Pro Connect FULL REVIEW unedited.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi there,
Just to let you know I've placed FULL a review of the Pro Connect on my Blog Site.
I've not submitted this review in the usual forum site because I feel it would be considerbly edited/censored via this forum.

As I have always said from many moons ago, I feel this site has major control from its sponsors and therefore any degree of freedom of speech is limited within this site.

I hope some others well understand and follow my example in future.
I hope this places a more balanced view to others.

Regards Bob.

My review....... <link removed>

PS Has anyone seen the Bikeradar review of the Pro Connect yet!
Kalkhoff Pro Connect Review - BikeRadar

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the review Bob.

There's a couple of issues I'd like to raise which I hope you don't mind.

You mentioned battery life several times when you really meant range. Battery life really means the overall time that the battery lasts until it needs to be replaced, and some might misunderstand what you've written.

You mention the fitted Presta valves, but I think you mean Woods valves. Presta are the normal slim valves fitted to sports bikes, all bike pumps fitting those.

Kalkhoff cannot alter the low gearing problem, since it would lead to an illegal assist speed in top gear. This problem is common to all bike makes using the standard Panasonic unit in the UK and Europe.

I can't agree that this site is in the hands of it's sponsors, since I've posted some very harsh criticism of some of them at times without any interference from the administrator, despite attempts by those affected to get my entries deleted. As long as the criticism is fair and supported by the facts, there's no censorship.

Last edited:

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi Tony,
Thanks for reading the review and I see what you mean about the Battery life and woods valves. I just got mixed up about the valve.

My experience though on the 3rd part remains intact from my own personal experience.
I couldnt really see it getting onto the reviews part anyhow.
This way, I control the content.

You mentioned battery life several times when you really meant range. Battery life really means the overall time that the battery lasts until it needs to be replaced, and some might misunderstand what you've written.

You mention the fitted Presta valves, but I think you mean Woods valves. Presta are the normal slim valves fitted to sports bikes, all bike pumps fitting those.

Kalkhoff cannot alter the low gearing problem, since it would lead to an illegal assist speed in top gear. This problem is common to all bike makes using the standard Panasonic unit in the UK and Europe.

I can't agree that this site is in the hands of it's sponsors, since I've posted some very harsh criticism of some of them at times without any interference from the administrator, despite attempts by those affected to get my entries deleted. As long as the criticism is fair and supported by the facts, there's no censorship.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi again Tony,
Changes made.
Presta to woods.
Battery life to battery range.

Thanks again.
I'll hopefully start to get some blogs posts done on this site now about my bike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Tony,
Thanks for reading the review and I see what you mean about the Battery life and woods valves. I just got mixed up about the valve.

My experience though on the 3rd part remains intact from my own personal experience.
I couldnt really see it getting onto the reviews part anyhow.
This way, I control the content.
At 2484 words it would certainly need to be shortened Bob, and as you say, that wouldn't be in your control, so a personal website is best anyway.

oldseal

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 21, 2009
As a person looking at potentially buying either a wisper or kalkhoff I find this very interesting. I have read your report and it doesn't seem like a bad one, so why is it you feel you don't have freedom of speech? I mean it praises the bike in the area it is supposed to excel, ie. hillclimbing etc. And you state the obvious, that excess weight and prolonged climbs will reduce the range, but everyone knows this,it's simple physics I guess. From what I understand the gearing has to be low to ensure the bike doesn't exceed the 15mph limit too. It must be a good bike as you still have it after all :p . Is there anything else that I am missing here, as your forum post sounds a bit negative, but the actual blog seems quite positive about the bike, apart from having to wait and the price. I wouldn't have an issue with either of these issues, as it is described as the Rolls Royce of pedelecs, and you would have to wait quite a while and pay quite a bit for one of those! Please don't take this post the wrong way, I am new to all this and would apreciate the advice of anyone who actually owns the bikes I am looking at.

