Pro Connect

artslim

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 24, 2008
Kalkhoff Pro Connect

I have received my Pro Connect (57 size) and went out for a ride. I found that it performs well on the road but as one other contributer mentioned you feel every bump. When I went onto the path around the marshes the ride was terrible, it was like riding over a cattle grid most of the way. Could the tyres be overinflated or are these Continental Contact Extra Light tyres for speed freaks or road racing. When I had my Yamaha XPC electric bike (Circa 2002) I used to bomb around the off road cycle paths and it was a really comfortable ride and as far as I can remember there were no suspension forks or seat post. Why is this so? Have Kalkoff deiberately made these bikes for masochists or for speed riders, if the latter then what is the point of the motor? I do not know what the tyre pressures should be so I would not know whether they are over inflated but they feel rock hard. Can anyone suggest a set of tyres that will fit my Pro Connect 57 frame that will give a comfortable ride with a good degree of puncture resistance. What I want is to be able to enjoy riding my bike in at least some degree of comfort. I did not buy the bike to get from A to B as fast as is possible and in as much discomfort as possible.As for the manual that you receive with the bike, there is no specification list at all.

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Artslim, this is/was a duplicate post. Think there was a bug or something, I see they've both taken several days to turn up as it's the 16th now and it's dated the 12th. Bet it was that Large Hadron Collider switch-on that did for it.

Last edited:

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
I think it's a maximum tyre pressure of 85psi for the OE on Pro Connect's - although don't quote me on that :)

Incidentally, for personal reasons, may I enquire: how tall are you?
- I'm 6' 2" and naturally feel drawn to the 60cm frame, the size all my current bikes are - yet was advised I'd be okay on the 57cm frame.

I posted a response to your request for comfortable tyres very late, (gone midnight), on here last night, (the 11th), clicked and off it floated into cyberspace, or some black hole, never to be seen again. However that's just as well, as ALL my wheel-sets are narrow section rims, the tyres that are suitable for my pushbikes may behave inadequately on the heavier Pro Connect. Besides even on my touring pushbikes, the largest tyre I had was a 32mm - yet those fitted as standard to the P/Connect way exceed that - and still you're not comfortable.

Be that as it may, one of my bikes is a folder sporting small 20" wheels and shod with 'Big Apple' tyres. On the folding-pushbike forum for my model it's a foregone conclusion evidenced by all who post there that the big BA's are the most comfortable upgrade for those who desire more comfort on their folders and they roll quite fast too. I notice they do the BA's in the 700c size too but have to report I have no experience of them on 700c wheels.

I was going to wax lyrical about latex, as in, versus butyl inner-tubes, but latex comes with steep compromises, which I am prepared to put up with, but most wouldn't; so I hope someone can advise on butyl tubes they've found comfortable. The best compromise (a hybrid if you please, half latex and half butyl were a revelation giving a Rolls Royce ride, the award winning Air-B's , but sadly are no longer made - shame, 'cos I'm down to me last pair :(

However, frame design and materials apart, there are two issues I have with the Pro Connect, that to me indicate a probable contribution to the 'harsh' ride you are experiencing.

First - and I've put my most powerful specs on and counted them - I'm amazed Kalkhoff have supplied the Pro Connect with 24 spoked wheels!

24 Spokes are racing category. Having that few on what is basically a commuter is a compromise that a) whilst it's true it builds a lighter wheel, it also delivers a harsher ride. ALL my wheel-sets are 36 spoked - bit of an overkill some might say, but I'm comfortable on them and I also notice the Aguttu comes supplied with 36 spoked wheels - Do Aguttu owners have 'harsh ride' issues I wonder? Besides which, the less spokes the less tolerant they are towards heavier riders. I haven't had any spoke breakages since I started cycling seriously in my twenties - I'm middle-aged now! But already I'm picking up the odd post on this forum of spoke problems with the Pro Connect.

Secondly and it's ooh as in a painful ooh - ooh just look at those 'straight' forks!

The trail and rake is pure racing category; again compromises involved - faster handling and more responsive, yes - but, and it's a big but, they are notorious for giving a 'firmer' ride. So why fit them to what is basically a recreational and commuting bike? No way is it a 'racer'. The Aguttu appears to fare no better - but again donning my most powerful specs there does appear to be is a slight but noticeable curve to the end of the fork, (and it does have shocks fitted to compensate).

