Pro-Connect Review at 250 miles

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
I have put up a review of the Pro-Connect at 250 miles and would like to draw it to your attention to see if anyone else has seen a (small) problem I am encountering.

Basically, the battery indicator on the handlebars is now a bit twitchy. On a full charge, it will start off showing 3/3 lights. However, after sometime it will jump down to show only 1/3 lights (the battery indicator will still show 5/5 lights). After a bit more time, the handlebar indicator will correct itself and show 3/3 lights again. This can happen several times.

The problem is irritating because it also happens when the handlebar indicator (correctly) drops to 2/3 lights. At that level of charge, when it drops to 1/3, I don't know if it is a real drop or a spurious drop.

Has anyone seen this?

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I am now at 300 miles on my Pro-Connect. No problems so far apart from a faulty battery charger. I have ridden it in all sorts of weather and had several good soakings, but it has performed perfectly. 50 Cycles were very good about the charger. Gave me a new one straight away.

I wonder who the "fleet leader" is in terms of number of miles on their Pro-Connect? It would be interesting to know if any niggles common are becoming apparent.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Because the voltage drops being measured to indicate battery content are very small, these circuits have to be very sensitive and it seems yours is in a marginal situation. Battery mounted meters are very much more accurate (hence 5 LEDs there), but in general I tend to ignore handlebar meters due to these sort of errors.

On throttle bikes I always advise the throttle be shut off before checking the meter since the current drain to the motor distorts the voltage the meter is measuring. You may find it best when you want to check the meter to stop pedalling for a moment, cutting the motor, to ensure you get an stable reading.