Brian-Lopes

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2008
I too am a little confused. Burncycle in an earlier post you said,

"Yearly spend before the bike was £1656.94.
Yearly spend should now be £619.14
Yearly saving from now on should be £1037.80

The Pro Connect will have payed for its self in 16 months.

I hope this helps anyone when deciding if these bikes are cost effective enough."

Yet only a few days later you post on your blog.....

"I really don’t think this bike is worth the money because to make the Pro Connect a great bike I had to let go of more extra cash."

The word contradiction springs to mind.......

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi Brian Lope

That is weird I was just replied to the money saving post, but did not see this.
Maybe its Mrs Burncycle having a whinge for having to use the car too much.

There she goes again.

Poor Burncycle

Thx

Bob

Last edited:

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
The handlebars are very comfortable compared to straight ones, though they have a tenancy to be very twitchy.
Hah, something I've noticed with the LaFree but never noted anywhere -- I certainly don't feel comfortable riding without hands on the handle bar, though I've done it a few times. You don't feel like you have much control -- just a bit better than a unicycle.

Of course the whole trick with range, going from a larger rear sprocket to a smaller as I did on my Lafree too -- you have to ride the same speed as you did before and avoid the high gears. :) Sort of defeats the purpose though.
But then it's no difference than me driving my car from vegas to San Diego at 55 mph one time and then 75mph the next and expecting to get the same gas milege. Just isn't going to happen.

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
Interesting review. It would make me think twice. The big thing about the pro connect is that its supposed to be a fast commuter bike, but it sounds like a very harsh ride typical of cheap aluminium flat bar bikes. Seems like the front forks and wheels need some upgrading to get a smoother ride. Which i had a suspicion about when i first saw it.

Does anyone even make steel forks these days? I swear the suspension craze is driven by shoddy aluminium frame bikes with bad forks. Steel bikes never needed it. Carbon fibre forks seem to be filling this niche now

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Nice review Burncycle. Pretty much confirms what I already thought about the ProConnect, and makes me happy that I have a more-comfortable Agattu. My one bit of nitpicking would be that you spelt Kalkhoff wrong just above the picture.

I've not submitted this review in the usual forum site because I feel it would be considerbly edited/censored via this forum.
I can honestly say that not a single one of my posts to this forum has ever been edited in any way except by myself. As far as I can tell this forum is totally impartial.

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
I can honestly say that not a single one of my posts to this forum has ever been edited in any way except by myself. As far as I can tell this forum is totally impartial.
Agreed.

RE: The review, "Woods" valves!?!? That is strange perhaps the German designers still think the UK is still back in the 70/80s when we were still using this UK type valve.

RE: The handle bars, I think Kalkhoff were going after a "hybrid" bicycle look and riser bars are pretty much the norm for such bikes, so I can't see this as being a problem.

RE: The range. This is of course common to all bikes and a standard marketing trick always quoting the best case rather than more typical cases. This is something I'd expect a good dealer to advise the customer on to ensure they got the right bike for the intended use.

RE: Your experience with 50 cycles. This really shouldn't be part of the review IMHO, it should be separate.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
interesting review - although I think with 50cycles currently being single suppliers of this machine that the consumer experience should be part of it as you can't exactly "shop around" as yet...

that said it all came across as a fair and honest assesment of the bike..

Are both the working temperatures you mention in Fahrenheit? I expect the top one (84) is but -4 would be about -20 Celsius - I know Northerners claim to be hardy but did you really go cycling in such weather? :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
RE: The review, "Woods" valves!?!? That is strange perhaps the German designers still think the UK is still back in the 70/80s when we were still using this UK type valve..
The Woods/Dunlop valves are still common and popular in parts of the continent, particularly the low countries and Germany, and they are also widely use in the third world. The rubber sleeve type in particular have simplicity and easy repair in their favour, though the ball valve variant loses that advantage.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi all, Lots of questions to answer here!