I do hope those who have discovered more suitable tyres and tubes come forward with their findings and offer you the help you're looking for. Failing that you may have to consider a Thudbuster seatpost - far superior to those 'suspension' posts which have to overcome 'stiction' first, and then alter the leg to pedal dynamics, whereas the Thudbuster does nothing of the sort - it moves in two planes simultaneously whilst keeping your leg-to-pedal-distance constant throughout it's travel. Look out for those who post they have fitted a Thudbuster to the Pro Connect - it could make a huge difference.

Forks you are stuck with, but long term and, if and when, I buy a Pro Connect I shall be investigating fitting 36 spoked wheel-sets of my choice - although I'd be in trouble with the rear hubgear - more expensive to correct.

Last edited:

artslim

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 24, 2008
Pro Connect.

Hello Danny,
Thanks for your reply. I am 6' 3" tall and in my late sixties. Perhaps I bought the wrong model but I tried both the Aguttu and the Pro Connect and the latter felt great and rode extremely well on the road, that is why I plumped for the Connect. Looking at it, the bike looks really big but it is not too big for me, in fact I think it is just the right size. I have been in touch with 50 cycles and they have kindly let me exchange my seat and post for the Aguttu one which has suspension. As for the tyres, I think the Continentals that are on the bike are probably one of the best for punture resistance but appear to be a thinner tyre than I would like as although I do some road riding I do like to ride the cycle paths around the marshes and along the canals which I suppose is classed as off road. I think I will stick with the continentals until I know a bit more about what I want and what is on offer but what I have been reading on here it seems that a wider tyre will probably give a more cushioned ride but may be less puncture resistant.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Guys, I think the Pro Connect is not designed for off-road use AT ALL. I use the bike on road for commuting, and I average 16.5mph to and from work. In my view the Pro Connect is not a leisure or off-road bike in any way, its designed to be a fast commuter bike for those (like me) who carry a lot with them.

If you wanted a leisure version then realistically the Aggatu is the far better choice of the 2, but I don't know how that is off-road.

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree with John that the slightly heavier and more robust Agattu is the better choice off road, and in fact very good for that. Some Pro Connects until now have had 24 spoke wheels which are far from ideal off road, the Agattu's standard 36 spoke pattern being better for the job.

Overall the mid motor and battery positions insulating them from shock makes these bikes far more suitable for the rough than hub motors, and they have good ground clearance and excellent waterproofing too, both good for off-road.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Guys, I think the Pro Connect is not designed for off-road use AT ALL. I use the bike on road for commuting, and I average 16.5mph to and from work. In my view the Pro Connect is not a leisure or off-road bike in any way, its designed to be a fast commuter bike for those (like me) who carry a lot with them.

If you wanted a leisure version then realistically the Aggatu is the far better choice of the 2, but I don't know how that is off-road.

John
John
I am going to have to disagree, John, because I get a lot of pleasure out of using the ProConnect as a leisure bike.

I retired last year and would have enjoyed to commute (via country roads) to work if I had discovered ebiking earlier.

Today has been another good day on the bike. I enjoy 30-40 miles on a day like this.

I think it applies to many bikes that the design "out of the box" does not fit every different style of use. For example, I preferred a different saddle, but I enjoy developing a bike to suit me and what I use it for.

I also prefer maximum puncture resistance, and a little more resilience in the ride >> so Marathon Plus 700x38 suit me well.

The third change was the 19T sprocket which shifts the wide range of the 8 gear Shimano hub towards slightly higher speeds on the flat.

These 3 changes (plus a carrier bag with a second battery) make for a bike that I enjoy to ride for leisure.

I agree that offroad tracks need to be quite smooth for a bike without suspension, but that suits me.

I also get a lot of pleasure in using the bike in new areas, including abroad. Availability of parts can be important if a holiday is based around the bike. I think everyone who uses an ebike is aware that the electrical bits would be difficult to find, and that can also apply if the regular bike parts are not in wide usage. (Easy to get the relevant Shimano bits for the Torq, less easy for the ProConnect).

I have also learnt that the hardness of the ride on a bike is not just dependent on whether the bike has suspension. I built new wheels for my Torq 1 (solid forks), changing from thick spokes to thinner gauge spokes, and the harshness of the ride was greatly improved.

I am wanting to try this on the ProConnect at some point, using the same configuration of Mavic Rim, Alpine lll spokes and a 36 spoke Nexus hub.

