thing was a scam to manipulate the price so that they could all make a fortune.

Reactions: Woosh
D

Deleted member 16246

Maybe the whole thing was a scam to manipulate the price so that they could all make a fortune.
And yet, the DOJ in the USA are very fond of locking up British bankers for any hint of doing that. There are a surprising number of British people in US jails for such behaviour when it seems to me they didn't do much at all other than upset some big US financial interests. Some are in trouble for supposedly talking up the value of businesses that they sold to US conglomerates. I'd say those American buyers should have done proper due diligence before they bought the businesses and then had buyer's remorse, but no - the DOJ goes after the seller and the spineless UK government just sends the poor bug gers to one of the most hideous court and jail systems on the planet. I wish we had a government that would stand up for the people here rather than being America's poodle.

Reactions: flecc

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
And yet, the DOJ in the USA are very fond of locking up British bankers for any hint of doing that. There are a surprising number of British people in US jails for such behaviour when it seems to me they didn't do much at all other than upset some big US financial interests. Some are in trouble for supposedly talking up the value of businesses that they sold to US conglomerates. I'd say those American buyers should have done proper due diligence before they bought the businesses and then had buyer's remorse, but no - the DOJ goes after the seller and the spineless UK government just sends the poor bug gers to one of the most hideous court and jail systems on the planet. I wish we had a government that would stand up for the people here rather than being America's poodle.
Good point. Like everything, I believe that there's a lot more to these things than meet the eye. The guys with the power make the rules so that they can keep their power. If you break any rule in a way that doesn't threaten their power, they don't care, and they encourage you to break them: however, if you do anything against their agenda or anything that threatens their power, they'll use your transgressions against you. In other words, it's nothing to do with law and order, it's only about power, agendas and control.

To me, this was shown very clearly in the last Tommy Robinson trial. Of late, he's been supporting the agenda of those in power. Suddenly, in this trial, he was acquitted because the dates on the paperwork were wrong. Mysteriously, none of the footage from the cameras of the arresting officers was available. It got accidentally deleted, a camera became faulty and another was borrowed and the guy didn't know who from. Could it be because the footage of the arresting officers showed the original date on the paperwork?

In previous trials, the judges simply ignored all the evidence that showed that he was innocent, and without any jury finding him guilty, summarily sent him to jail. You have to find some way to rationalise the difference.

D

Deleted member 16246

I agreed with all of that right up until you got on to Yaxley Lennon.

Here's my take on him.

1. He is a belligerent b ugger. Fair enough, so am I.
2. He is appalled at the way some people from so called 'communities' have got away with horrible behaviour that we all know about, and also are driving a wedge between people here and stifling fair comment and free speech.

I don't like that word 'communities'. I think there is only one community - the British People and I have no time for any other one. That includes everybody here by the way not excluding anyone who came here more recently than 1066, which also includes about 25% of my own genes which came from Italy 130 years ago when my great grandparents on one side turned up here in 1895.

I share concerns on all of that stuff he goes on about.

3. Unfortunately for Yaxley Lennon, although he has a big following, he breaks the law and brings himself into disrepute by doing so. He has a history of dishonest dealings - undeniable - mortgage fraud is a crime and is easily proven, and it was. He has got involved in brawls in the street. He has a history as a football hooligan. None of this is irredeemable - many of us have hot headed problems in our youth and grow out of it - but it is his background which doesn't help him in being a messiah for the common man.

More seriously, he has also has repeatedly broken the law in relation to publicising details of persons who are on trial. By doing that, he could easily have caused those trials to be abandoned and could have allowed guilty men to walk free, since any lawyer could have claimed that the defendants could not get a fair trial.

Those non reporting laws are important. They are there so that juries are not tainted by stuff they hear and read outside the courtroom. Courts rightly protect the trial from untested assertions from outside. Once you are charged with an offence, no one - not the Times, or the Daily Mirror or any other reporter is allowed to comment publicly about the accusation. What can be said is very tightly controlled and the media know and understand that stuff. Y-L doesn't seem to. No supposed evidence (untested by cross examination) can be put into the public domain.

Yaxley Lennon has repeatedly broken this law by live streaming outside courts and revealing the identity of people who were on trial - filthy perverts as it turned out. On one occasion the issue he objected to was that their identities were being kept secret, so he revealed them in public. The problem was that they had more than one trial to face. This would have meant that the jury for the second trial would have known they were found guilty at the earlier one. You will know that in court, the jury are not told about your previous criminal history except in very special circumstances. It is kept hidden from them so they don't just think, 'Ah - he's wrong 'un. Bound to be guilty.'