Brian-Lopes.
Despite the legal issues with ebikes, I just wanted to comment on the performance of the bike in question when riding. Not the legal situation on the whole with ebikes. Anyone who has not ridden an ebike may expect fantastic performance from these. That is not always the outcome with these bikes. They really come into their own up hills and they can disappint some on the flat.
I dont feel I am contradicting my self regarding the value for money.
I just commented on the bike as a product alone, not the overall outcomes of owning one.
If a cyclist were to use the bike for weekend rambles for an hour, they would probaly never see a full return on the bike for their money.
Though at the end of the day it should be the pleasure the bike gives you.
But again I commented on the bike as a product and was it worth its money.
I still dont think it is worth the money.
I have had to make the bike produce a return by riding it day in, day out to work, in all weathers for the last 6 months.

Wotwashere.
You post has again been reported to the administrator for harrasement.

Essexman.
Let me assure you that after a Agattu seatpost for £25, the Pro Connects ride improves leaps and bounds. The bike does not need anything else in my opinion. As I said Kalkhoff really should have weight saved in other area's because it gives such a harsh ride.

Fecn.
Well spotted. Corrected Now!

Torrent99.
I dont see the handlebars as a problem, it just wont sell them on the whole to the more mainstream poeple.

My review of the UK supplier was, in my opinion crucial.
The biggest thing that is still holding back the ebike market is the quality of the suppliers.
e.g Alpha Romero cars are noted for being some of the best cars you can buy for the money , though they also have one of the worst dealer support networks in the UK. This stops most people buying them just for that reason.

People should be aware of the quality of the supplier they are dealing with.
The product alone is not enough.

My review wasn't all negative. But the company has alot to learn from this years fiasco.

I hope this answers all your questions.
If it doesn't then get back to me.

Regards Bob.

Last edited:

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
The Woods/Dunlop valves are still common and popular in parts of the continent, particularly the low countries and Germany, and they are also widely use in the third world. The rubber sleeve type in particular have simplicity and easy repair in their favour, though the ball valve variant loses that advantage.
Interesting I didn't know that. I quite like them myself, they're certainly easier to use than presta. The only problem with them I think is the requirement for the pump attachment tube, which always seemed to get lost or split at the critical moment. I also liked the fact that you could replace them more readily than other types.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Just to note.
I have edited my Blog regarding the review of the Kalkhoff Pro Connect.
50cycles felt it was an unfair review of their situation earlier last year.

I was happy to do this for them.

Regards Bob.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Hi Bob,
Thank you for a very interesting review of the Pro Connect. Good to see that the battery is holding out!

I am a little confused though as I feel that the details of the review contradict your overall conclusion. Also, I thought the Agattu was the Rolls Royce and the Pro connect was the Ferarri;) . I also agree with other members that commnets on 50C customer service should be separated from the technical review.

Finally, I would just like to add that my posts, thoughts, ramblings and reviews have never been censored by the forum. In my mind there is no bias and if there was I would not contribute.

BW
musicbooks

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Well to me ebikes dont really draw any conclusions.
If they did, everyone would own one.
They are a strange mix of different things.
not a bike or a car or anything.
Therefore the review seems like many parts brought together.
Does anyone agree?

Hi Bob,
Thank you for a very interesting review of the Pro Connect. Good to see that the battery is holding out!

I am a little confused though as I feel that the details of the review contradict your overall conclusion. Also, I thought the Agattu was the Rolls Royce and the Pro connect was the Ferarri;) . I also agree with other members that commnets on 50C customer service should be separated from the technical review.

Finally, I would just like to add that my posts, thoughts, ramblings and reviews have never been censored by the forum. In my mind there is no bias and if there was I would not contribute.

BW
musicbooks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They are a strange mix of different things.
not a bike or a car or anything.
Therefore the review seems like many parts brought together.
Does anyone agree?
There's a lot of truth in that Bob, and it's why so many have difficulty in choosing one, where they have little difficulty in choosing a car.

E-bikes are full of contradictory factors, partly due to them having so many configurations due to lack of an agreed formula for designing them.

Of course much of this is due to the owner playing a very much larger part in the performance than in any other vehicle, so that alone introduces numerous variants in design and desirability.