Private E-Scooters to become legal in Ireland from Monday

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Basically like those in other EU countries, with 20 kph (12.5mph) speed limit.

The UK government, when introducing the trial, said they favoured doing the same if legalising them here.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What are the regulations re: lights? Escooters being lit like lighthouses is my preference, because I never see or hear these damned stealth ninja death missiles approaching, while I'm cycling or when disguised as a pedestrian, until after they've nearly killed me.

Last edited:

RollingChunder

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
What are the regulations re: lights? Escooters being lit like lighthouses is my preference, because I never see or hear these damned stealth ninja death machines approaching, while I'm cycling or when disguised as a pedestrian, until after they've nearly killed me.
E-scooters will have to be fitted with front and rear lights and two independent braking systems so that if one fails the other will still work.
They will not be required to have indicators but if they do, they must be amber.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
How bright? Lights I've seen on e-scooters thus far, have been near as dammit invisible dim tokens.

"It will be illegal to have a seat on an e-Scooter and for more than one person to travel on an e-Scooter. "

If the same laws were adopted here, I doubt it'd stop this family school run:

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
"Legal in public places", so it looks like they will be able to be used on pavements as in the rest of the EU, except Paris where the sensible city authority has banned them altogether now.

Here pavement riding won't be possible as the law stands, since e-scooters at present are motor vehicles requiring a driving licence.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
What are the regulations re: lights? Escooters being lit like lighthouses is my preference, because I never see or hear these damned stealth ninja death missiles approaching, while I'm cycling or when disguised as a pedestrian, until after they've nearly killed me.
This one has plenty of lights on it and should suit you.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This one has plenty of lights on it and should suit you.

I found one exactly like that dumped on the side of the road. I plan to live stream broadcast it's long grisly torture and dismemberment, until all escooters surrender:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/scavenging-escooter-found-apparently-dead-to-make-batteries.44723/

Are Dualtron's lights too puny for it's supposed speed? Octo, at least.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Which part of Ireland, Northern or the rest of Ireland?
The Republic of Ireland, the South. As an EU member they are clearly following the rest of the EU.

It's unlikely Stormont will make a decision for the North before our British e-scooter trial is concluded.

Reactions: UrbanPuma

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Great business opportunity, making all the existing, faster scoots illegitimate, sell a whole load more.
20kph stickers, quick reprogram, "bish bash bosh, loadsa money" :)

No stock, doh, they dropped off there, aren't they conveniently tipped off by their lobbyist? And why would there be customs duty in the "free movement of goods.." EUww?

Used to carry a little passenger on my kick scooter. Don't think I'd be able now. Left it outside shop once, w.london, nicked while we were inside. So, y, fold it up and take inside, or..zip, its gone!

Last edited:

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
The penalties are not that high (although scooters can be confiscated) so I suspect many will continue using what they already have e.g
Exceeding the maximum design speed €50,
Exceeding the maximum continuous rated power of the electric motor, or combination of electric motors €50,
Exceeding the dimensions provided for in that regulation €50 etc

PS Scooter riders are getting it easy (imo). Similar type offences with an 'e- bike' are more serious as they can be considered an 'e-moped' in certain situations (e.g. throttle with motor not cutting out when pedaling stops etc

What fines apply to e-mopeds?
All e-mopeds are classed as Mechanically Propelled Vehicles (MPVs)*, like a car or motorbike, and therefore the same penalty points and related fines apply.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Exceeding the maximum continuous rated power of the electric motor, or combination of electric motors €50,
That would cause every single ebiker and most scooters to have to pay the fine every time they used their vehicle. What does it mean? How will they measure it?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That would cause every single ebiker and most scooters to have to pay the fine every time they used their vehicle. What does it mean? How will they measure it?
I doubt they will measure it. Like us, they will go by what the makers label and seller says it is.