He seems either not to understand why his one man crusade is a problem and illegal, or he doesn't care.

How about if those defendants were found guilty (rightly) and then the trial was challenged or overturned because defence lawyers claimed that jury members might have been influenced by his revelations? Do we want people like that walking free on a technicality?

So - I am not a fan of his and that isn't because I don't share some of his concerns, but because he behaves badly and is really more about pleasing his own following rather than the issues he is supposed to care about.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The recent gold buying rush was not normal and hasn't been going on for 3 to 4 years. I've been investing in gold, so I've been following the market carefully.

My judgement is that many countries got spooked when USA threatened to seize Russian assets (dollars). The Russians would then seize their USA assets, and that would be the end of the dollar. Gold has started to sink back down a bit now, so it looks like USA have had second thoughts for now. Maybe the whole thing was a scam to manipulate the price so that they could all make a fortune.
When America shut Russia out of the swift system, thus shutting them out of the international banking and trade system, they effectively weaponised the dollar. Other nations such as Saudi Arabia, China et al, saw that all their reserve holdings of dollars could be declared worthless if they upset the USofA. Saudi immeadiately made a deal with China to sell oil for Yuan, thus breaking the hegonomy of the petrodollar. China backed this offer with exchangability of yuan with gold, thus creating a loose gold standard.
America continues to create dollars out of thin air so devaluing the purchasing power of each pre-existing dollar. Meanwhile Russia, China and many other central banks have been on a dollar spending spree, swapping them for gold. It's not a conspiracy - they know that America (and the UK and Euro area) are in a debt tap of their own making. A trap because they have to print the money they need to pay the interest on the money they have printed. :oops::eek:o_O This is now going exponential.
So the apparent rising price of gold is actually demonstrating the decreasing value of the currency they are numerically valued in.
Personal ownership of gold is not an investment. It is a protection of buying power of ones meagre wealth built up over a bloody hard working life. Inflation is a silent tax on ones savings. A 2% inflation rate will rob you of 50% value of your savings within 20 years. Making saving for old age nigh on impossible. The current inflation rate is far far higher.
I bought my first ounce of gold in 2007 at £385/ounce. Today that same gold is £1800/ounce. This demonstrates the decline in purchasing power of sterling over just the last 17 years. It doesn't make me rich because an ounce of gold still only buys what an ounce of gold did.
Remember this is now going exponential - it is in it's acceleration phase. Think Weimar Germany but on an international scale.

Last edited:
  • Agree
D

Deleted member 16246

Earlier the comment was made that judges had ignored all the evidence that a certain party was innocent.

That is part of every trial I ever followed or sat in on (funny hobby of mine when I retired I went to certain trials and followed carefully the proceedings).

In every trial, the prosecution puts one set of evidence before the court and the defence usually put up another set of explanations, or different evidence. The whole process of the trial is to decide which set of evidence is more credible. Which one is proven beyond reasonable doubt. So - the fact that Y-L's account of what went on was dismissed, does not mean it was ignored. It means it was less believable than the alternative, or that it was irrelevant. For example, if he was tried for revealing names of defendants ina case where reporting restrictions were in force, it does not matter at all that he thought it was in the public interest for their identities to be made known. The only question would be; is it true that he revealed the names in a very public way. If he did, no other evidence can help him.

D

Deleted member 16246

When America shut Russia out of the swift system, thus shutting them out of the international banking and trade system, they effectively weaponised the dollar. Other nations such as Saudi Arabia, China et al, saw that all their reserve holdings of dollars could be declared worthless if they upset the USofA. Saudi immeadiately made a deal with China to sell oil for Yuan, thus breaking the hegonomy of the petrodollar. China backed this offer with exchangability of yuan with gold, thus creating a loose gold standard.
America continues to create dollars out of thin air so devaluing the purchasing power of each pre-existing dollar. Meanwhile Russia, China and many other central banks have been on a dollar spending spree, swapping them for gold. It's not a conspiracy - they know that America (and the UK and Euro area) are in a debt tap of their own making. A trap because they have to print the money they need to pay the interest on the money they have printed. :oops::eek:o_O This is now going exponential.
So the apparent rising price of gold is actually demonstrating the decreasing value of the currency they are numerically valued in.
Personal ownership of gold is not an investment. It is a protection of buying power of ones meagre wealth built up over a bloody hard working life. Inflation is a silent tax on ones savings. A 2% inflation rate will rob you of 50% value of your savings within 20 years. Making saving for old age nigh on impossible. The current inflation rate is far far higher.
I bought my first ounce of gold in 2007 at £385/ounce. Today that same gold is £1800/ounce. This demonstrates the decline in purchasing power of sterling over just the last 17 years. It doesn't make me rich because an ounce of gold still only buys what an ounce of gold did.
Remember this is now going exponential - it is in it's acceleration phase. Think Weimar Germany but on an international scale.
Very interesting that was.

