pro connect advice...

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Hi Keith,

As already suggested, A Wisper 905 sport, To which you could add a flat shaped carrier or pannier mounted AlienOcean Lithium battery. The Wisper battery lead is a simple IEC Europlug (kettle plug). The Alien battery could be fitted with a flying IEC eurosocket. When one battery becomes exhausted it would be easy to stop, and swap the power lead to the next battery. The Alien battery is £266 including charger. The Wisper 905 sport is £1266 delivered. Total cost would be £1532. This would give you a machine that could probably meet your demanding specification. ANY machine capable of the range and speed you require cannot possibly come cheaply.

The Wisper 905 is fitted with a very large chainring (53 teeth I think), This means even an old codger like me can pedal quite comfortably at 20 MPH with a reasonable cadence, I would further add, as other Wisper owners have found, when the machine is de-restricted It gives you an infinitely variable amount of assist, regulated by the throttle. I haven't had the chance yet to carry out range tests using an additional battery ( gardens wait for nobody!!). These tests should start later this week.

I agree entirely with the sentiments of other members, 43 miles is a helluva journey Keith. Several times a year I ride a round trip of 32 miles crosscountry. At the end of those jaunts I'm feeling pretty weary. Fair enough, the saddle soreness wears of before bedtime, but the tiredness spreads into the next day as well.

Any ways Keith, good luck with your quest for a long range bike.

Best wishes to you and yours

Bob

Addition: The Alien battery is already fitted with an IEC eurosocket. if the battery was fitted well forward on the carrier, the Wisper power lead might just reach.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
thank you blew it for you comments and ideas, as always every comment is appreciated and considered..

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Keith,

I am really unsure on how you could do this.

If you had a 16T sprocket, then you would have the speed, but not the range, and even if you had 2 batteries then you would be fully discharging them on each run, and I dont know how long they would last like that - you dont want to be buying 2 new batteries every 6 months!!!

If you had an 18T Sprocket you could probably expect to get 26 miles in high mode (I get more like 30 at the mo), which if your route does indeed have very long sections of flat without stopping, you could simply have in low mode and maybe get 40 at a steady 20 mph on the Pro-Connect with some light effort from you. But if the wind was against you, or your werent feeling the best, or it was raining, then you can expect a range drop in those conditions as that will effect you. So even with 2 batteries on an 18T Pro-Connect, and swapping them half way, most times you would have discharged them to upto 80%, but in the adverse conditions maybe to 100%.

If you did have 2 batteries on an 18T Pro-Connect, and aimed for maintaining 20mph, swapped at half way, it would still be enough exercise to know that you have exercised, you would definately feel that. 2 and a half hours of any exercise will be felt, and I am sure you will get bored with the trip too sooner or later unless its a good route.

In theory of course it should be possible to do that trip on one battery in low mode. I find its getting up hills, against the wind, getting back upto speed that causes me to not like the low mode.

I you are determined to do this, get the exercise, and have the capacity, then in my book it would be the Pro-Connect with 18T sprocket and 2 batteries and 2 chargers (one at each end), but thats not cheap Keith. Theres not much between the Agattu and the Pro-Connect at all, but there is a slight gap in efficiency which might make a difference on a trip like this (dunno tho).

John

Last edited:

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Keith,

I am really unsure on how you could do this.

If you had a 16T sprocket, then you would have the speed, but not the range, and even if you had 2 batteries then you would be fully discharging them on each run, and I dont know how long they would last like that - you dont want to be buying 2 new batteries every 6 months!!!

If you had an 18T Sprocket you could probably expect to get 26 miles in high mode (I get more like 30 at the mo), which if your route does indeed have very long sections of flat without stopping, you could simply have in low mode and maybe get 40 at a steady 20 mph on the Pro-Connect with some light effort from you. But if the wind was against you, or your werent feeling the best, or it was raining, then you can expect a range drop in those conditions as that will effect you. So even with 2 batteries on an 18T Pro-Connect, and swapping them half way, most times you would have discharged them to upto 80%, but in the adverse conditions maybe to 100%.

If you did have 2 batteries on an 18T Pro-Connect, and aimed for maintaining 20mph, swapped at half way, it would still be enough exercise to know that you have exercised, you would definately feel that. 2 and a half hours of any exercise will be felt, and I am sure you will get bored with the trip too sooner or later unless its a good route.

In theory of course it should be possible to do that trip on one battery in low mode. I find its getting up hills, against the wind, getting back upto speed that causes me to not like the low mode.

I you are determined to do this, get the exercise, and have the capacity, then in my book it would be the Pro-Connect with 18T sprocket and 2 batteries and 2 chargers (one at each end), but thats not cheap Keith. Theres not much between the Agattu and the Pro-Connect at all, but there is a slight gap in efficiency which might make a difference on a trip like this (dunno tho).

