pro rider bike drum brakes

garysnooker

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2020
I have a problem with an excessive screeching noise from the rear brake when the brake is applied. It really is ear shattering! It also seems to be very "grabby"

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Look at the pads are they very shiny or low on wear ?
If very shiny try lightly sanding the surface or replace them.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Drums doh, I should read things properly. Even so the same applies for drum shoes the surface may be very shiny or warn though the material.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think we need a clear photo of a brake area to know what it is.

It's more likely to be a band brake or Shimano roller and ramp brake. True drum brakes with shoes and linings are as rare as hen's teeth these days.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm assuming it sounds like a scooter not unlike billybouyos one.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the photo Gary, it's not one I recognise though. It's definitely not a drum brake with linings. It will be a metal to metal one like a roller and ramp type, hence the screeching. They need grease to stop the noise.

The Shimano one has an oiling hole and they sell the special type of grease for the job:

Roller brake grease

10 gms, Part number Y-041 40020

I can only suggest you investigate how to get access to the innards and grease as necessary with a high temperature grease. I can see that won't be easy with it on a hub motor wheel with motor cable entry on the same side.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the diagram Gary, so it is a band brake unfortunately, the worst for this sort of noise. That screw doesnt appear to do anything else so may be intended for adding grease but it would only apply grease outside the band. From there it would only spread to between the band and drum by luck as it got hot, but it's all you have so worth a try.

You need a high temperature grease, the small Shimano size doesn't seem to be available here and the dealer size one is too dear.

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
I'm not a professional bike mechanic but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be taking the screw out and putting greese anywhere near the band. There should be two screws with lock nuts, I think they are for adjusting the band. Looks like someone has been messing the screws are usually screwed out hence the need for the lock nuts. Your band is most probably worn.

Attachments