One of the most iniquitous taxes in force I think is capital gains tax. Not only will it tax you on the actual gain in any REAL value your asset has achieved, it will certainly tax you on the fantasy value in pounds sterling added by inflation.

So I put £100,000 in the bank at 4% interest and gain give or take £4000 in a year in interest, but inflation was at 10%, so I actually lost £6000 in real terms - ie spending power, but I still have to pay tax on a good part of the £4000 interest.

Daylight robbery!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
look at the price of houses in the 1920s and how much gold you needed to buy that house and compare it with today.

a 5k house in the 20s or cash in the bank would be worth 250 dollars today and the gold half a million ;)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I agreed with all of that right up until you got on to Yaxley Lennon.

Here's my take on him.

1. He is a belligerent b ugger. Fair enough, so am I.
2. He is appalled at the way some people from so called 'communities' have got away with horrible behaviour that we all know about, and also are driving a wedge between people here and stifling fair comment and free speech.

I don't like that word 'communities'. I think there is only one community - the British People and I have no time for any other one. That includes everybody here by the way not excluding anyone who came here more recently than 1066, which also includes about 25% of my own genes which came from Italy 130 years ago when my great grandparents on one side turned up here in 1895.

I share concerns on all of that stuff he goes on about.

3. Unfortunately for Yaxley Lennon, although he has a big following, he breaks the law and brings himself into disrepute by doing so. He has a history of dishonest dealings - undeniable - mortgage fraud is a crime and is easily proven, and it was. He has got involved in brawls in the street. He has a history as a football hooligan. None of this is irredeemable - many of us have hot headed problems in our youth and grow out of it - but it is his background which doesn't help him in being a messiah for the common man.

More seriously, he has also has repeatedly broken the law in relation to publicising details of persons who are on trial. By doing that, he could easily have caused those trials to be abandoned and could have allowed guilty men to walk free, since any lawyer could have claimed that the defendants could not get a fair trial.

Those non reporting laws are important. They are there so that juries are not tainted by stuff they hear and read outside the courtroom. Courts rightly protect the trial from untested assertions from outside. Once you are charged with an offence, no one - not the Times, or the Daily Mirror or any other reporter is allowed to comment publicly about the accusation. What can be said is very tightly controlled and the media know and understand that stuff. Y-L doesn't seem to. No supposed evidence (untested by cross examination) can be put into the public domain.

Yaxley Lennon has repeatedly broken this law by live streaming outside courts and revealing the identity of people who were on trial - filthy perverts as it turned out. On one occasion the issue he objected to was that their identities were being kept secret, so he revealed them in public. The problem was that they had more than one trial to face. This would have meant that the jury for the second trial would have known they were found guilty at the earlier one. You will know that in court, the jury are not told about your previous criminal history except in very special circumstances. It is kept hidden from them so they don't just think, 'Ah - he's wrong 'un. Bound to be guilty.'

He seems either not to understand why his one man crusade is a problem and illegal, or he doesn't care.

How about if those defendants were found guilty (rightly) and then the trial was challenged or overturned because defence lawyers claimed that jury members might have been influenced by his revelations? Do we want people like that walking free on a technicality?

So - I am not a fan of his and that isn't because I don't share some of his concerns, but because he behaves badly and is really more about pleasing his own following rather than the issues he is supposed to care about.
When you study the details, you get a different picture, which is why I became interested in him.

Reactions: Tony1951

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
a 5k house in the 20s or cash in the bank would be worth 250 dollars today and the gold half a million
in the 1920s, an average house in London cost about £750.
A GBP was worth about 2.5USD, gold was worth 35USD an ounce.
if you owned a 5k house in the 1920s, that's about £12,500USD or 357 ounces of pur gold. The same amount of gold is 357 * 2160USD = $771k or £617k.
£5k in 1920 could buy you 6-7 houses, those houses would be now worth £5-£6 mils plus rental income in the last 100 years.
Gold is not a good long term investment.