Pro Connect tyre valves

Hansdawes

Just Joined
Jul 25, 2009
A word of warning to prospective purchasers of a Kalkhoff Pro Connect from 50cycles. I bought one of these excellent machines earlier in the year and have been very pleased with it.

Recently, although there was no real softening of the tyres, I decided to give them a "top-up", using my tried and trusted track pump. It was very disconcerting to discover that neither the Presta nor the Schrader adapter fitted the valve and my efforts merely resulted in a completely flat tyre.

When I contacted 50cycles I was advised that my pump did not fit because the valves on the Pro Connect were of the Woods type. These valves are virtually obsolete in this country. I personally have not come across them for about thirty years. The rather glib advice was to swap the (brand-new) inner tubes for Shrader or Presta ones. Eventually 50cycles were prevailed upon to send me a Woods/Schrader adapter.

I suppose I must regard myself as lucky that my experience occurred at home and not out on the road. Surely I cannot be alone in believing that 50cycles has a responsibility to alert its customers to this incompatibility? There is, however, no mention of this crucial detail on their website.

It is a nonsense that a machine in this price bracket should be supplied without an appropriate pump. 50cycles need to ensure that the machines they sell are suitably equipped for the British market.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Woods/Dunlop valves are still popular on the continent where the Kalkhoffs are made, and the rubber sleeve variant also popular in third world countries since it's so easy to repair.

We knew of this issue from the outset in 2007, but most owners just use the adapter or have changed to Schrader valve tubes.

The Kalkhoff Agattu is (or was) supplied with a small pump as you see here, clipped to the carrier, but I didn't know the Pro Connect wasn't:

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
is there an art to using the supplied pumps....couldn't get mine to do anything.....:confused:

Barry Heaven

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
I've had no problem pumping up the tyres on my Pro Connect Woods valves with the Presta setting on my pump.

Davall

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
Hi Hansdawes

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

If anyone of our customers cannot find an adapter we will send one out complimentary.

We have not really found this to be a problem over the past 2 years and have only sent two out in total.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your bike.

Best regards

Scott
Yes please. Punctured today after just 28 miles since new. Even if I can find a pump with Woods adaptor in my garage, it will probably have gone rotten, having last been used over 20 years ago!

Hansdawes

Just Joined
Jul 25, 2009
Thanks for all the interesting observations. I still maintain that the simplest solution is for Kalkhoff/50cycles to equip the machine with an appropriate pump (like the one illustrated in Flecc's post). We are, after all, talking about an otherwise well-specced bike retailing at £1795!

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Once you have tried to pump up a tyre with that pump you might have seconds thoughts - strictly for emergencies only!

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
My advice would be to swap them for Schrader valves, asap, no messing then.

John

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mine just punctured today, giving me a nice little 3 mile walk home pushing the Agattu.

Apart from that and the people pointing at my lights to tell me they're on (I know, I know, they won't turn off!) it was a pleasant ride :mad:

There appears to be nothing pointed or any mark on the interior or exterior of the tyre which woud have made the puncture, which is on the side of the inner tube near the valve. Very odd. Anyway, these puncture protected things don't seem very effective. I've ridden my other bike for ages with no puncture at all on ordinary tyres.

I'll get a new tube tomorrow - if I get a Presta, will the supplied pump fit? I'll use my foot pump normally.... but in an emergency I might need it.

Is there any consensus about puncture prevention or on the road repairs?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd go for Schrader valve tubes since the pumps for them are so universal, ignoring any supplied Presta pump. In any case, the rim hole is Schrader size so a Presta valve tube would need a washer over the thin valve to support the tube and stop it blowing through.

The best defence against punctures is to change to Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, expensive but very effective. Then you'll very rarely need to repair a puncture on road. All I've suffered in five years of using Marathon Plus tyres is one slow puncture which got me home anyway, and that was my fault for riding over a pile of blackthorn cuttings on a cyclepath.

Last edited:

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'll do that. Looking at the narrowness of the rim, I'd assumed that it would have to be Presta.

I'll check out the tyres too. I wonder if they roll as easily as the standard City Continentals?

Next thing is to change the lighting system...this bike is getting expensive!

Davall

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
Lemmy, I don't like to trust a single rear lamp, because it could blow without you realising it, so I like to supplement it with a second standalone unit. I recently bought a backup pair of LED lamps, for front and rear, including batteries, for around a fiver for the pair from Tesco.

On these LED units, the batteries seem to last well, they are straightforward to fit and inexpensive, so this might be a possible solution for you.

You can even get wind-up LED bike lamps now, where you don't ever need batteries, but I don't care much for the idea myself. I like to have some warning when the power starts to fade, which a battery should give but I'm not sure a wind-up power source would.

PS. The front light of my Tesco pair was GREEN! Is this a new standard is anyone aware, or just a foul up in the factory? I've fitted it to one of my mountain bikes which I rarely use at night, but am concerned about a possible tug from the old bill!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's not much difference in rolling resistance Lemmy, the main difference is the the tyre structure of the MPs is a bit stiffer due to the liner layer:

Prices vary from the recommended of over £26, this company has them at only £19.99 for 700c size. I'd recommend the 38 width:

Marathon Plus at St Johns Cycles

FatMog

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2007
slight thread hijack!

My lovely new bike arrived today - being dutch it too has nominal '28 inch' wheels with woods valves.

It says on the tyres 37-622 28x1.40 and 700x35C. I plan to run it with the woods valves until I get punctures and/or lose patience with them, but I'll get some inner tubes in ready, with nice schrader valves. In my innocence I thought tyres only came in about 3 sizes but a spot of googling reveals the full horror, further compounded by the new bike's continental origins.

Anyhow, I'm hoping I've got my head round it, but would someone mind checking if

these

are the things? Thanks :)

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
My lovely new bike arrived today - being dutch it too has nominal '28 inch' wheels with woods valves.

It says on the tyres 37-622 28x1.40 and 700x35C. I plan to run it with the woods valves until I get punctures and/or lose patience with them, but I'll get some inner tubes in ready, with nice schrader valves. In my innocence I thought tyres only came in about 3 sizes but a spot of googling reveals the full horror, further compounded by the new bike's continental origins.

Anyhow, I'm hoping I've got my head round it, but would someone mind checking if

these

are the things? Thanks :)
Hi Fatmog

Exactly right with your selection of the AV17 tube to give you the Schrader car type of valve.

I have used the AV17's for 2,000+ miles on the Torq and another set for 2,000 miles+ on the Pro Connect, in both cases with Marathon Plus 38C tyres. No punctures yet (touch wood).

Anything fatter than 38C tyre and you would need the fatter AV19 tube. Your 35C tyres will be perfect with AV17.

James

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
The other thing that has served me well is the High Pressure polyeurethane rim tape from Schwalbe.

With rims that are described as 622 x 19 (probably the same width as yours), the 700C x 20 mm wide tape provides an excellent barrier and is thck enough to bridge across the spoke pockets inside the rim with very little deflection.

This comes as a continuous band the correct size for the wheel and needs stretching round like a rubber band before you fit the tube and tyre.

Line up the valve hole in rim and tape by sticking a BIC biro through the valve holes. Then check that the tape is sitting centrally all around the rim.

James