pro connect motor, and s model difference.

tiredlegs

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 13, 2010
Hi, i'm new to the forum. Had various electric bikes over two and half years.
powacycle windsor, too slow. synergie mistral, fast and cheap. wisper 905se, not as fast over journey to work as mistral, it's a full 5 mins slower. but the wisper is very much better built and has by far the better battery.

My question. Are the kalkhoff pro connect, and pro connect s motors exactly the same spec, or are the s models different internally, software or mechanically (beefed up). external i can see, hub v dérailleur. I would like to know because if its just external gearing the pro connect would be the better buy. I have 22 mile round trip to work. Tried searching site for answer but no luck.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'm surprised the Mistral was faster than the 905, I found it quite the opposite but that wasn't a long test. From what you put I'm guessing you don't pedal hard so a Panasonic motor may not be what you are looking for. I think Ezee have the most powerful motor and the Wisper 906 motor is faster than the 905 motor.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are differences. The cadence limiting isn't as restrictive, the power setting overall is higher and the high power mode has a larger step-up ratio, 1.5 times in place of the standard 1.3 on older models, now 2 times on the latest S models.

A standard Pro Connect will perform reasonably when higher geared, but short of the genuine thing and well short in high power mode.

tiredlegs

May 13, 2010
Thanks for answering my question. looks like the kalkhoff s model would be the best one. The wisper has the better hill climbing, though once max motor speed is reached you will not pedal past it without a great deal of effort. The mistral has less resistance at top motor speed allowing me to pedal past motor assist, it also reaches slightly faster down hill speed. But i still prefer the wisper it has a good build quality and feels like it will last years, The mistral for £520 is excellent value but will have a short life.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The hill climbing depends on the steepness and personal strength though. On the steepest hills the "drive through the bike gears" of a Panasonic system bike like the "S" has the advantage.

tiredlegs

May 13, 2010
kalkhoff pro connect s, frame size selection

Hi
Yesterday the 16th,i ordered the kalkhoff pro connect s 27 gear with 28 inch wheels . frame size 45cm my height is 5 feet 6 inches, inside leg 28 inches. Frame selection is not easy without actually sitting on the bike, has anyone of similar size bought a pro connect and selected a 45cm frame and found it fine. or gone for 49cm frame and have been happy with it. I will be fitting a sprung seat post to it.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Hi
Yesterday the 16th,i ordered the kalkhoff pro connect s 27 gear with 28 inch wheels . frame size 45cm my height is 5 feet 6 inches, inside leg 28 inches. Frame selection is not easy without actually sitting on the bike, has anyone of similar size bought a pro connect and selected a 45cm frame and found it fine. or gone for 49cm frame and have been happy with it. I will be fitting a sprung seat post to it.
The 45 cm / 28 inch wheel should be ideal for you - I have a 49cm with sprung seat post that suits me fine - 31 inch inside leg.

James

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
I have a 49cm bike with the Agattu style frame and find it a little bit big. I am 5' 8" with about 31" inside leg, so I think you have definitely gone for the right bike. Whether you can get a suspension post in there will probably depend on your riding style. If you want to be able to put a foot down while still seated you might have problems with the suspension post. I had to remove it on my bike.