James

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
2nd Battery

John
I am going to have to disagree, John, because I get a lot of pleasure out of using the ProConnect as a leisure bike.

I retired last year and would have enjoyed to commute (via country roads) to work if I had discovered ebiking earlier.

Today has been another good day on the bike. I enjoy 30-40 miles on a day like this.

I think it applies to many bikes that the design "out of the box" does not fit every different style of use. For example, I preferred a different saddle, but I enjoy developing a bike to suit me and what I use it for.

I also prefer maximum puncture resistance, and a little more resilience in the ride >> so Marathon Plus 700x38 suit me well.

The third change was the 19T sprocket which shifts the wide range of the 8 gear Shimano hub towards slightly higher speeds on the flat.

These 3 changes (plus a carrier bag with a second battery) make for a bike that I enjoy to ride for leisure.

I agree that offroad tracks need to be quite smooth for a bike without suspension, but that suits me.

I also get a lot of pleasure in using the bike in new areas, including abroad. Availability of parts can be important if a holiday is based around the bike. I think everyone who uses an ebike is aware that the electrical bits would be difficult to find, and that can also apply if the regular bike parts are not in wide usage. (Easy to get the relevant Shimano bits for the Torq, less easy for the ProConnect).

I have also learnt that the hardness of the ride on a bike is not just dependent on whether the bike has suspension. I built new wheels for my Torq 1 (solid forks), changing from thick spokes to thinner gauge spokes, and the harshness of the ride was greatly improved.

I am wanting to try this on the ProConnect at some point, using the same configuration of Mavic Rim, Alpine lll spokes and a 36 spoke Nexus hub.

James
Hello James

You have a second battery! Is this for your ProConnect? If so, I don't suppose you know anywhere where they are available for less than the £295 50cycles are charging?

Iain

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Hello James

You have a second battery! Is this for your ProConnect? If so, I don't suppose you know anywhere where they are available for less than the £295 50cycles are charging?

Iain
Iain
I purchased from 50cycles for the ProConnect at £295. I am not aware of any obvious alternatives, and of course the 2 year guarantee comes with it.

James

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
no probs James, although I have had bikes without suspension that are fine on country trails, but I would not put my Pro connect on many of them as you do feel every single bump.

John

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
2nd Battery

Iain
I purchased from 50cycles for the ProConnect at £295. I am not aware of any obvious alternatives, and of course the 2 year guarantee comes with it.

James

Hello James

Thanks for the reply, the 2 year guarantee is certainly worth while.

Iain

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's no other source than makers of bikes using this power unit, and most of those are dearer. The same battery from BikeTech who make the Flyer bikes is roughly £400.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
no probs James, although I have had bikes without suspension that are fine on country trails, but I would not put my Pro connect on many of them as you do feel every single bump.

John
It's very difficult to decide how wide the scope of usage should be in the original designer's mind. It probably hits the mark for the commuting bike without any alterations.

I have been thinking about Danny-K's comments on straight, unsprung forks being an unyielding design. Nonetheless, I enjoy the low weight of the bike with the aluminium frame and unsprung forks, which seem to be a strong design.

In looking at the variety of frames that are now prepared and fitted with the Panasonic drive, I am still drawn to the clean look of the ProConnect, and hopefully its strength.

If you were allowed the opportunity to start from this frame and fork, do you think the other bits of it could be developed for slightly rougher tracks, without switching to the Agattu frame and forks.

James

Last edited:

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
One other question.

I have not looked in detail at the bottom bracket of the Panasonic drive, knowing that it has sensors and what have you to sense the rider's effort.

How strong are these units for riders who like to get out of the saddle, either for unassisted climbs or to absorb some bumps and potholes on a track ?

James

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Very strong James, and I was very often out of the saddle on my Lafree in my very hilly area. The pedelec sensing is magnetic and not directly a part of the thrust pressure applied by the rider, and the pedal shaft is substantial.

I've seen the odd motor bearing failure in these units, but never any pedal shaft bearing problem.

Similarly the crankcase has large reserves of strength, and with the other reasons I've mentioned, I think it the best e-bike propulsion unit for off-road.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I think if I wanted to convert mine for a more off-road use, I'd definitely be looking at getting forks with a bend in them, it does make a difference to the feel, and I am not a fan of sus forks. I'd go for those Big Apple tyres too, very comfy. But as you say the frame is a very good design already, very clean.

John

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
On that note, does anyone know of a suitable fork replacement for these given the lugs needed, e.t.c.?