Private E Scooters to be Legalised

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Cars, pedestrians, e-bikes, bikes, scooters, dual rider scooters, electric Lambretta-style scooters, Segways and horse-drawn carriages all going about their ways in harmony. I’ve said it before - its all about culture and mutual respect, not to mention a good network of bike lanes.
Sure, in a country where people can be trusted to share the pavement\road space with other users and ride safely, then its OK. And as suggested eleswhere, Amsterdam is an example of this.

But not in the UK, where lack of common sense and no respect for the law is the norm. Only just recently in part of the Partygate debate one UK Cabinet Minister was trying to persuade people that breaking Covid rules was no different to getting caught for speeding, i.e. breaking speed limits can considered normal behaviour.

So whilst eScooters might be OK in Seville or Amsterdam, they are not going to be so in the UK.

Reactions: Stan464

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It's not only escooters that ride dangerously through pedestrian areas; plenty of ebikes and regular bikes do so too.

• Agree
Reactions: UrbanPuma and flecc

RetiredAndRolling

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2019
RG24
Sure, in a country where people can be trusted to share the pavement\road space with other users and ride safely, then its OK. And as suggested eleswhere, Amsterdam is an example of this.

But not in the UK, where lack of common sense and no respect for the law is the norm. Only just recently in part of the Partygate debate one UK Cabinet Minister was trying to persuade people that breaking Covid rules was no different to getting caught for speeding, i.e. breaking speed limits can considered normal behaviour.

So whilst eScooters might be OK in Seville or Amsterdam, they are not going to be so in the UK.
I agree with all of this except for giving up on working towards a U.K. culture where all transport can work in harmony. A bit of initiative from government to kickstart such a change would be a very good thing. We have a long way to go so let’s start now.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
16" scooters aren't the norm, I certainly haven't seen one being used. They are all small wheeled jobs, though some do use a fat tyre.
France banned them from the capitals pavements following two deaths of pedestrians after being hit.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A 1000W scooter could tow much heavier trailers, than my 250W bbs01b converted bike can. In the unlikely event that the government make all escooters legal "In use" at under 15.5mph, irrespective of motor power (or some limit substantially higher than 250W - there are so many high powered models about, they must be a sizeable proportion of those in use, and too many for cops to seize) I might buy one, and try to adapt a trailer to attach. A 1000W escooter trailer tower would have to have fat tyres, deep treads, several gears, a hitching point or structure welded or bolted on, and probably at least three wheels?
Not so sure it would work very well esp with the low weight of a scooter, even on a bike the push and pull of a heavy weight towing is very noticeable at times. Not sure a scooter would have the brakes or stability to deal with doing so.

Ok for lightweight, I saw a guy in Brighton towing a canoe with a petrol skateboard.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
16" scooters aren't the norm, I certainly haven't seen one being used. They are all small wheeled jobs, though some do use a fat tyre.
France banned them from the capitals pavements following two deaths of pedestrians after being hit.
When I'm disguised as a pedestrian it's shocking when they whoosh fast and silently past you, invariably dressed as ninjas, at a moment when I might have wobble walked right into them.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Not so sure it would work very well esp with the low weight of a scooter, even on a bike the push and pull of a heavy weight towing is very noticeable at times. Not sure a scooter would have the brakes or stability to deal with doing so.

Ok for lightweight, I saw a guy in Brighton towing a canoe with a petrol skateboard.
I can't waito hear what Grant Shapps announces - if they remove motor power limits for escooters to be used under 15.5mph, without license and insurance etc. or limit motor power substantially higher than 250W, we may see them making themselves more useful: new cargo escooter designs featuring four bigger wheels, wider and more elevated bases, big heavy batteries, seats and hitching points - they'd essentially be very narrow, bodyless, slow electric cars or tiny narrow tractors, which anyone could "Drive". The highly likely 250W limit would be a bummer.

