Pro Connect FULL REVIEW unedited.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I also agree with other members that commnets on 50C customer service should be separated from the technical review.
Hi Musicbooks

I think the Kalkhoff brand is unique because you can't buy their bikes from anywhere else other than 50C. So, to my mind, customer service is central to the ownership experience of a Kalkhoff and if I were a potential buyer, I would want to know about the sort of experiences the Burncycle has had.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Unless you two have 'history' was his post really serious enough to be reported to the administrator for harrasement.

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I have had a Pro Connect since last July.

Yes I had to wait for it because it was advertised months before it arrived in this country but it was worth the wait. My previous ebike was the 'classic ebike' the Giant Lafree Twist ST, and the Pro Connect is better in many ways i.e. great looks, much better easy maintenance brakes, less weight, range better.

The ride does need to be improved by adding a sprung seat post which is easy enough to do and makes a much better ride.

I changed the rear sprocket to a 16T which means my legs don't have to go like the clappers when going at speed down a hill.

I had one of the dodgy batteries but 50 Cycles replaced it immediately and they have been quick to reply to my emails about the occassional question I had about the bike.

The only gripe I have now is the latest price. I was considering getting a second bike as a back-up but may have to rethink unless they put a special offer on with a good discount :)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I think it was something that posted by a person wotwozere a short while ago.

It's still on the thread.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
i think it was an interesting and informative review with lots of pros and cons about the bike When you are spending that much money you really need to know everthing.
As regards the service you received both before and after i think that it also very important.It actually shows that once you got the bike you actually received the service that you should get and also points out the mistakes made pre delivery. Hopefully 50c have taken a long hard look at what went wrong and will put it right for future deliveries.
The buying experience should be positive from first contact to back up.I think everybody will have learnt from the experience.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Bob,

you have the nerve to call our integrity into question, but yet you are happy to then use the site in order to promote a link to your own ?

Any posts that are edited/removed are done so into order to limit any potential for libel, after all it is Richard and I who are liable for what you or any members say. There is no conspiracy to ensure advertisers get an easy ride.

This is a privately owned site and you do not have a right to say what you like. We are pretty lenient with what is said on here but at the end of the day, you abide by our terms!

I am not going to get into a discussion about this so this ends here and now.

Hi there,
Just to let you know I've placed FULL a review of the Pro Connect on my Blog Site.
I've not submitted this review in the usual forum site because I feel it would be considerbly edited/censored via this forum.

As I have always said from many moons ago, I feel this site has major control from its sponsors and therefore any degree of freedom of speech is limited within this site.

I hope some others well understand and follow my example in future.
I hope this places a more balanced view to others.

Regards Bob.

swinnerton

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
There seems to be a considerable ammount of bad feeling being expressed with vague accusations ,apparent axe grinding and frankly offensive comments.
Have read the FULL REVIEW and whilst I might disagree with some of the comments it is written as a subjective evaluation and is not some sort of definitive tablet of stone.
For our part my wife and I are recently retired and bought Pro Connects as fun bikes for enjoyment and as such are not too concerned about running costs /payback time and so on.
We have had some problems with both chargers and batteries being replaced.I have also had to replace the rear wheel and hub assembly on my bike after a French velo " expert " attempted to tighten the spokes.
50 cycles have provided excellent after sales service and we have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone looking for an e bike.
Reading a review is all very well but not a substitute for trying a few different bikes and talking to as many owners as possible.
Regards
Gerry

Intex

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2008
Thank you for the post, any information I can obtain on the Kalkoffs is much appreciated, as we have no dealers in the U.S.

I am awaiting delivery on a ProConnect-S, and wonder how much of this review pertains to the "S" model? I am not sure what the handlebat will be like, nor the seatpost, and am not sure how the new derailleur/gearing will solve some of the problems that were cited.

My biggest concern now is the seat! If the new seat is as bad as the old seat has been portrayed, I will have to find an alternative as well.

Looking forward to the "S" model, now going on 4 months of wait list.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thank you for the post, any information I can obtain on the Kalkoffs is much appreciated, as we have no dealers in the U.S.

I am awaiting delivery on a ProConnect-S, and wonder how much of this review pertains to the "S" model? I am not sure what the handlebat will be like, nor the seatpost, and am not sure how the new derailleur/gearing will solve some of the problems that were cited.

My biggest concern now is the seat! If the new seat is as bad as the old seat has been portrayed, I will have to find an alternative as well.

Looking forward to the "S" model, now going on 4 months of wait list.
The handlebars on the S model are straighter and more sporting in style.

The derailleur on the S has a full gear range adequate for up to about 28 mph. It doesn't have the low gearing problem since it isn't geared down to comply with any laws like the standard Pro Connect.

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
Why would I pay £1495 to have mud slung in my face from the front wheel and crap sprayed up my back from the rear wheel?

Rod

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why would I pay £1495 to have mud slung in my face from the front wheel and crap sprayed up my back from the rear wheel?

Rod
When a mountain bike from Halfords can do it so much better for under £200. ;) :D

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Im just looking back to my start post in this thread.
I can see that my link has been removed in my post.

Other post with personal website links in the forum remain intact and unremoved.

Please note.

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Im just looking back to my start post in this thread.
I can see that my link has been removed in my post.
Yes I noticed that and thought that you had done it. Why has the link to your review of the Pro Connect been removed? As you say links to pages made under different circumstances seem to remain intact.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Yep.
But never mind.
I aint gonna argue about it.
Its a waste of finger excercise on the keyboard.

Just to note I try to take my bike around the Ladybower into castleton and through to hathersage.
Have you taken your bike up Winnat's pass yet.
If so, how did it cope it that steep one?

Yes I noticed that and thought that you had done it. Why has the link to your review of the Pro Connect been removed? As you say links to pages made under different circumstances seem to remain intact.

Last edited:

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
I stuck my x-6 review up and the criticisms I made remain unedited.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Just to note I try to take my bike around the Ladybower into castleton and through to hathersage.
Have you taken your bike up Winnat's pass yet.
If so, how did it cope it that steep one?
No, I’ve not ventured that far from home yet, as I don’t have a cycle carrier for the car and it won’t have the range to get there and back on one battery. My Pro C is just for commuting and I use it as a real workhorse. I think it would cope with Winnat’s Pass OK because I have been up hills just as steep but not as long.

I am going to save my review until the bike's first anniversary because when you initially take delivery, I tend to find that you turn a blind eye to the niggles. After I have lived with it a year and done about 3500 miles, it should be possible to give a balanced account of my thoughts.

I hope that your link was not removed because you didn’t say nice things 100% of the time. If every review was a happy sheet, it would devalue praise where it is due. I have not shared some of the bad experiences that you have, but you did back up your statements with evidence, so I don’t see what the problem is really. Having said that, the forum is not our train set so we will have to swallow a FO pill from time to time I suppose.