John

thanks for your thoughts john, if anything is mostly against me its the time of year, if i had this "oppertunity" 2 months ago it would have been the best time with light mornings as i am a light sleeper and more often then not up by 7am and a good time to travel, especially as my g/f is never up till 10am, well not often anyhow...now we are in september i am wondering if i have missed the window or at least a wider open one,.....i wish i could rent one for a week to get a good idea of whats possible...maybe getting unfit and fatter is not so bad..haha

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
The more I look at this, the more I think moped (scooter).

a long while ago i had a bad car crash and a few years later had two epileptic fits, that was 15 years ago but the minor problem i have is when i look left and then right i cant really remember what i look at on the left.:eek: .. so car/moped not really my cup of tea, a bike is ok as turning left is no problem, mostly when turning right i stop and look behind me befor crossing, oh and i remember now that if i look behind me when riding i tend to wobble real bad..lol.....so most of my routes tend to be...left turn...left turn...left turn....left turn...:cool: ...

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Keith after owning a quando and riding it mainly on the flat you may have been spoiled,i think you may be surprised at the extra effort you may have to put in yourself on other bikes,the panasonic bikes assist to 20mph with modifications, but the faster you go the less assistance you get,and the closer they become to a standard bike.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
If you have a car then I would buy a normal bike.
Drive some of the way and park and ride.
Park close to work initially and bike it.
Then park further away as your fitness grows.
It doesnt sound as though an ebike will fit your needs as it will be expensive and a very long commute.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Keith after owning a quando and riding it mainly on the flat you may have been spoiled,i think you may be surprised at the extra effort you may have to put in yourself on other bikes,the panasonic bikes assist to 20mph with modifications, but the faster you go the less assistance you get,and the closer they become to a standard bike.

you may be right paul, im thinking my best solution is to win the lottery, get a tandam and have a paid rider to do all the pedaling in front for me..;)

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
yes you are right about forcing myself to pedal instead of being lazy and power only, but if i have a speedy power only bike it will be the as when on my Quando, i could pedal at 12mph or power only at 15.5mph..hard to pedal on that basis isnt it, especially when you have a 9 mile journey.....or did when i used to use the train to doncaster and ride from there...
Keith,

I wonder if its something to do with the gearing on the Brompton/Quando. I agree that a choice of pedaling @ 12 mph -v- motoring @ 15mph makes no sense, but my Wisper 905SE simply doesn't behave like that. I haven't found any situation where pedelec pedaling isn't much faster than motor only.

One of the reasons I always pedal is because I find travelling by motor alone frustratingly slow compared to pedalling with motor assistance.

Regards,

Elephants

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One of the reasons I always pedal is because I find travelling by motor alone frustratingly slow compared to pedalling with motor assistance.

Regards,

Elephants
I think there's often a psychological element in this as well. I find motoring only at 15 mph seems slow and very boring, but when adding my pedalling it feels as though I'm making great progress.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I think there's often a psychological element in this as well. I find motoring only at 15 mph seems slow and very boring, but when adding my pedalling it feels as though I'm making great progress.
I'd agree with that, if I'm feeling lazy and coast along on the motor my journey takes about 5% longer than if I am pushing quite hard. It feels much faster with effort and is quite disappointing when I see it isn't.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
apart from the psychological side, which i can spell cos you wrote it, there is also the physical side that pushing yourself however slightly produces endorphins (may well be mispelled as no one wrote it first) which seem to work like a pedelec, the more you use your energy the more energy they give back,like these people who go to the gym every day, instead of coming out knackered they come running out full of energy and sometimes overpowering if you yourself are feeling run down...:eek:

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Keith,

I wonder if its something to do with the gearing on the Brompton/Quando. I agree that a choice of pedaling @ 12 mph -v- motoring @ 15mph makes no sense, but my Wisper 905SE simply doesn't behave like that. I haven't found any situation where pedelec pedaling isn't much faster than motor only.

Regards,

Elephants
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

also when you pedal you seem to be thinking and concentrateing more which passes the time much faster..after a while just power alone when you have seen all there is to see a dozen times befor it feels mundane and as much fun as sitting in the dentists chair, however i have to be honest and say last month when i had one pulled out i found that more interesting:eek:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Speed and pressure

I know this is slightly off thread, but tyre pressure is incredibly important when you are looking for the best performance out of your ebike. The Wisper 905's and current 705's need to be at 60 bar to get the best out of them, it also helps avoid punctures and spoke problems.

All the best David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Did I say Bars?

Obviously didn't have my breakfast this morning, need some brain food!!!

PLEASE don't blow your tyres up to 60 bars unless you want to cycle through those pearly gates! I meant PSI.

Thanks Blew It, I really did! :p

Best regards David