Some of those small petrol engines are a sneaky 49cc - I spotted a bicycle converted with one a couple of months ago, buzzing along the pavement.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can't waito hear what Grant Shapps announces - if they remove motor power limits for escooters to be used under 15.5mph, without license and insurance etc. or limit motor power substantially higher than 250W, we may see them making themselves more useful: new cargo escooter designs featuring four bigger wheels, wider and more elevated bases, big heavy batteries, seats and hitching points - they'd essentially be very narrow, bodyless, slow electric cars or tiny narrow tractors, which anyone could "Drive". The highly likely 250W limit would be a bummer.

Some of those small petrol engines are a sneaky 49cc - I spotted a bicycle converted with one a couple of months ago, buzzing along the pavement.
We already know what the government favours since they've already made that clear when they first introduce the trial. 350 watt limit and 12.5 mph speed limited to accord to Europe's 20 kph limit for these scooters.

The 15 mph limit was only for the trial to help out the American hire companies since their machines were already that.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Banks, payment processors and Equifax know who has bought escooters - the government could have an "Escooter amnesty" period, after which everyone who didn't come forward to have their escooters crushed, could be issued with fines and have three points etc. automatically added to their license. Further fines and points could be issued until the escooters were presented for crushing. The HMRC already have that data in their automatic tax-fraud detection systems (to harass the 99% with).

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007

I think 15.5mph limits is good, but if they removed other restrictions for eScooters, then I would campaign for legislation on eBikes with throttles to be reversed, as it would benefit those with disabilities and would make cycling inclusive for all.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think 15.5mph limits is good, but if they removed other restrictions for eScooters, then I would campaign for legislation on eBikes with throttles to be reversed, as it would benefit those with disabilities and would make cycling inclusive for all.
I'd like to see the speed limit increase to 15.5mph, for disability scooters on roads... at which point I might feign an injury to buy one, install a massive battery, and attach my bike trailer to it.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
May 10th is when Schwepps will be making his announcement - according to The Mail, there are 750,000 private e-scooters on the UK's pavements, sometimes roads. "900 collisions and 11 deaths" = 1 in 833 collisions, one in 68,181 deaths

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Plenty of comments here suggesting that electric scooters are not safe.
I think everyone can agree theyre not safe, especially at speed. Those little wheels seem ideal to go into a small pothole and stop dead.

I imagine as they go on, a subculture will develop, and start customizing them not only for increased speed, but changing the design of them too. Perhaps things like a larger wheel on front, twin axle rear, seating or big rear brake, luggage capabilities etc

for disability scooters on roads... at which point I might feign an injury to buy one, install a massive battery
Im envisioning this is you.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Does anyone know if the Transport Bill wil be delayed by Boris Johnson's departure? I'm hopeful that e-scooters will never be legalised.

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
If e-scooters become legal, does that mean twist and go 15mph throttles on e-bikes will probably become legal too?

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
If e-scooters become legal, does that mean twist and go 15mph throttles on e-bikes will probably become legal too?
Need to wait for the details of the supposed Act.

Its quite possible the supposed upcoming Transport Act will only be an enabling Act that specifies a type of vehicle\pedelec\escooter. So Parliament might not know, at the time of passing of the Act, what the intended detail is.

These meaningful details, such as throttles etc, may only become known some time later when a Minister decides to sign off secondary legislation such as a Statutory Intrument.

Last edited:

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
Need to wait for the details of the supposed Act.

Its quite possible the supposed upcoming Transport Act will only be an enabling Act that specifies a type of vehicle\pedelec\escooter. So Parliament might not know, at the time of passing of the Act, what the intended detail is.

These meaningful details, such as throttles etc, may only become known some time later when a Minister decides to sign off secondary legislation such as a Statutory Intrument.
I see. I'm very much hoping for a change in the law regarding throttles, as I struggle a lot with hill starts, or setting off quickly at the entry to roundabouts or crossroads.

Not to get off topic, but am I right in saying that 15mph throttles on DIY ebikes are also illegal, just as they are on store-bought bikes? What if some of the electric components of the conversion were manufactured before 2016 (perhaps meaning that grandfather rights could come into play)? I've read some posts on here that have implied that throttles on DIY conversions are legal, although its a bit confusing. This is of interest to me, as I've recently converted my mountain bike to electric. My bike has a throttle which I've currently deactivated.

Last edited: